1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Military Inching Closer to Reality?

BY
FOX NEWS INSIDER
// FEB 14 2014 // 8:21PM AS SEEN ON
THE REAL STORY WITH GRETCHEN CARLSON
Could U.S. soldiers soon become real-life "Iron Men?"

The military is reportedly working on a high-tech tactical assault light operations suit, or TALUS, that would employ a form of armor that can shift from a liquid state to a rock-hard solid shield in milliseconds. This would make soldiers impervious to gunfire.

The suits will reportedly also have their own oxygen and heat supplies, and will be able to monitor soldiers' vital signs as well as patch up minor injuries sustained in battle.

Building the suit has certainly been a team effort. Fifty-six corporations, 16 government agencies,13 universities and 10 national labs have put their financial and intellectual muscle behind development of the project."

'Iron Man' Suits for U.S. Military Inching Closer to Reality? | Fox News Insider

·
Registered
22,611 Posts
Yeah right. File that under "Shit too expensive to field" ...sounds like a rehash of "Future Soldier"

There's more of a demand for technology in the way of drones than anything else. We'll more likely see unmanned vehicles in the field than superdooper-ultra-space-marines or some shit.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Hey, if they can get it up and running, and help the troops out there defending us, I'm *all* for it.

I'd love to think my tax dollars go toward this rather than some stupid government bloat.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's a rehash of a program that's been under many names since the 1950's. It's one of those perpetual R&D programs that serves both to advance technology and milk the taxpayer. They change the name of it every couple years when nothing comes of it. Sometimes it will give birth to something that's worth fielding, but it's a costly and inefficient way to procure something.

I remember a picture from the 50's of "The Future Soldier". He was coming out of the back of the then new M59 APC, holding a then new M14, with a helmet with commo built in it, new flexible body armor, and a special hood that was NBC protective and NVG's. Every couple of years you see a similar picture for whatever the program is then called.

The program is budget dust compared to what they spend on bigger programs. The problem is they often use the same methodology on bigger programs that need to actually yield a product.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The average soldier outside the wire is carrying at least 50 lbs of armor, ammo, etc... I felt sometimes as if a strong breeze could roll me on my back and I wouldn't be able to get up! :) Whenever I see new equipment I'm always a bit skeptical as I've seen so many pieces of junk added to an already overburdened soldier.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ that was my first thought when I read the article, how bulky would it be and would it restrict manuverability...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I predict more and more focus on drones, both air and ground, including semi-autonomous.

The real expence of war is not in fighting the war, there's always plenty of money for that, at least in the beginning. The big expense, the one that always comes in the middle of the "budget cutting" phase after the war, is delivering on the care that was promised the warriors if they went and fought the war.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Sort of reminds me of the Star Wars Imperial Storm Troopers. Curious about how a liquid can transform into a solid in milliseconds. Also wondering how all that liquid effects motion. Ever notice how liquid tends to have momentum and wants to keep on moving with a sudden stop of whatever it's contained in? Interesting. Can't help but wonder if it's one of those bogus projects that various agencies use to syphon off funds for various clandestine ops. It is what it is and they have most definitely spent tax dollars on considerably more useless shit. Should be interesting to see how this develops. Hell, it might even work.

·
Registered
22,611 Posts
Sort of reminds me of the Star Wars Imperial Storm Troopers. Curious about how a liquid can transform into a solid in milliseconds. Also wondering how all that liquid effects motion. Ever notice how liquid tends to have momentum and wants to keep on moving with a sudden stop of whatever it's contained in? Interesting. Can't help but wonder if it's one of those bogus projects that various agencies use to syphon off funds for various clandestine ops. It is what it is and they have most definitely spent tax dollars on considerably more useless shit. Should be interesting to see how this develops. Hell, it might even work.
Let's hope not.. those guys couldn't hit shit!

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Sort of reminds me of the Star Wars Imperial Storm Troopers. Curious about how a liquid can transform into a solid in milliseconds.
I can't speak to the rest of your questions, but we can already create "Non-Newtonian Fluids" that transform from liquids to solids very quickly:

-otus

Reactions: 10Gauge

·
Registered
710 Posts
My little brother had some science night at school, and I took him. They were mixing corn startch and water to make something the kids called 'oobleck.' It's liquid, but solidifies when you quickly apply force. A non newtonian fluid. My first thought was "I'm taking this home and shooting it." lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts