AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from what i understand it's not the correct bipod for the RPK, what bipod is it using and where can a correct one be found?

also, from what i understand some have rear sights for windage and some don't, some have ugly welds and some don't....

what else should i be aware of when buying an AES? i was planning on getting one from JG, are there other vendors that have a better quality?

this will be my next AK project. should have a PSL on the way from AIM this week. :dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I dont know about the rear sight leaf, but the one on mine was great, it had windage and all. even had red writing!

the bi-pod is a PKM version, and crappy. The top covers are ribbed, which is correct for romy RPKs, but not if you are going to russianize the RPK, then you want a smooth top cover.
The welds, I dont know where you heard that, but maybe they were referring to the carry handles. If you are going to russianize it, you would remove that anyway. Also, the Front sight block is different from the russian type. Im sure where ever you buy it from, its a crap shoot on quality, unless you actually GO in person. But, the only way you can get a bad one is if you get really unlucky, but in that case, just exchange it. It cant be all that bad.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Re: Tell me about the AES10B, the bipod and other important

Rrotz said:
from what i understand it's not the correct bipod for the RPK, what bipod is it using and where can a correct one be found?

also, from what i understand some have rear sights for windage and some don't, some have ugly welds and some don't....

what else should i be aware of when buying an AES? i was planning on getting one from JG, are there other vendors that have a better quality?

this will be my next AK project. should have a PSL on the way from AIM this week. :dance: :dance: :dance:
It's not written in stone whether the bipod is "correct" or not. Stottman believes the bipod is correct and I respect his knowledgable opinion. I will say that with a 40 round mag inserted and the "as delivered" bipod deployed the 40 rd. magazine is a bit of a hindrance. I found my longer/"correct" bipod at Military Gun Supply (haven't installed it yet).

It seems there are some trivial differences between AES-10B currently being distributed with no real rhyme or reason other than perhaps thats just what the Cugir factory had on hand at that moment:

Some with a smooth cover - some with ribbed
Some with a standard rear sight - some adjustable windage
Some with laminated furniture - some with solid wood
Some with rough machining - some with high quality machining
Some with Tapco G2 fire control group - some with Century (mine was Century)

It's a crapshoot. I got a ribbed cover, Century FCG :neutral:, adjustable rear sight, laminated wood and high quality machining. Mags fit perfect. Sights are nice and straight.

I'd only be concerned over canted sights or a magwell that was too tight. Adjustable sights and Russian wood can be added.

I got mine from Classic Arms and am very happy with it. It came with a cleaning kit, 4 pocket 40 rd magazine pouch, an odd green nylon sling unlike any other I've seen (kinda cheap), a 30 rd and a 40 rd magazine. I paid about $420 total including transfer. At the local shows with tax these rifles were at least $525. With used Romy RPK kits going for $350 - the Classic Arms price is a win.

I've personally had very good service with Classic Arms and will order from them again. I'd say all vendors are offering the same basic AES-10Bs, but if I had to return one due to canted sights or another issue Classic Arms would be easy to work with and their price made the "crapshoot" worthwhile.

·
Registered
512 Posts
^ As stated above, they aren't all the same. The prevailing theory is these were built to liquidate some leftover military RPK parts and so they often have mismatched numbered parts, surplus parts, or different parts than they "should" have. Some have ribbed top covers, some smooth. Some have RPK rear sights, some AKM. They all have the crappy PKM bipod, which is definitely NOT right - It has a shim welded inside so you can see it was obviously designed for a different barrel profile, and it is barely long enough to support the gun with a standard mag, let alone the correct 40 round mag. The RPK bipod that MGS sells IS the correct bipod. It fits correctly, lines up with the notches in the FSB like it's supposed to, and allows the rifle to swivel, neither of which does the PKM bipod do. The finish on the wood and metal sucks too.

But if you figure to replace the bipod with the correct one, refinish the wood and metal, for not much money you will have a very nice RPK that's closer to an original military RPK than anything that's ever been available or ever will be available.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Everyone is pretty much on the money so far. I just got my AES-10B from Classic Arms last week. Front sight block is straight, mag well is a hair loose (but nothing too bad), nice hardwood stock (it is unfinished though), receiver side scope rail, decent metal finish, all matching numbers, Century FCG, RPK trunnion, heavy barrel, welded on muzzle nut, looked pretty much unfired, and regular AKM rear sight.

It came with 1 40 round mag, 1 30 round mag, green nylon sling, and cleaning kit. The AKM bipod that came with it was too short. If you put a 30 round mag in, the bottom of the 30 round mag hit the floor. The correct 40 round mag was too long. I ordered a regular Romanian bipod for $34 shipped to replace it. Installation was pretty easy. It took me ~20 min with basic tools around the house. I also replaced the FCG with a Tapco G2.

I took it out to shoot and it was noticeable more accurate than my AKs. I didn't shoot paper so I can't say exact differences, but my friend and I both could definitely tell it was better.

It is now one of my favorite commie rifles. For $400 + shipping and FFL transfer, it was a STEAL! I think $550-600 would have been a reasonable price. I just wish it came with an adjustable RPK sight :sad:

The fit and finish is a little bit of a gamble (especially mag wells and front sight blocks) because it is a Century rifle, but for me it was well worth it.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx all! I will be going to mgs tomorrow to pick up a bipod for a rifle I don't even have yet! thx a lot!

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
As long as you can hand pick one, I still think they are the best thing going right now, as probably the best AK imported since the SLR105.. At least for the collectors side.

Here are pics I took of a 1992 RPK, and a 1993 RPK74. As you can see, post communist Romanian RPKs are different from Soviet stuff.

The RPK74 is the one with the carry handle, but I am sure the Romanians standardized it for all calibers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts