AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interarms polish tantal that I bought used from a local gunstore. The fit and finish on it is great with one exception, the lever action side folder does not lock up tight when the stock is extended. There is enough movement that it makes shooing the rifle accuratly an issue. I have a romanian push button side folder on another ak and that locks up tight everytime.

Is it common for the lever action tantal side folders to not lock up tight? And any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
My tantal (I built from a kit from copes) locks up rock solid.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine is tight also, but I opted to replace it with wood[I'm keeping the orignal]. If you remove top cover and recoil spring take a good look and see if the spring and or lever are damaged,etc.good luck

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I would think the little wedge connected to the lever is worn enough to make slop. It's either the wedge or the slot the wedge goes into. Besides replacement, I think the only way you could fix that is to take it apart, identify the problem area, build up some weld and file it to fit.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate all of the quick replies! I think SA58 hit it on the head as it look likes the wedge is worn down :sad: I put some grip tape on it and it now locking fairly tight, but I will need to look at welding it for a permement solution.

Any ideas on how to that myself? I do not have any welding tools.

SA58 said:
I would think the little wedge connected to the lever is worn enough to make slop. It's either the wedge or the slot the wedge goes into. Besides replacement, I think the only way you could fix that is to take it apart, identify the problem area, build up some weld and file it to fit.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I would take your stock apart so you can get the lever out. Punch out the two tiny roll pins and unscrew the screw and remove the stock assembly. All the guts will come with it, including the lever/wedge combo.

Just take that into a welding place and have somebody Tig a blob of weld on one side of the wedge. Then patiently, carefully, file that down until you get the fit you need. They shouldn't charge you much for that... $5-10 tops I would think.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I will give it a shot and let everyone know how it works.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a look at the side folder and I am not sure which two pins I need to tap out to get teh folder off. Can someone provide additional detail? Thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Looking down at the top of the trunion, below the mounting screw, there are 2 roll pins side by side. those are the two you remove.
I don't remember there being any other ones.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got the side folder off. I have an early interarms tantal that is built on the armory usa receiver. The side folder fits in so tight that they did not use the roll pins, which is why I was confused on how it attached to the receiver. I had to remove the screw on top and then the pistol grip screw and then slowly tap out the side folder.

Now I am off to get the folder welded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts