AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting for well over ten years for the right one to come along, and thanks to forum member AZAK, my wait is finally over!
These rifles are some of the last old world steel and wood semi auto rifles in a full power cartridge that were massed produced, and IMHO, one of the least appreciated out there. I've run across several dozen of these over the years at gun shows, and online, but either the caliber was wrong for me, they were asking far too much, or the rifle was screwed around with by CAI, or buba who decided to power sand the stock.

This one is a solid example, and has all the correct parts that an Egyptian contract FN49 should have. Out of the 5 parts that are serial numbered, 4 match; receiver, barrel, bolt and bolt carrier. The top cover does not match, but is original Egyptian. Maybe it got mixed up by CAI when they were imported, or maybe it was replaced during an overhaul in Egypt. The stock looks to be original to the rifle, and shows old and well done wood repairs. It is solid, with no cracks or major damage, but does have that "been there, done that" look that I like.
I was likely the first person to have the action out of the stock in several decades as the grease was VERY old, and a pain in the ass to remove when cleaning everything up. I ended up having to take the trigger assembly apart due to a lot of sand in it, and I never want to do that again. The hammer spring assembly has an inner, and outer spring, and will wear your thumb out trying to get the pin back in. I did it, but it was not easy.

I took it out to the range today to set the gas system, and do an initial test fire. The weapon performed flawlessly with Yugoslavian 1954 ball once I set the gas system. Ejection was smooth, and the cases were in a neat pile at about my 3 O'clock, and were not dented from too much gas pressure. I figured Yugo ball would do the trick, and it worked great.

My test fire was from the bench at 100M at an issue "E" target with a center hold, and although the groups were a bit low, I was pleased with the group, and will not adjust anything. I'm guessing the EG SMK ammo will print slightly higher at 200M and over, but that will come another day. Enough typing, here are some pics:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
I have an ABL SAFN, with scope. I have not shot it in years, it reminds me of a VERY heavy Garand. IIRC some of the ABL models came in FA, although I thought that would be rather bad seeing they don't have a detachable mag.

·
Registered
22,636 Posts
:banana::hail:

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Does it have the Egyptian Eagle of Saladin or King Farouk's crest on it? I too like the been in service in a foreign land look and feel of that rifle. Nice rifle Rob.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've had a couple over the years and I like the gun very much. The first one I bought was a .30-06 that someone had "sporterized". I picked it up as it was dirt cheap and I had thoughts of doing something about the bad sporterizing job. It was a little too far gone and some retired LTC wanted it bad, so I sold it to him. I had an Egyptian 8mm. One of the typical Century imports. It had a broken firing pin straight from Century. I fixed it and sold it to a buddy as I was then in the Army and not near the rifle, and he wanted it and it was just collecting dust in storage at another buddy's... It was no where near as nice as JoeMomma's since it didn't have the original stock, etc. I still have a Venezualan 7mm.

Some day I'd like to get another 8mm shooter. It would fit well with my Maddi.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It will most likely have King Farouk's crest on it. Nice rifle! I have an FN49 and they are typical FN Quality.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Very nice. A buddy of mine has a really nice example of the Luxembourg variant that I have reminded him that I want first crack at should he decide to sell it. I'm sure to remind him at least once a year, just in case he forgets. So far I've reminded him about 20 times. Really nice rifles.

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does it have the Egyptian Eagle of Saladin or King Farouk's crest on it? I too like the been in service in a foreign land look and feel of that rifle. Nice rifle Rob.
The Kings crest:

Barry, I'd love to get my hands on an ABL marked one, but I've never actually seen one outside of books. I was really lucky to find a copy of Wayne Johnsons book, and I just received it yesterday from Germany of all places. I'll have to look closer, but it looks like my copy is actually signed. Wayne covers all the variants in great detail.
I'll post some more follow up pics when I get back to the range for some real distance, and see how it does with EG steel ammo.

Thanks for the comments guys, I've been after an 8mm autoloader for years!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I just handled a beautiful Eagle stamped FN today at my local Cabela's. I would have grab it if I had the cash.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I've always wanted one of the 762 NATO Argentine models, those guns rarely show up for sale. I enjoyed my Egyptian 49 while I owned it.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Joe I have been thinking about a FN 49 for a long time and now well I think Ill keep my eye out for one. :)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
LMAO Joe, guess what I sold yesterday at the OGCA show........yep my number matching FN49, execpt mine was a Venezualan in 7mm. Great rifle, fine craftsmanship, if only it was in 7.62×54r.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
Been waiting a few weeks for this one. She's a beauty, JM. Well worth the wait and suspense. Your attention to detail really shows in the pics...Enjoy!

:hail:

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LMAO Joe, guess what I sold yesterday at the OGCA show........yep my number matching FN49, execpt mine was a Venezualan in 7mm. Great rifle, fine craftsmanship, if only it was in 7.62×54r.
Those are some of the best conditions models, but unfortunately milsurp 7mm has gone the way of the Dodo. I'm guessing the money you raised will help the fund the project you mentioned?

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been waiting a few weeks for this one. She's a beauty, JM. Well worth the wait and suspense. Your attention to detail really shows in the pics...Enjoy!
Thanks man. Since I will likely never own a G43, this is a more reasonable option for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts