AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I have one. It is on an un-banned SA 85M KBI import. The gas block, front sight block, handguard retainer, threaded muzzle- all were replaced with the correct parts AKM 63 parts. In addition, I have the sheetmetal handguard AND the cool looking gas tube. On top of that, there's more- I have an original SA 85M blond stock assembly complete with another gas tube. So basically I can swap my handguards for the AKM 63 pattern or the standard Hungarian AKM pattern. Now I also have a standard AKM patterned Kassnar SA 85M. My dilemna- should I keep the model the post ban one that can be converted from AKM 63 to standard AKM OR just keep the AKM? I only want to keep one or the other. My understanding is that they phased out the AKM 63 and kept the AMD 65 for their tank crews etc.

I only want to keep one or the other eventually.

Input appreciated.

7n6

·
Banned
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welll, the handguard retainer is different between the two. The lower handguards will interchange, but there will be ALLOT of play.

I know, the one I had made into an AKM 63 has the ventilated handguard retainer- so I can switch it between standard AKM handguards and the sheet metal ventilated one. The other just has the standard handguard retainer.

I guess my question is: would you rather own a Post Ban Hungarian 85M that you can switch from AKM 63 to AKM or just the Pre Ban AKM?

7n6

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
I know, the one I had made into an AKM 63 has the ventilated handguard retainer- so I can switch it between standard AKM handguards and the sheet metal ventilated one. The other just has the standard handguard retainer.

I guess my question is: would you rather own a Post Ban Hungarian 85M that you can switch from AKM 63 to AKM or just the Pre Ban AKM?

7n6
Well, do you shoot ALLOT?

If its going to be a shooter, then the post ban.

It its going to sit in the safe, then the preban.... Its always going to be worth money.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, do you shoot ALLOT?

If its going to be a shooter, then the post ban.

It its going to sit in the safe, then the preban.... Its always going to be worth money.

I have only one unfired weapon in my collection, a NIB underfolder Kassnar- the rest go to the range at least a few times a year.

I guess my biggest question is, was the AKM 63 phased out of service completely? Because if so, I'll keep the AMD, the underfolder, and the Kassnar fixed stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts