AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've often thought that the AK spells 'bad guy' to most folks (including LEOs) and that setting them up with the oft-ragged on tactical look could reduce that knee-jerk reaction in a SHTF situation. Replacing the wood stocks with AR style stocks and swapping to black plastic or railed handguards (in non AK shapes whenever possible) would be the main thing. Then using plastic slab sided mags or clear mags instead of basic black steel AK mags. If you share this outlook, the AK74 is probably a better starting point because it lacks that distinct more drastic AK mag curvature. This is one reason why my 5.45 Krebs KTR03S is my trunk gun. It doesn't scream AK to people. Anybody have any thoughts on this theory?

·
Registered
181 Posts
In a shit hit the fan situation I am not going to care about people's reactions to my manner of protection. I think it is folly to modify a perfectly functional weapon platform with questionable plastic crap for aesthetic purposes. In my not so humble opinion, if you want a rifle that doesn't look like an AK then don't carry an AK. But if you want the most reliable shit hit the fan weapon then you better carry an AK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dalesimpson said:
In a shit hit the fan situation I am not going to care about people's reactions to my manner of protection. I think it is folly to modify a perfectly functional weapon platform with questionable plastic crap for aesthetic purposes. In my not so humble opinion, if you want a rifle that doesn't look like an AK then don't carry an AK. But if you want the most reliable shit hit the fan weapon then you better carry an AK.
Definitely second that opinion!

When it comes to military or surplus weapons, in particular for SHTF purposes.

I want reliability!

After that I want reliability!

And finally I want reliability!

Everything else is on another page someplace!

I'm pretty firm in my opinion that with proven classics like the AK, SKS, 1911A1, Hi-Power, Enfield, 1917, Swedish Mauser, K-31, Moisin Nagent etc. The utmost reliability will come with the original, as designed components!

And for rugged reliability under all conditions, the AK tops that list!

Target Guns? Sure I mess with them just like everyone else.

Same with Hunting guns.

But for serious social or business purposes, nope, I want them the way they came out of the factory, only totally tested and broken in!

Others may, and probably will disagree, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Regards,
:smile:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
If you think that Tapcoizing an AK improves your chances in a SHTF situation you should probably get an AR.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
You really think LEO's will be acting for law purposes during an all out crisis- hell no, they'll be defending their own just like everyone else.

·
Registered
621 Posts
In a SHTF situation, I want my guns as rugged and reliable as possible.....Cheap plastic furniture doesnt fit the bill. I dont plan on seeing anyone in a SHTF situation......So looks are out the window.....and anybody that sees my weapons in that situation.....WIll hopefully only be seeing the business end of them....

·
Registered
243 Posts
I totally see your point about possible LE encounters in a SHTF situation, and i have thought about the wisdom of carrying an AK, and the reaction factor possibly involved in said situation. But i do tend to lean in the direction that when the CSGM( curlers shoot out of grammas hair :shock: -----don't ask)
looks, impressions, etc. will be minor factors in the the information needed to decide the actions that will be taken. Damn, i sound like an empty suit.

What i am trying to say is this: bugging out and running into a cop along the way will be a test of what is in the heart of the cop ( not to mention our's), and if that cop is a decent man or woman, with a true love and understanding of freedom, i don't think that the distinction between the appearence of an AK and an AR will matter..... He will just see that you have a tool of your will to provide and ensure personal protection and freedom for yourself and your loved ones.... OR he will see a man or woman with an Evil Black Rifle.

That assumption is mostly based upon the prevailing assumption that a SHTF situation will be a drastic and sudden occurence, as in a NBC attack, and not an inch-by-inch loss of freedom that is being coordinated and purposely executed by the self-serving elitists we have consistently empowered over the span of decades.

And then there is the resultant offensive action taken by the people who are enlightened and fed up, if that time comes.

A thought: Dr. S, with sound and logical reason, says that we still have a chance to avoid drastic measures by taking and exercising our legal rights ........taking, claiming, laying hold upon our courts in such a fashion as to nullify any execution of tyranny attempting to be carried out to its pointed, logical end thru the judicial branch.

Another thought: In a truly genuine, authentic way, make friends with a cop on the beat, and then with his buddies on the force: social gatherings and the like that might follow will put you into a situation to know, AND BE KNOWN, if the SHTF.

This will give the officers alot more to wrestle with in their spirit if there comes a time when they are handed down orders that present violations of our freedoms and rights.

·
Registered
621 Posts
not to sound like an asshat, hardass...But, In my version of SHTF.....Due to some outide attack/natural disaster, Or a sudden uproar of the american citizens in a form of civil war against the government...NOBODY in uniform will be our friends.......Because if they are still wearing thier uniform they are still a tool of the government, who be regaining control, which is all they care about, being in control of us. Therefore will be looking to disarm, detain, question and more than likely put me somewhere thats "better" for me. As an AMERICAN I have to right to bear arms, decide where I want to stay, and how I want my family to live...NOT THEM. I will not put my family through that. We have a better chance of surviving in the woods alone. than in some concentration camp with thousands of other people breathing the same dirty air, passing around germs and diseases. No thanks bud I will pass. My guns will be for hunting food and self defense. I am not going to go out on raiding parties.....But thats what they will think....Whether its a shotgun or an AK47.....best bet in a SHTF situation......DONT LET THEM SEE YOUR GUNS....Stay away from main roads....and anywhere the authorities may be...
I do not hate the military, police or government. I just feel the latter 2 take too much pride in themselves and need to back the hell off of my rights and personal business.......:::Stepping off of the soapbox:::

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
LOL, I'm already considered the "Bad Guy" for the simple reason that I actually own a rifle. What the fuck do I care about how I'm viewed by guys who will most likely be my enemies anyway ??? :razz:
:byefu: :animak:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
In VA we passed a law that NO ONE can be disarmed during any type of disaster (natural, NBC, terrorism, etc) unless they go into a shelter. :twisted:

G

·
We have yet to pass a law allowing me to carry a loaded weapon of any sort in Illinois.
Doesn't look like we are going to chnge that anytime soon either.
Had a chance with the guy, Brady from Bloomington but he didn't win his preliminary. :sad:
He made the mistake of being publically pro-gun BEFORE the election.
Apparently there are not enough of us that vote to make a difference in the state.
Oh well, it was snowing on primary day, its hard to get out in the cold and vote. :roll:

I'll step down now...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think that would be a very extreme case of SHTF. I believe as long as there is a government there will be LEO presence.
Bryant said:
You really think LEO's will be acting for law purposes during an all out crisis- hell no, they'll be defending their own just like everyone else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts