AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got it home feew months ago, and grabbed a few mags and headed out to my range i have set up , initial thoughts were i did not like it at all , very uncomfortable to shoot rifle , shoulder pocket was sore after 3 mags

bugged me as to why , wasnt punchy , ive been collecting AK's since the 80's , so i know wat to reasonably expect , so i get it back to the house and im in my gunroom and im perplexed , i did my research and i did not buy into the hate they are shrouded in , and was thinking maybe i finally gat a bad Century rifle , well then it occurred i have never had Poly furniture on a AK , grabbed several rifles from the safe , sure enough the VSKA butt was a full inch longer and got to thinking could a inch make that much of a difference?

well i had a set of Yugo M70 stashed away , got it out and began fitting t to the VSKA ,both handgaurds required major alterations , and the stock had a fair bit as well , 2 hours later it was fitted , grab a couple mags went back to the range and OH Yea , that was better , i had a grin again

finally done with all the changes , mixed up some orange shellac flakes , tinted to a redish plum color and had at it , gave the shellac a couple days to fully cure , then a coat of semi gloss poly to seal ,and once it cured knocked the sheen down with some 0000 wool

lost the bird cage FH and put a AK74 style comp on it

the VSKA comes with no provision for a sling , but since i used a yugo set i had the rear swivel already , since the VSKA does not utilize a cleaning rod , i drilled the lower HG escutcheon and used a machine thread swivel mount , then used a uncle mikes swivel locked into the side position , and painted with the rest of the rifle , i had a 1970's Hungarian sling i put on it

Aluma Hyde 2 the whole rifle matte black to get rid of the 2 tone

put a Midwest Industries mount with a Leupold RDS freedom Red Dot

bolt carrier came blacked , i polished bright

have at least 500 rds through it so far ,and not a single hiccup , and its a fun rifle , very happy with it

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bravo! You obviously turned a lemon type situation into lemonade! Many purists hate on the VSKA, however they are the gateway drug into the world of AK collecting for a lot of folks.

My guess is that they are fine for the quantity of rounds and type of shooting that most people do, so Century probably knew what it was doing when it created a platform targeted to this demographic.

Your VSKA looks awesome, and would easily turn some heads at the range I used to go to in Texas.

Well done!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks , i did a good bit of research on them ,although i admit it was a impulse buy

after the Ras debacle they beefed up the forward trunnion ,receiver ,and the bolt carrier group which were all the issues with the RAS 47, i do not buy the whole "it will blow up in your face" rant that seems to be common place due to a video from 6 years ago , no way Century would knowingly continue to flood the market with a rifle with known issues of catastrophic failure and from what i read they corrected the issues more than satisfactorily

dude did a unbiased 5k test , the bolt of a WASR with only 500 rds on it looked worse than the VSKA bolt after 5k rds

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks , i did a good bit of research on them ,although i admit it was a impulse buy

after the Ras debacle they beefed up the forward trunnion ,receiver ,and the bolt carrier group which were all the issues with the RAS 47, i do not buy the whole "it will blow up in your face" rant that seems to be common place due to a video from 6 years ago , no way Century would knowingly continue to flood the market with a rifle with known issues of catastrophic failure and from what i read they corrected the issues more than satisfactorily

dude did a unbiased 5k test , the bolt of a WASR with only 500 rds on it looked worse than the VSKA bolt after 5k rds
the one guys test he literally had to knock the sling mounts,to find a issue , he dumped dirt into the chamber while firing , creek dumps , he left in the snow buried over night , and basically abused it and after 5 k could not find issues worth crying about

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks, not going to lie , i love this rifle now , i cant wait until i get 1k through it and have a look see

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you made it work for you. Most people don't want to put that kind of effort in to it. They just immediately resort to giving it a bad rep. Congrats!
im a tweaker and tinker'er'er'er'er , its my hobby so i enjoy it , right now im working on my AMD 65 , the rifle always felt like it was incomplete to me, it has the brake/compensator welded on so i ground the welds down and polished it out so the compensator and FSB look like one unit , then reblued , cut a gas tube and flared to put a upper handguard on , got a slotted cheese grater to match the lower , have a stock riser that bolts onto the folder so i can get a cheek weld , shellaced the grips to give them some depth , should be done with it by the end of August

Reactions: scottyb
1 - 9 of 9 Posts