AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago I bought a 1979 G kit & Armory receiver from member Swanny.

I remember that receiver well, it's a good receiver by the way.

A couple months ago I bought a TGI AK-74 truck gun, I was told the receiver was "Made in Bulgaria" not that it matters but I believe that's B.S.

I remember when I received my Truck Gun and saying to a friend of mine boy this looks so much like a Armory U.S.A. receiver, one of the things that gave it away was the Dimples & the cut for a double hook trigger.

I don't think the Bulgarians even use Double hook triggers.

Any way here is something interesting to say the least a Receiver for 7.62x39 with Armory U.S.A. Huston, TX on the left side, and Made in Bulgaria on the right side, and TGI Knox,TN underneath.

I believe the receivers were sent to Bulgaria from the U.S.A. then they took old parts kits and built then on U.S. made receivers and then sent them to TGI.

Look at this :
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =173388581

· Registered
1,782 Posts
I think you got it right.

US receiver, sent there, Made into a rifle in Bulgaria, then sent back here as a sporting rifle
opened up and made into an assault rifle stateside and sold with 10 US parts.

I dont see anything fishy.
Thats for the SSR rifles

-----
the Truck gun is a US built gun, BG parts on a US receiver that is unfinished, so cosmetically, its a throw in the truck kinda gun.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
meh

$400 truck gun is a good deal regardless.

I guess the only "bad" thing is since its not marked as a US receiver, we can't count it as a compliance part.

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ClayC said:
meh

$400 truck gun is a good deal regardless.

I guess the only "bad" thing is since its not marked as a US receiver, we can't count it as a compliance part.

Yes that is true, good deal regardless.

I bought one, good rifle.

I was pointing out that they were advertised as having receivers that were made in Bulgaria, and that is not true.

Yes it was still a good deal for the $400.00 truck gun.

· Super Moderator
10,195 Posts
A few years back, Global Trades/Armory USA helped to get ISD of Bulgaria setup for importation of the early SSR-85C series rifles. Global Trades sent one set of dies to Bulgaria (Global's original two set of dies actually were made in Bulgaria first) with ISD of Bulgaria making an additional set of dies. ISD actually built these receivers in Bulgaria on the Global Trades/Armory dies and pattern.

Global Trades/Armory USA also had bigger plans to expand ISD before they went out of business. When Global Trades/Armory USA went out of business, quite a few rifles were in the pipeline to be imported and other projects in the works. This is why you see Lancaster and TGI markings in addition to the other makers marks.

Less than a handful of U.S. made receivers actually made it to Bulgaria for test examples only. The return rifles with Bulgarian made receivers that came back to the states just used the same roll stamp for importers marks that Global Trades/Armory USA made for their domestic production receivers.

Just about all the Amory USA pattern receivers built here in the USA and Bulgaria were made with the double hook opening. Many do not understand that ISD of Bulgaria has no official affiliation with the approved state run factory Arsenal of Bulgaria ((10)). ISD was started using many of the former Arsenal of Bulgaria workers that had been laid off over the years since the fall of Communism over there. ISD did have access and used many surplus parts and milled donor rifles to build the SSR-85 rifles for commercial use and export only. No connection should ever be made that a ISD built rifle is patterned on any official military issued rifled.

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the information Hootbro :smile:

My bad.

It appears the Truck Gun receiver was Made in Bulgaria.

One thing remains true it was a good rifle deal a nice AK-74 for $400.00

· Super Moderator
10,195 Posts
Alfred said:

My bad.

You're welcome.

The ISD stuff has a confusing and twisted history that can be hard to follow. I kinda regret missing the boat on the TGI AK-74 guns but was put off on the spotty quality in how they handled the SSR-85C conversions previously.

· Registered
1,068 Posts
the truck gun may have been the best bargain in a 5.45 rifle. i've only read of a couple of issues of the many that were sold. i wish i would have gotten another.

another note. i have an arsenal usa ssr-74-2 which uses 1.6mm receiver, the dimples are longer and thinner than on the isd branded truck gun. i always wanted one due to the thicker receiver, unfortunately it is a totally fucked gun and will not function correctly. at first i thought it was a head space issue or tight chamber but after closer inspection the front end was installed with it canting upward. member nachtjager claimed he had 300 rounds down the pipe and it shot straight when he sold it to me, he must be the magic man because it's basically a single shot and shoots way low and left. he also claimed it had a commericial epoxy finish on it which ended up being a quick and dirty rattle can job. this was my wifes rifle and pretty much turned her off to doing biz on the forums. probably the only bad experience i've had on this forum and it was a bad one.

Hootbro said:
Alfred said:

My bad.

You're welcome.

The ISD stuff has a confusing and twisted history that can be hard to follow. I kinda regret missing the boat on the TGI AK-74 guns but was put off on the spotty quality in how they handled the SSR-85C conversions previously.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Thanks for the info! Great stuff!

Hootbro said:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.