AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just sitting around thinking of all the things we used to do that some people would definately frown upon these days. I'm going to give a few examples of my experiences growing up, " I'm 42" and you guys and gals can share yours.
In high school I would keep my shot gun on the gun rack of my 69 Ford pickup in plain view for hunting after school. No one ever said a thing.
We used to trade pocket knives in class and sometimes the teachers would get in on it.
We would ride bikes with someone on the handlebars with no helmets or pads of any kind, and we lived!
No one ever thought of shooting a classmate or anyone for that matter.
If it got good gas mileage you were laughed off the face of the earth,it had to have a big engine with a four barrel carb.
I could go on and on but I better give everyone else a chance, enjoy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just thought of these, my 3 kids just love it when I bring these up.
They cant believe that we didnt have a microwave or air conditioning. They couldnt grasp that there was one video game system called Atari with a game called "pong" and a 13 inch b&w tv that got 3 channels, 4 if you went outside and turned the antenna just right. Ahh, those were the days!

·
Banned
636 Posts
My childhood was typical; summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. If I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fifteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum. At the age of eighteen, I went off to evil medical school. From there...

:lol:

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I'm 42.

In your grade in elementary school, there was "the fat kid".

There was really only one in each grade level, not even in each class.

We didn't have all these little pot-bellied porkers running around.

(Only about one kid with divorced parents, too.)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Richard W. said:
I'm 42.

In your grade in elementary school, there was "the fat kid".

There was really only one in each grade level, not even in each class.

We didn't have all these little pot-bellied porkers running around.

(Only about one kid with divorced parents, too.)

You know, I never really thought about it, but you are right - there was only one fat kid per grade.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I couldn't agree more with the original poster. I'm not a parent yet but maybe soon and it scares me to death that most of the things I think were perfectly fine growing up are now totally frowned upon if not illegal.

My dad let me sit in his lap and steer the car when I was under 5 years old
We played with not only matches but gasoline as well.
We rode our bikes away in the morning with a packed lunch and didn't come home until after 5pm.
We all ate peanut butter.
Our parents left us home alone and said don't get into trouble.
We talked to strangers but were smart enough to avoid the hippies.
I broke fingers, fell off bikes and out of trees all without seeking medical attention.
I cut myself with a pocket knife.
My dad took me shooting before I was in kindergarten.
I got spanked with a belt.

How am I ever going to learn the "new" rules of parenting if this is how I grew up?
Deros

·
Registered
634 Posts
dtemplar said:
My childhood was typical; summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. If I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fifteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum. At the age of eighteen, I went off to evil medical school. From there...

:lol:
At 18 I began playing with sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads....

:) Greatest movies ever.... :)

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Damn! This peanut butter thing is weird. We all ate it when I was a kid.

And thank you for bringing up that underground parking garage at the Air and Space Museum.

It's down there, and it's so convenient! My dad and I parked there the week the museum opened in 1977.

Those mother-loving terrorists have wrecked everything.

·
Banned
636 Posts
And there was no such thing as a soccer mom. God, I have those fucking stuck up hoity toity bitches! I don't give a flippin' shit about your kid names, sports numbers or their extra curricular activities. You look like idiots with all that sticker shit plastered on the back of your minivan, HUGE SUV or Subaru. :roll:

Oh, put your double no fat latte down, get off the phone and drive, bitch! :evil:

·
Registered
491 Posts
good ol days

I am 55. We use to ride our horses down to the river and camp for the weekend. Most of us had a 22 rifle. We never shot anyone and our parents didn't worry (too much) about us.

I would hitch a ride across town on a slow frieght train.

After raking, baling, and stacking hay all day we would go skinny-dipping in the pond, yes the same one the cows shit in.

We had a tree house.

My uncle had to put blocks on the clutch, brake and gas pedals so I could drive the truck in the hayfields. That was when I wasn't big enough to throw a bale of hay.

I just lost my baby sister last week, she was 50. We spent a few days remembering the good old days before she passed. I will always cherish the memories.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I remember going to the first McDonald's in Virgina. My parents bought me a hamburger, fries and a coke (45 cents for a three course meal, sounds to me like that's a steal). When I asked for a second hamburger (15 cents) my father told me he didn't have enough money.

Where was the "Happy Meal"?

·
Banned
636 Posts
Woodsman said:
I remember going to the first McDonald's in Virgina. My parents bought me a hamburger, fries and a coke (45 cents for a three course meal, sounds to me like that's a steal). When I asked for a second hamburger (15 cents) my father told me he didn't have enough money.

Where was the "Happy Meal"?
Happy Meal was introduced when I was 10...in 1979. Used to love those things. Probably was more than 45 cents, though.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Let me see- used to keep a gun in the car at school, wore jungle boots and /or jungle fatiques (had the leaf camo my USMC sis got me). Heck I've been known to have a keg in the back seat of my car! This was in the late 70's early 80's. The thought of shooting people was the farthest thing from my mind. It was all about girls,beer,cars, hunting etc. Oh yeah pinball and foosball. Life was good back then, what went wrong?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
ole' days

My old man would grab you by the chin to get a point across& my mom used the wooden spoon & belt, on your'e ass.After a while she would hit us with the belt & we would laugh,wow now you look at your'e kids wrong & they threaten you with calling D.C.S.And politions want to know why this country is going to hell, no disiplne at home to learn whats right.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts