AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one point I thought it was the ultimate self defense cartridge. My first handgun purchase was a gen2 Glock M22. It had the ban era 10 round mag's. Now, I'm going with 9mm, once I buy a suitable pistol. Thinking about a FN FNX. I like a pistol that can be cocked and locked and could never get really comfortable with the Glock trigger/safety set up. M1911 is still my favorite fun gun though.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Won a Glock 4thG 27 at a GunShow. My CC now. Love it. As comfortable to shoot as my 1911. Love the 40S&W.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Man, I think of all the money buying and trying different handguns. I've tried the Beretta PX4 Storm, Steyr M40A1, Taurus Millennium Pro 24/7 and Glock 23 Gen.3. Just in the .40 caliber.:) CCW the Glock on occasion but have not tried the M&P 40. I removed some of the grip that came in contact with my palm and then did a rudimentary stippling job. It is better than what a Gen. 4 could offer for my purposes. Lastly, my reason for a Glock was the parts availability.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You got that right! I have spent countless amounts of money trying pistols out. I have tried the Taurus 24/7 pro, the FNS 9mm(thinking about trading this off), LLama .380, Russian Makarov, Glock 23, To name a few. I still keep my Kimber series one and my S&W model 66 but they really are not carry guns. The right ticket for me was the Glock 19 in an appendix carry. Dale Fricke makes a great holster and he's a really nice guy. Theres a guy out there (there being everywhere) That will say something like 9 sillymeter or .40 short & weak. However the right balance is up to you. For me the Glock 19 had a great balance between firepower and capacity. I'm a thin guy so the Glock 19 is concealable. The Glock 19 has full size controls where as small pistols like the Llamas controls are hard to utilize. The Glock 19 sights are high visibility. And yeah I shot it more accurately and faster than my Glock 23. Good luck on what ever you decide.

Merry Christmas

Josh

·
Registered
22,589 Posts
I've got a Sig 229 in .40 ...I kinda want a G23 as well eventually since for some reason I can control it a lot better than the G22.

Personally I've got a lower and upper limit for handgun calibers. 9mm being the lowest (excluding .22 LR) and 44 mag being the highest. My reasoning being practicality and proliferation. I had a CZ in 9x18 but sold it. availability of the round might dry up since it's not really a 'domestic' caliber. nothing against it.. although the 12 round mag was pretty nice and it fit my hand well. It went to a good home though.

That being said I wouldn't turn down a good deal on something outside those specs

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have sound reasoning Gauge. I like the 9x18 as a fun round. I've got a CZ83, Bulgy Mak and PA63. Somewhat stocked up on surplus because I bought it when it cheap. Haven't shot any of them in year's though. Come to think of it, I've never shot the PA63. Couldn't resist it for the price though. Merry Christmas dude.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Been there done that. Had a a few .40 handguns all were snappy and I didn't like them for one reason or another. This winter I came into a deal I couldn't refuse. A HK P2000 with 6 mags and ammo for $599. It's the softest shooting gun I ever owned.

As for the FNX. I looked in to them at one point but they don't do anything my G19 doesn't do better

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Arik, I like them because of the cocked and locked feature and manual safety. The Glock's always felt like carrying a 1911 loaded with the safety off. I will agree the G19 is a very useful weapon for those that are safe/comfortable with it's use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You might like the FNX9. I have been shooting the FNX9 for over a year. It has become my favorite. I like the option to carry cocked and locked or DA/SA. After a very short break in period, it is very dependable. It shoots anything: hollow points, steel, etc. I can't remember the last time I had a malfunction. The FNX9 is way more accurate than I am. My biggest challenge was finding a good holster. I use a Serpa but I am looking for a more covert option. Extra mags were a little pricey and hard to find, but mine came with 3 17 round mags. If you can find a loaner or rental from your LGS, I highly recommend trying it.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Jag, I have friends that think the same way. They grew up and fought in the Balkans. They are used to gun like TT, which isn't chambered till ready to fire. A lot of them looked at me like a mad man when they saw me carrying a loaded G19. In the end, to prove to them it was safe I ended up throwing my loaded G19 up and down the driveway. This is the same G19 that is my daily carry. Nothing happened anxiously

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Arik, I have a couple of Polish Tok's with retro fitted "safety's". I wouldn't carry them cocked and locked. Hell, they're only fun/collectible gun's for me. A 1911 I would feel carrying C&L all day every day.

·
Banned
154 Posts
im thinking the same right now love my M&P .40 VTAC and .40c but i want a new gun to shoot production with. I cant wait for the new Arsenal Firearms Strike one. that looks like an amazing pistol. you might consider it when it comes out.

·
Registered
22,589 Posts
im thinking the same right now love my M&P .40 VTAC and .40c but i want a new gun to shoot production with. I cant wait for the new Arsenal Firearms Strike one. that looks like an amazing pistol. you might consider it when it comes out.
You should get that as well as the strike two and the strike three...

then they're out.

Reactions: Beau

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
The FNX-9 is a nice handgun...very similar to the HK USP with a V1 trigger. I prefer my Glocks to it for everyday carry though. Simple is best...draw and shoot. I used to swap around to different carry guns but it started get to me that I was changing the manual of arms regularly, yet not training enough with each firearm I was carrying. Now it's a Glock G19 for 3 seasons and a HK-45C for the winter. Once I pick up a Glock G21SF that will be my winter carry gun. Ultimately I'll go to all Glocks for every day carry and the others for either in the house, the range, and as what I call "desert guns"...just something to have on my while out riding or hiking in the desert. Holster options suck for the FNX. At one time the only option was a HK P30 Serpa that the FNX would fit into. Now there's a few options out there...none of which I liked. Fixed that with my own handywork...the wife enjoys her FN even more now.

The wife carried the FNX for a while and then tried to steal my G19 so I bought her a G19C.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I carried a S&W SW99-40 for over a year. Great gun, first to offer removable backstraps. I now carry a G26, with the occasional carrying of a S&W 4013. The one I shot best though was Beretta 96 full size. You can carry it concealed but it is a big gun.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I thought there was only one guy in the room qualified to handle the Glock fo-tay! ;-)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts