AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ,
Really like some of the "gray" finished Tantals I have seen pictures of , anyone know exactly what that finish color is ? Ready to finish receiver, other parts and thinking about Alumahyde II or GunKote , Alumahyde seems a bit easier (spray can)very long cure but I can wait. Next ? , some parts have been sitting for quite a while , wrapped them in oil soaked paper towels to prevent rust on bare metal. Somewhere I heard to clean (acetone,brake clean etc.) Then to leech out any remaining oil in oven. Good idea , necessary ? If yes what temp. ? Then of course, Brad blast if possible , re-clean and finish.
Thanks for any help , suggestions

·
Registered
208 Posts
My tantal kit is zinc phosphate park.
I purchased it directly from Wolfsburgbob years ago who imported them.
There is a discussion on the web about factory refurbished rifles were zinc.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Actually phosphated or parkerized Polish guns are after factory repairs.
There is a rummor or not completly confirmed information that some of new AKMS from factory were phosphated/parkerized for some abroad contract and Polish Navy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
mine is also zinc phosphate. its an odd grey that I could never find a direct match too. oil does wierd things to it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I believe what KAPRAL-POLAND above to be 100% accurate. What I would add is some of the wz-88 Tantals in the USA may have been media blasted and zinc parked by P. W. Arms.

I read in a forum post:

1st parts were imported Not from demilitarized rifles.
Later complete kits imported

P. W. Arms offered (3) Tantal options.

1. Collector grade
2. Builder grade
3. Blasted and parked. ( rifles that had corrosion upon import)

If I can find the discussion by the importer I’ll post it here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts