AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an m72 kit with original barrel and I've been giving serious consideration to having the barrel nitrided (just a piece of mind kinda thing as I have always preferred a chrome lined barrel).

Does the barrel have to be removed from the trunnion or can a nitriting outfit do it without having to remove the trunnion?

Also, what company(ies) has anyone used / heard about that is GTG for nitriting AK barrels and the usual cost for the procedure?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, after reading that I am ditching the idea, that was quick lol.

If it was a virgin Yugo barrel going into the kit I'd do it but since this is an orig populated barrel its not happening.

Thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
I've been considering buying one of the polish akm kits with a nitrided barrel. Figured I'd treat it like shit and see if it survives. I'm wonder what makes it preferable to chrome. Like magnet I'm partial to chrome as well. (If it ain't broke don't fix it.) still I'm not fond of many us chrome barrels.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming those kits are the ones ak-builder is selling? I'm also assuming the barrels are nitrited prior to any populating which would seem good to go, according to ar15 discussion about the process.

The guys in this thread I found seem very happy with the results, I'm just not going to dabble in it unless I'm using a virgin non chrome lined barrel.

Barrel Nitriding: 11,000 round update

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Its something I've been curious about before.
I'd still like to do it someday, but after some extensive reading, I would only do it if ALL the parts were separate from each other and assembled after the process.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I've got an early nitrided AR15 from DSA. Love it! This is a process that is best used in a planned manner before the rifle is assembled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts