AK Rifles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I know some of you are into HK G36’s so if you have a TBT T36 this is important.

I posted the other day on an HK Forum that the “18” prefix T36’s were excluded from the machine gun ruling. I sent my T36 back to Tom Bostic and was told mine was not affected by the ruling stating T36’s were now considered machine guns. However, I wanted to get this confirmed from BATF themselves since it would be considered an unregistered machine gun if it wasn‘t true which is no bueno. I contacted the Baltimore Field Office so I would have something in writing that my receiver was exempt from the ruling. After 3 weeks I got my reply a few minutes ago. According them ALL T36’s are considered machine guns regardless of serial number or date of manufacture.

So, what I posted earlier is incorrect. The early T36’s are not exempt from the ruling and need to be sent back to Tom.

I know, someone might post that I shouldn’t have called and rocked the boat but there was no way I was going to risk having an unregistered machine gun without something in writing saying my gun was exempt. There was nothing in the BATF release that stated only a certain serial number range was affected so it was my responsibility to verify. I don’t really want to be a felon. The Special Agent I worked with was really helpful and made sure the info he gave me was accurate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has Tommybuilt publicly announced that the 18 serial prefix T36s are excluded from the recall? As far as I know they've not. So why do you feel compelled to announce it publicly in the first place, and then now retracting it? What is your motive for doing so?

If you're so worried about your 18-prefix T36 you could've just gone through with the upgrade program like everyone else and be done with it. Tommybuilt is offering it to everyone regardless of serial range, it's not like you were being prevented from getting a replacement so I fail to see the logic or need in making a fuzz to the ATF, which has historically been known to provide conflicting statements and opinions in the past.

If Tommybuilt needs to recall certain or all serial ranges of the T36 receivers, it is their responsibility to let their customers know and make appropriate contact to the ATF, not yours.

Furthermore, unless you have a letter from the ATF to substantiate your statement, then it doesn't mean squat. If you do have it, why don't you post it?

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My motive was to inform, to keep people from getting in hot water with BATF by possessing an unregistered machine gun.

That’s what we do around here, we try to help each other out.

This is quite simple, stay with me here... TBT stated in writing the 18 prefix was exempt from the ruling, BATF stated in writing that was incorrect. Regardless of the information being correct or incorrect there is a discrepancy and a disconnect there. If there is a discrepancy there is the possibility for someone getting in serious trouble, like me, or you. I was trying to prevent that.

As for your statement about posting documentation from either all I can say is I make it a habit of not posting private correspondence. The guys around here know me well and know I wouldn’t arbitrarily make shit up and plaster it on a forum to bolster my post count. That’s not what I do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts