• I lost all my guns in a boating accident

Votes: 9 20.9%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The AK Forum 1st Annual Midwest Regional Sorta 4 Corners Meet/Shoot/BBQ 2014

Hello Midwestern AK Builders/Collectors/Shooters, let’s get together for a day of fun, comradery and meet some of your forum brothers.

I have been speaking via PM with some of the regional members and I think we can pull off a day of fun and food at the range.

It will officially be Saturday Sept 27[SUP]th[/SUP].
Watch the thread for possible date changes due to weather etc.

Open to all AK Forum members, local or not. Also open to friends and family of AK Forum members that can be respectful of forum members, range rules and follow common gun safety practices.

The range is in Missouri so if you want to (and I want you to) bring NFA items like SBR’s or MGs across state lines, file your ATF form 5320.20 now. Be sure to include all states you would pass through. For example I have to drive through MO & IA to get to Omaha, NE from Kansas City, KS. This form is good for 1 year. I believe that Missouri allows MG's, Suppressors, SBR's & SBS's but not AOW's or DD's. If that is not correct someone please let me know.

https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf-files/atf-f-5320-20.pdf

I used to do something fun called the log saw. I would love to do that again. Teams shoot at a piece of 4x4 and essentially race to cut theirs down first by shooting it.

About the Range

The location at Riverbreaks, a Missouri Department of Conservation Area is central to our 4 states.
Area Summary

I picked this range for 2 reasons.

1) It is out in the middle of nowhere. That eliminates safety issues like the urban kids that frequent other unmanned ranges like Pigeon Hill and shoot their guns out of their car windows at random. If you have ever been to Pigeon Hill you have likely also seen that the bathrooms and other infrastructure have been used as targets. Since this range is so remote, the public attendance is lower making more room for us.

2) It is unmanned. No range masters to gripe about rapid fire or issues with someone thinking steel case ammo is steel core ammo. No prolonged waiting while yet another person has to walk down range to change their target every 3 minutes akin to children having to use the bathroom on a road trip. Why didn’t you go when we were just stopped a few minutes ago?

There are 25, 50 and 100 yard ranges. The back of the range is lined with that orange plastic fence material you see on construction sites. You are supposed to hang your own paper targets on it. If anyone wants to bring steel targets or target hangers I’m sure that’s fine. You will need to bring your own clothes pins (or something similar) or tape to attach your paper targets to their backer.

The range is entirely disabled accessible including the restrooms.

Rifle/handgun only. No shot shells are allowed at the range, I'm not sure if slugs are OK or not. Their rules not mine.

No alcoholic beverages are allowed on the shooting range or in the adjacent parking lot. Let’s not give them a reason to ask us to leave.

As it is away from town we may be better off bringing/grilling our own food. If someone wants to bring a grill I’ll bring the charcoal.

More info

Shooting Ranges and Outdoor Education Centers | Missouri Department of Conservation

Area Shooting Range Detail

Google maps directions here

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Post your tentative RSVPs in this thread so I know who to PM as info is updated/changed.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
As long as it doesn't interfere with 3gun, I'm definitely in. I would be there from Omaha.

Reactions: CDALY05

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would definitely be interested if the date works out!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm in mid-mo, thanks for the invite. Not sure if I will be able to make it or not at the moment though, will keep an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Not to high jack, but I was gonna try and organize one in central ohio a couple years ago, got the okay from KF, then shtf and ammo was hard to find at a decent price, then after that went back to normal, the range changed ownership and the new owner really cleaned the place up, and is in the process of building a shoot house now. When that's finished I might try to organize one for next spring.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to high jack, but I was gonna try and organize one in central Ohio a couple years ago, got the okay from KF, then shtf and ammo was hard to find at a decent price, then after that went back to normal, the range changed ownership and the new owner really cleaned the place up, and is in the process of building a shoot house now. When that's finished I might try to organize one for next spring.
I think it would be great it we could get 6-8 regional events going every year. Bring the community back together a little. All I've ever been to were Arfcom related events and I get tired of the "AKs belong in a trash can" rhetoric.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Might be in for one of the September dates. August is still a bit hot for me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Set one up for the TN/VA/KY guys. Then we can razz eachother about who does it better.
I am not nearly orginized enough to set that up. The only shooting range I know of here is indoor. It is the largest indoor range in the country, and a nice place, but not really condusive to an organized social shoot IMO. I would try to attend if it was set up though.

I have my doubts about how successfull it will be since not a lot of people even participated in the 25 yard marksmanship contest. I thought that was a cool idea too. I hope it is a success!

I see someone else lost their guns in a boating accident! LOL, Ther sure are a crapload of guns in America's waterways!

·
Super Moderator
12,276 Posts
sounds like a blast. literally. about any date would be good for me, but I'm trying to pay off a bunch of bills so money will be the only issue. I have ammo and guns all I need is gas for the Hummer.
I might have to run down past KC and pick up my 16 year old cousin and her .50 cal to shoot.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Ah man, I'd kill to be there! I don't know how the hell I'd react to seeing that many AK's from the collections of the biggest AK nuts in the world though....

Good luck, hopefully it gets the rest of us moving to do the same. Seems like everytime the idea ever popped up for an AK shoot around my area it fell through

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Wow, shorter drive than I thought. Could probably make it there and back in a single day.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I am not nearly organized enough to set that up. The only shooting range I know of here is indoor. It is the largest indoor range in the country, and a nice place, but not really conducive to an organized social shoot IMO. I would try to attend if it was set up though.

I have my doubts about how successful it will be since not a lot of people even participated in the 25 yard marksmanship contest. I thought that was a cool idea too. I hope it is a success!

I see someone else lost their guns in a boating accident! LOL, There sure are a crapload of guns in America's waterways!
Start a thread and see what happens? There are a ton of core members in TN.

I spoke with 2 good friends who I have yet to introduce to each other (fellow members) and a mod from my region who may only remember me for the many times I've griped about the feedback system :peep:, after they showed some interest I felt it would be enough even if it was just the 4 of us to get together. Then I spent some time combing threads to find guys from these 4 states and PM'ed about 50 more people. Maybe 25 have been on this month, a dozen or so this year and another dozen or so not for a long time but you never know who might still get an email through the board. I've tried to do this before with no success and even tried to get a build party going a few years back when I had the perfect place but only had a few responses. I figure if I start small, maybe it will bloom in a few years.

Wow, shorter drive than I thought. Could probably make it there and back in a single day.
What state would you be coming from? We'd love to have you.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
What state would you be coming from? We'd love to have you.
North central KS, about an hour west of Topeka. Roughly a 3 hour drive for me from what I can tell.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts