AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few baffles I made today for a few can projects. The .22LR baffle is aluminum and was an initial test for a design I tossed together. I have to do a few alterations to the design but it should sound as good as any K-baffle .22 can out there. It's unfinished hence no dater hole or coating. Once I come up with a final design I'll anodize the baffles. The larger baffle is for a .30 cal can cut out of 304 SS. Lathe time is fun.

CMS

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Very nice!! I've been toying with the idea of building a can myself also. Looks like a ton of fun. The .30 cal baffle looks to be a "m" style. Is that what your going with?

·
Banned
950 Posts
I trust you have your paperwork in order otherwise, lock up your dog and guard your cornhole.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
leave them raw. Then just give them all a lite coat of Anti-seize. They will clean up real easy with about any solvent even gas. It also makes them a breeze to remove when the tube gets dirty.

Are you going to have a blast chamber area?

Remember no extra baffles or end caps. :) They don't like that.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
leave them raw. Then just give them all a lite coat of Anti-seize. They will clean up real easy with about any solvent even gas. It also makes them a breeze to remove when the tube gets dirty.

Are you going to have a blast chamber area?

Remember no extra baffles or end caps. :) They don't like that.
Working for an SOT has its perks. :twirl:

The .30 cal design is a pseudo-caged M baffle. Removes the need for spacers but it's a bitch to turn on the lathe.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This may sound a little weird, but you guys seem to know what you're doing, so I'll ask. Has anyone ever tried freezing the can with CO2 prior to firing, to absorb more heat and therefore noise? Just wondering :eek:

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Please post some specs of the both the K and M cans. It's always interesting to see what people are doing.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Progress.....I'll get you some specs tomorrow. I left all of the pieces/parts at the shop.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woot... Endcap complete and tube threaded. Just need to make the thread adapter.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More progress. The dimples on the endcap will be gone after I turn it to about 1/2 its current width. They're just for ease of removal after life fire testing. I'll likely mill a slot or make a spanner wrench hole. The baffles all have a .280" bore and the endcap has a .320" bore to allow for some yaw as the bullet passes through the wipe. I altered the endcap design from what I had originally intended. It will still allow for the use of wipes, but requires endcap removal to replace. I want to get an idea of how it will sound wet and wiped before I go about spending 2-3 hours building the part. That's also the reason for the aluminum endcap. Once I get it tuned in I'll go to a stainless endcap. The rear endcap, which will be threaded for the muzzle, IS going to be stainless. Once I hear how it sounds I'll go ahead and mill the ablative port and thread the ring which will cover the port. Progress is slow but progress is progress.... Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Got it together today...VERY pleased with how it sounds on a rifle. Dare I say little discernible difference from my pilot and sparrow out in the open, which are quite a bit larger. It's louder than I want on the pistol...but haven't shot it wet or wiped yet so we'll see...

Video on both the rifle and pistol:
VID-20140107-00007_zpsa6086d6a.mp4 Video by cms81586 | Photobucket

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was with CCI standard out of the Ruger. It would have been a "little" quieter with subs, but I need to go with slightly tighter baffles (.250-.255" vs the current .280") and may remove the wipe feature and add a 5th baffle instead. Should keep the same or nearly same OAL and accomplish this. Might even just do all SS, tig weld it up, and dip it when it needs cleaned.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shot it today with wipes. Wiped and wet (with wire pulling gel) , it was very comparable to my AAC Pilot. Not great but acceptable. I did experience some bullet destabilization with the rubber gasket wipe (2 out of 15 shots). I'm going to try a few other materials including vinyl to see if it will punch through the wipe cleaner. Here's an accuracy comparison. About the same except for the one flier that gave an oblong bullet hole (top left hole on the left target). Not bad for 15yds out of a Ruger MK III. I'll try shooting it wiped out of the rifle to see how it does, but honestly it's quiet enough on the rifle that it's not necessary. I grabbed a box of 50 that I had apparently shot 1/2 of already, so I shot 15 wiped and 10 more without, informally offhand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts