AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you all tell me about this AK? I'd like to know as much as I can find out. I'd also like to know what is happening to the finish on the left side of the receiver. Check those rivets out and the front trunnion.

Also, does this have a bayonet lug? I'd like to get a matching bayonet if so.

Thanks!

Enr0P8x.jpg

xJOoHvq.jpg

47yBjiB.jpg

wgwF7oZ.jpg

hZg6yML.jpg

·
Registered
944 Posts
The bayonet lug on these has been milled down on the sides so you can not attach a bayonet, and the muzzle brake has been tack welded on so that it does not have a "threaded muzzle".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bayonet lug on these has been milled down on the sides so you can not attach a bayonet, and the muzzle brake has been tack welded on so that it does not have a "threaded muzzle".
The brake isnt welded on. I can push the pin down on the end and unscrew it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The IO "All American Made" AK's have a poor and sorry reputation. But the guns made in Radom, Poland by Pioneer Arms and imported by IO like the "Hellpup" and Polish "Sporter" are generally well made and high quality.

I have a Hellpup that is unstoppable and runs like a Swiss watch. The Hellpup's serial number is PAC112316 and it has the "fake booster" spot welded on.

I also have 5 Polish "Sporter" front halves (complete barrel assemblies with trunnions) and all had the slant brakes spot welded. Serial numbers are PAC1111136, PAC1111408, PAC1111409, PAC1111514, and PAC1112168. Is yours a later or earlier serial number? Perhaps either yours somehow escaped being welded or maybe they weren't doing this when yours was made.... Did you get it as a new gun?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm interested in these but there is not a lot of info. Mostly people arguing about their origin.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Their origin is stamped right on the gun - Pioneer Arms, Radom, Poland.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The IO "All American Made" AK's have a poor and sorry reputation. But the guns made in Radom, Poland by Pioneer Arms and imported by IO like the "Hellpup" and Polish "Sporter" are generally well made and high quality.

I have a Hellpup that is unstoppable and runs like a Swiss watch. The Hellpup's serial number is PAC112316 and it has the "fake booster" spot welded on.

I also have 5 Polish "Sporter" front halves (complete barrel assemblies with trunnions) and all had the slant brakes spot welded. Serial numbers are PAC1111136, PAC1111408, PAC1111409, PAC1111514, and PAC1112168. Is yours a later or earlier serial number? Perhaps either yours somehow escaped being welded or maybe they weren't doing this when yours was made.... Did you get it as a new gun?
My Sporter serial is only 6 digits (yours are 7). Are you adding an extra "1"? Assuming you are, mine is between your PAC111514-PAC112168 . I got it as a new gun.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Are the spot welds done in such a way that they are easily removed. Did they get into the front sight assembly very much with the welding? Thanks

·
Registered
944 Posts
On most of my barrel assemblies, the spot weld is easy enough to separate from the front sight and did no damage to the sight. But it is deep enough that it messes the barrel threading up to some degree when the brake is removed on some guns, which will require a proper size/pitch threading die to clean the threads up. Unless the brake screws off real easy after you cut the spot weld where it is attached to the sight base, its better to cut the brake up to remove it rather than try to unscrew it and mess up the threads on the barrel.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yes, these are the ones. I wish I had the money to spare to pick up one of the wood stocked ones and one of the folders. Of course in my case this would require having them shipped to a friendly neighboring state to be made "California compliant" and then having them sent here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To the OP, how does your rifle shoot?

I'm very curious how these compare in build quality, reliability, and accuracy with the various Romanian AKs with chome lined barrels (ROMAK-1, SAR-1, WUM-1, WASR-10, etc.)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
BigSal, videos on the Pioneer Arms website show them forging and using newly manufactured barrels.

I am so tempted to pull the trigger on one of these. I have two concerns: the riveting of the front trunion, and rumors that the bolt carriers are cast.

ETA: OP, any chance you could post close up pics of the bolt and carrier?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
BigSal, videos on the Pioneer Arms website show them forging and using newly manufactured barrels.
Thanks man. Are these barrels the same as those used by FB? Also, these are guns made from parts kits right? All Pioneer arms does is add a reciever and barrel right?

·
Registered
944 Posts
The 5 Polish AKM Sporter barrels I had (I still have 3 of them) were all Polish military barrels. Markings are minimal - some proofs and other numbers, and a couple 2 markings for maybe the trunnion barrel journal size and perhaps front sight or gas block (one had a 3 marking but a 2 rear sight base, so I don't think one of the size markings is for this part).

I have seen the video of Pioneer making the barrels, but my barrels are the same as on my original barreled Polish underfolder kit IIRC - I'll have to check this.

The rear sight leaf on these has the Romanian P marking, not the letter used on my Polish kit, so at least the sight leaves and possibly some of the other parts are of Romanian or other Warsaw Pact origin. So it seems that pretty much everything except the receivers on these guns, or at least the older ones, is original Cold War era Warsaw Pact Euro items.

It would be nice to examine some newer ones up close and see what they look like and what kind of parts are being used.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts