AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.First of all, I'd like to apologize.I'm sure this question has been asked a million different times, by a thousand different "Newbies", on a hundred different threads.But,some of those threads are months/years old, and I'd like to get everyone's "fresh" opinion.I'm thinking about buying my 1st Semi-Auto, 7.62x39, AK-style rifle. I've been looking all over the internet because none of my local gun shops have any in stock.Websites like: Atlantic Firearms, Impact Guns, Gun Broker, etc...They all sell AK-style rifles in prices ranging from $500 to $5,000(!). They're all from manufacturers I've never heard of before. Companies like Remington, Winchester, S&W, Colt, Etc. don't make AK-style rifles...My question is, how do I know what's garbage, what's junk, what's a rip-off, what's a quality brand, what's a great deal, etc??????With such a huge price spread, it's hard to decide which to buy. Is a $1,000 AK a good deal? Is a $1,500 AK a rip-off? Is a $900 AK garbage?And, which brands make great AK's? Which should I stay away from?Please everyone, only give opinions and/or recommendations on AK's you've personally owned for a while and shot 1,000's of rounds through.(((Telling me about your neighbors AK that he just bought and only shot once doesn't prove anything about it's reliability.)))Thanks to everyone who take the time to read and reply. I'm sure you're saving me from tons of headaches and wasted money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.......also, (and I'm sure the "AK purists will hate me for this) but I'm looking for an AK with black synthetic stocks. I was gonna "go wood" but I changed my mind.

·
Technical Advisor
16,056 Posts
Pick one from Atlantic Firearms. They sell good quality firearms and stand behind their products.
There are more opinions than you can count., so pick what fits your pocketbook and the look you want.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Welcome! First off, since you already expressed that you want a 7.62x39 AK, you already have a start. Next up would be to determine your budget. While I won't go into specific brands or models for what to avoid, typically your best option will be to stick with a factory made AK with an original barrel, or to find a kit with an original barrel and have that built. Specific suggestions will really depend on your budget. If you say you only have $600 to spend, the "best" option will be different than if you have $1100 to spend. If you're not sure, I'd start by looking at the SLR-107FR. It's bulgarian, has one of the best AK stocks made (polymer AK-100 series stock that looks and feels like a fixed stock when open, but still folds away for storage), and should outlast your grandkids. I would also recommend buying from a place like Atlantic Firearms, who will take your rifle back and get you another should you ever have a problem. Best of luck on your choice and give us your budget to get you started.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Let me break that number down.

400 wolf fmj
17 winchester soft points
500 Lapua 12th (needed the brass)
830 handloads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for replying everyone... My budget really depends on brand and quality. ((((I will gladly pay $1,100 for an AK if it's 100 times better than a $800 one. But. I'd wrather spend $900 if it's the same quality as the $1,100 one. Know what I mean?)))) I respect that Atlantic Firearms will take my rifle back if I haved any problems with it, but I'd wrather just pay a little more and have zero-problems. The AK-style that I want will look 100% original with the exception of black synthetic stocks. (No "sniper style." No "Folding.") I'm not 100% anti-wood, but those are usually more expensive. Plus I like the "tactical look" of black synthetic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay..... Thanks to Glock Holiday, I did a little more reading and research. I think I'm gonna shop around and hope to find a good deal on something with a milled receiver. I'm sure there are tons of people who have AK's with stamped receivers, but my lack of AK-know-how has me afraid I'll end up buying a $600 gun and paying $900 for it. I found an Arsenal with a milled receiver for about $1,250 brand new. Only comes with a 10rnd magazine, but that's easily fixed :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
As far as builders to stay away from I can't help but mention Century Arms International. CAI is definitely capable of making a reliable rifle but they have also produced a lot of lemons. I would only buy one in person when you can give it a good look over before committing to a purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
a milled receiver will last 3 lifetimes. a good stamped reciever will last 2. If you really want to spend the extra $, well thats up to you. I love the hell out of my VEPR in 5.45.Paid $730 for it a year ago. I do believe its the best stamped AK receiver ever made.

·
Banned
950 Posts
OP, you will find one that just works with you. I don't know how to explain that. You can them all, milled, stamped, 74's, AKM's, AR's, everything- then you just get one that seems to be the one that works. It takes a long time trying out various types of weapons to find one that just fits. Ran close to 18K through one LMT AR and figured out, that I didn't really trust AR's- even after all that. I personally like a nice polymer stocked AK 74. However the ammo situation could change at any time which is why I suggested the 107FR. The 106's are good guns but the ammo is priced to high for what it is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts