AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Junker AK74 airgun. I stare at it, longing to convert it into the gun it was always destined to be...

Questions: How hard is it to reuse the gas block and front sight post? It seems as if I drilled the 'press/pinch' dimples out, I could press them out in a normal manner. Thoughts?

Obviously bolt guide rails would have to be welded in...

What other parts would I need? I have a 100 series folding stock for it, as well, but i don't know if I'd got that route...

Here it is:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Its worth far more as a BB gun then as a hacked up home build.. The BB gun, you can probably auction off and get a good chunk for it; A home build, most people will not want to touch with a 10ft pole, especially if you had to make the receiver yourself. Not only do people not really understand the laws, but the doubt of quality.

I bet you could probably even do a even trade for a SLR105 or other quality AK.

Also, the ATF put out some policy letter or FFL letter talking about these; Basically cautioned any gunsmiths from converting them, etc. The whole reason the guns were banned from importation was because people were converting them.

Barrel parts, can be reused as you said.. Just have to make sure they used a real gas block.. Some of them use/used a dummy one with no gas port drilled.

Finally, the receivers are not heat treated. I know the modern ones they sell in Europe are made of a cheaper grade steal.

In the end, its cheaper and easier to just start with an 80%.

ETA: You may look at converting it to some type that would require a tax stamp, etc..An AKSU or AK105 conversion would be an easy deal.. As a BB gun, you dont have to worry about any SBR crap.

Plus,I think that a BB gun would almost be more desirable... How else can you get an AK that you can shoot in the backyard, even in city limits? Hell, I shoot mine in my apartment.

Would make a good training tool for children or non shooters...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were to do it, I would want to do it correctly.. I didn't realize they were not heat treated. Is the front trunnion the real deal, or is it an airgun part, too?

I will check the gas block..

Do you know the approximate value of the Junker guns now? I haven't seen one for sale in a while..

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
eodinert said:
If I were to do it, I would want to do it correctly.. I didn't realize they were not heat treated. Is the front trunnion the real deal, or is it an airgun part, too?

I will check the gas block..

Do you know the approximate value of the Junker guns now? I haven't seen one for sale in a while..
Trunnions are not the real deal.. You would have to switch it out.

No idea of the value.. I believe that they were about $300 when they sold in the USA (and were rare grey market imports then)... Even if one was to do a grey market import from Europe, it would still cost about $400-500.. Russia is not much better; I think they cost about $200-250 there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts