AK Rifles banner

That what I'm talkin' about!!! New Arsenal SAM-5 inbound...

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  BlackScot 
#1 ·
Attention AK freaks and wannabe freaks. I decided to get an Arsenal SAM-5 in .223
almost a little too late. My dealer did find one at Lew Hortons. I do want 13-15 of the black Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle mags as soon as K-VART
gets them back into stock (blue light will be flashing). What .223 ammo are you SAM-5 guys shooting. I did notice that the barrel is a 1/7 twist so I can shoot some of my Black Hills 77 match or Black Hills MK262 OTM that I have, but that damn stuff is kinda pricey. I WOULD like to balance between accuracy and the pshyco-expensive Black Hills OTM. This makes my 4th AK-47/AK-74, making me officially own more AK's than AR's. I guess that makes me offically an AK freak... :hail:

TIA,

P.S. I am 86ing the crappy looking SAM-5 brake and getting a 14mm X 22mm reducing bushing to mount a Krebs AK-74 brake. Any other mods to think about except for a Krebs peep sight???

AC

#2 ·
well if your switiching brakes,...dont fuck around with anything else but a Vortex,....and the SA-M5 comes with a RPK sight,.. which is adjustable for windage,...so it is very easy to sero.

as for ammo,.. i just use some cheapo wolf 62gr FMJ's or some S&B 62gr SS109, i have not shot anything heavier yet but the rifle should handle up to 75-80 gr with its twist rate

ive got a vortex like flash hider on the way,...if it doesnt work like a vortex im trashing it,..but the only other modification i made was to scrap the skinny pistol grip that is standard on al AK-47's/74's and put on a overmolded pistol grip,...feels alot better having a grip that fills my hand.

i may look for a Korbra once i get square with the tax man

but you will love your new rifle,.if you havent already get a clear 5.56 /.223 mag from K-VAR id say get one,...even if just for show, and get the black ones for everyday use.

and "black and beautiful"

#5 ·
Any other mods to think about except for a Krebs peep sight???

IMO they don't need an aftermarket sight..
They definately deserve a Redstar arms trigger, the Arsenal one is the only crappy part on the rifle.
I always use a Black Jack buffer in my rifles, but that is personal preference.
I put a bulgie FH on min, more for bling than performance.
I like Kobras, mine is currently wearing one. The .223 definately deserves an optic of some type.
I bought my SA m5 about 5 months ago. At the time the dealers were having a hard time moving them at all. A couple shipment of mags show up and they disappear off the market. :neutral: The SA M5 is the by far my favorite current model AK. You're going to love yours.

#7 ·
Just an FYI, when my dealer called Horton's (last week) all they had was the postbans, in black or green. This is just what they told us. A good price, but not what I wanted. This would mean no threaded barrel. I ended up ordering one monday from deerslayer. He had some prebans left in green, not my first choice, but better than a postban black one. Just my 2 cents.

#8 ·
hkinfl said:
Just an FYI, when my dealer called Horton's (last week) all they had was the postbans, in black or green. This is just what they told us. A good price, but not what I wanted. This would mean no threaded barrel. I ended up ordering one monday from deerslayer. He had some prebans left in green, not my first choice, but better than a postban black one. Just my 2 cents.
I think the same two people ( at Lew Hortons ) told alot of other dealers that they were postbans, and then someone with some AK knowledge showed them how to unscrew the muzzle brakes. If mine shows up as a post-ban, I will be real disapointed, but my dealer assured me that is WAS A NO-BAN...

AC

#13 ·
cruzie27,

The mag came from Germany via Stottman.

It is a comercial VERP RPK mag and was blocked to 10rds with a wire loop that took all of two minutes to remove :lol:

It also needed considerable mods to get it to work correctly in the SAM and a converted Saiga.

If you want one I am sure the Rob can get you one, but they are not cheap, about $150 ea, and the mods are pretty invasive.

Unless you can weld pretty good and are not afaid of possibly throwing $150 out the door, have at it.

Here are some pics of the mods.

Front

Back

I am glad you got the RPK set and you like it.

You must post pics fo the RPK when it is built for us all to see.

#14 ·
i will post pics of the RPK as soon as it gets done.

i know to make a 5.45->5.56 there has to be some fileing done,..but what did you have to weld?

i know if i use a black ((10)) 5.45 in my SA-M5 i have to file alot but it locks up tight,..would i have to weld the part that hooks under the trunnion and into the mag catch?

i do have a little piggy bank set aside for one of those mags,...but i want it for my Krinkov build

#15 ·
This is sort of a hijack, but it is about 5.56 AK mags so it kinda applies.

The mods invloved removing the built in feedramp at the front of the mag.
I had to remove about 3-4mm of material to get it so it would fit under the feedramp in the trunnion.
This was easy.

The rear was the pain.
The factory tang was too thin and needed to be built up so that it would look in tight.
The problem you run into is getting it welded without melting/burning all the plastic away.
I have a friend that can weld liek crazy and it still took him about 1-2 hours to get it done to where it would work.
You just could not pour on the heat like normal.
The other thing that kept messing wiht us was when the polymer woudl burn, it gave off a gas that pushed the tig gas out of the way and in general caused fits for the weld.

We ended up jury rigging a small shield to block the gasses and then it went OK.
The mod is not perfect and we still melted some of the mag but the tang is still rck solid in the mag and the mag works perfectly.

I would not do it again.
30rds is enough, but the cool factor of a 45 is strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.