AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of driving out the pin that holds the left side selector to the right side safety lever. Do I need to get a set of roll pin specific punches for this or will the one from the buttstock cleaning kit work OK ?? Also for removing the gas tube, what are you guys using to remove that roll pin ??

Don't want to shoot any corrosive without being able to get it off to clean it real good. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Someone had just posted a nice photo play by play of the lower handguard with the screw, but i cannot find it. I could swear it is here at the akforum.
I believe that you do not remove the roll pin, but you tun the scew, probaly cbounter clockwise.
As for the pin on the safety/selector, i am not sure i understand what you want to do.

·
Registered
236 Posts
LEAVE THE ROLL PIN ALONE.DON'T BELEAVE WHAT WAS WROTE IN SHOTGUN NEWS ABOUT TANTALS, THE GUY DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TANTALS.YOU TURN THE SCREW ABOUT 180 DEGREES.DON'T FORCE IT ,GO THE OTHER DIRECTION.THE LEFT SIDE SELECTOR AND THE RIGHT SIDE SAFTY ARE TWO SEPRATE PIECES, UNLESS SOMEONE HAS BEEN PLAYING.LOOK REAL CLOSE BEFORE YOU START PLAYING WITH PARTS.IT MAY NOT BE NECCESARY.
GUNS-R-FUN

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
the screw is a cam and the roll pin provides tension on the high side. no need to remove.

also, the gas tube does not have a pin, just lifts out..

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I knew I'd get the straight info here. :grin:

The roll pin in the FCG seems to be locking the left side selector to the right side safety lever. When you move the safety lever the selector on the left moves out of it's detent in the reciever and back onto the metal behind where it's supposed to be. The roll pin goes thru the safety lever on the right side and seems to hold the two together. Though it doesn't look like it does anything to keep either one actually in the reciever ??

It looks to me like a solid pin holds the left side selector in on that side while the blocky looking portion of the safety lever keeps it in place on the right side ?? I was just wondering if the left side selector could be made to function without being connected to the safety lever ??

I will leave the HG roll pin alone, Thanks again for stoppong me before something got screwed up. :cool:

·
Registered
236 Posts
On Tantals the right side is safe and fire.The left side is Full auto-semi auto-3 rd burst. this is only in Full auto class 3 guns. In the some of the aftermarket versions the 2 levers are connected so that the left side works with the right side,safe-fire.Depends on how connected deturmines how to remove.Look real close and study it before removing.Some that are connect permanatly,you may have to remove tiny pin holding left side lever to shaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts