AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way to install the Tantal selector with the left side switch and have both operate together on a semi-auto gun?
Any patern for drilling the holes in a "non-hole " rec?

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I was planning on turning down the OD of the "cross shaft" and underdriling the hole on the other side, sleeving the selector lever and pinning to make up for the smaller shaft diameter..

would that work??

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BigAL said:
I was planning on turning down the OD of the "cross shaft" and underdriling the hole on the other side, sleeving the selector lever and pinning to make up for the smaller shaft diameter..

would that work??
Not sure what you mean?

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
well, I'm not sure what the big deal is with drilling the selector hole. does the tantal not have the "3rd pin" like other ak's? does the selector hole replace the common 3rd pin hole??

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the 3 shot selector is an extention of the right side selector. I think we figured it out today on how to do it, but it requires useing a regular selector and mating the 2 together and pin them together to work together.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'm going to be tackling this exact thing myself within the week and I'll report how I did it here. I absolutely WILL have a selector on the left side DAMNIT!!!!!!!!! :roll: And I'll be trying to use the original parts. This shit's already to much money!!!! :neutral:

:wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tomovich said:
I'm going to be tackling this exact thing myself within the week and I'll report how I did it here. I absolutely WILL have a selector on the left side DAMNIT!!!!!!!!! :roll: And I'll be trying to use the original parts. This shit's already to much money!!!! :neutral:

:wink:
===
I'll watch this space carefully. My Tantal kit is just sitting there awaiting a solution to this dilemma. Jeez, I wish someone would offer this commercially as part of the Tantal build... We're waiting......

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
It won't be too easy. It'll be a bit "involved" but..........I started on it the other night and discoverd my left side selector was bad, no spring loaded plunger/ball :mad: so THAT project is on hold for a few more days until a new one arrives that I had to pay EXTRA for. But I do have an idea..................

:cool:

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I guess my questions is this. even though the tantal uses a left side selector (the right being safety/fire only), does it still use a third pin above the trigger guard? i was planning on using the original selector. i machined the cross shaft down to 4mm, i believ ethe original ID was like 7mm. i was going to drill a 4mm hole on the left side and sleeve/pin the original selector back on the shaft. would this work?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The inside portion of the right side lever doesn't reach the trigger. The protruding pin on the shaft of the left side's selector switch looks like it only goes far enough to actuate the sear's tail. One or more new parts are going to have to be fabbed up as far as I can tell..................... :neutral:

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
i have removed all pins from my shaft and turned it down so it cannot work with the original selector. i guess what i'm asking is can i drill a 4mm hole in the left side of the receiver for the cross shaft between the safety and the selector?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
If you've turned that shaft down to 4mm then yes, you can drill a 4mm hole. BUT.........make sure you've thought of a way to HOLD the left side knob on (or in?)!!!! One of those pins' job was to hold the knob assembled into the receiver. If you just have a knob with a long 4mm shaft on it what will hold it in??

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
i was thinking of pinning it. i'll post a pic tomorrow

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
well, no pics, but i did get everything riveted together. i located/drilled the safety and the selector hole and they came out perfect. i hope to have the build finished by this weekend. it is going to be awesome.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you have a template to drill the holes?

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
i have a drawing, but i question the accuracy of it. i just photocopied the lever, trimmed out the picture, aligned it on the receiver with the top cover in place and center punched it. i can take some approx. measurements of mine if you want me to.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
i have a drawing, but i question the accuracy of it. i just photocopied the lever, trimmed out the picture, aligned it on the receiver with the top cover in place and center punched it. i can take some approx. measurements of mine if you want me to.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BigAL said:
That may help.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I'm going over now to take some pics. i've been thinking of how to retain the left lever. i think instead of pinning, i'll cut a groove around it and use a c-clip. i also thought of using one of the original pins and a spring pushing between the pin and the receiver to keep tension on it. i think the c clip is the way to go.

ok, let's see if i can figure out how to upload pics...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you make it engage??

1 - 20 of 39 Posts