AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Newbie to AKs and this forum so please bear with me and my AK ignorance.

Like many others here, I have "cut my teeth" by getting a WASR-10. I bought two because if one is a good thing then two have to be twice as good, right?

1. The serial numbers are VERY different on them....200XX and 314XX??? Both show being made in March of 2015, same day???

2. I happened to open the higher S/N first. I right away noticed the front sight appeared to be canted to the left. I was not able to acquire the front blade in the notch without canting the rifle. Who takes care of canted sight issues? Do I deal direct with Century? The second (lower S/N) seems to lined up properly. In either case, this is a crude check of front sight alignment. I have never had to twist a rifle before to see the front blade in the notch.

3. The first newer S/N had Tapco and an unidentified metal magazine, looks used, probably surplus. The older (lower) S/N had the same Tapco magazine and a new PMAG in wrapper.

4. Both triggers were stamped with a "C", I was expecting Tapco G2 trigger groups?

5. My surplus AK bayonet would not slip on either bayonet lug...both VERY tight. Short of using a hammer, I don't think I will be able to get the bayonet to slide on far enough to "lock" in. I read somewhere else the bayonet lugs need some filing to get them usable?

6. I thought the side engraving would say GP-WASR/10-63, both say just WASR-10

7. Neither had the "military" mark, i.e. the triangle thing with a 1 in it

8. I didn't pull both out, but the piston was unmarked, here again, thought they were Tapco?

9. On one the handguard and forend wood don't line up very well.

These are my initial evaluations of the two rifles which literally arrived less than 2 hours ago.

Thoughts, comments, comparisons to what you received?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
everything you describe is very much typical for WASRs. i had nearly identical experience with two WASRs i bought 2-3 years ago. I said before and always say again WASR is one of the worst mass produced AKs out there. ratio of lemons to more or less OK guns is incredible. you would think in 10 years they would be able to refine their QC and/or build techniques to stop putting out junk or at least catch it before it leaves a factory.

if you want a decent AK buy something other than WASR. yeah you might need to spend more than $500-600. but at least buy once cry once.
I hear new milled century c39 v2 are REAL nice and in $700-ish range. worth checking out. offload those WASRs ASAP and buy a gun that doesn't make you wanna puke every time you pick it up.

"c" for century. they use their own FCGs now. same will be marked muzzle device/slant brake.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Certainly not a gun to purchase without first hands on inspections. I love my WASRs, but I only purchase once I've inspected it several times, taken it apart, and basically annoyed the salesman to death. Picked one up today, its as straight as a razor, two pmags, and no more Tapco triggers. The newer ones have nice upgraded triggers, almost a two stage type. Sorry to hear about your experience, but I would never buy one sight unseen. I understand the C39 are nice, and I have a RAS, which I love thus far.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sounds like someone got to your rifles. If they have the RAK-1 FCG then they should have shipped with 2 Pmags... One is opened one still sealed. I second what was said about straight sights. Out of 7 AK's this is the first that has perfectly straight sights and zero'd out of the box.

The only problem so far is 4 failures to feed within the first 35 rounds. Then over 80 with no problems. Feels a lot different than it did on those first rnds. In fact 3 of the 4 misfeeds were the very first 3 shots...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Send them to me. I will dispose of them properly.
No need to thank me, it's a service that I provide. :)
#WASRriflesmatter!

Reactions: whodatsCJ7 and Arik

·
Registered
475 Posts
I recently ordered one of the new QC'd WASR's as I read they were solid builds (plus I was able to get it at a discounted price). I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was especially after hearing all of the horror stories, I actually thought it was a bargain once I gave it a close inspection inside and out. Ive since read on line that they are now 'laser aligning' them and have otherwise stepped up their game. Mine came with two sealed Pmags, arrived a few weeks ago with ugly blonde wood that will be refinished soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
everything you describe is very much typical for WASRs. i had nearly identical experience with two WASRs i bought 2-3 years ago. I said before and always say again WASR is one of the worst mass produced AKs out there. ratio of lemons to more or less OK guns is incredible. you would think in 10 years they would be able to refine their QC and/or build techniques to stop putting out junk or at least catch it before it leaves a factory.

if you want a decent AK buy something other than WASR. yeah you might need to spend more than $500-600. but at least buy once cry once.
I hear new milled century c39 v2 are REAL nice and in $700-ish range. worth checking out. offload those WASRs ASAP and buy a gun that doesn't make you wanna puke every time you pick it up.

"c" for century. they use their own FCGs now. same will be marked muzzle device/slant brake.
In another thread on here another newbie asked what gun to get and he was told over and over to get a WASR. In my case, I wanted a few things such as threaded muzzle, bayonet lug, side scope mount, and wanted the wood furniture, etc. to retain the AK look. I talked to two retailers, SOG and Atlantic and it seemed the WASR was the only thing they offered that fit that bill. So to get what I wanted and everyone saying WASR,WASR, WASR, I ordered a couple of them.

BTW, I was looking at the PAPs as they are supposedly made better, but as I said, I wanted something closest to a "real" AK with the features I listed above.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Certainly not a gun to purchase without first hands on inspections. I love my WASRs, but I only purchase once I've inspected it several times, taken it apart, and basically annoyed the salesman to death. Picked one up today, its as straight as a razor, two pmags, and no more Tapco triggers. The newer ones have nice upgraded triggers, almost a two stage type. Sorry to hear about your experience, but I would never buy one sight unseen. I understand the C39 are nice, and I have a RAS, which I love thus far.
Well, I preferred to buy the cheapest place I could on the net vs. shopping around to local stores where I am sure I would have paid more. I did find one of my distributors where I could get it cheaper after I had already ordered from an online retailer.

Having heard the WASR quality improved so much, I was willing to order sight unseen.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts

10 years? It's made in Cugir since the early 60s.

Aside from the mag well annoyance and the finish I have yet to see an actual bad WASR that wouldn't work, broke, or fell apart.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Let's hear who you got them from already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like someone got to your rifles. If they have the RAK-1 FCG then they should have shipped with 2 Pmags... One is opened one still sealed. I second what was said about straight sights. Out of 7 AK's this is the first that has perfectly straight sights and zero'd out of the box.

The only problem so far is 4 failures to feed within the first 35 rounds. Then over 80 with no problems. Feels a lot different than it did on those first rnds. In fact 3 of the 4 misfeeds were the very first 3 shots...
I don't know where to find the RAK-1 FCG code you are referring to. They both have the white tag on the trigger guard that matches the label on the outside of the Century box which matches the label on the brown box they are packed in and the receiver covers and bolts and receiver S/Ns match.

Both have a date of 5/1/13 on the lower right portion of the vinyl tag, both have a 2014 S/N, and both have a 3/24/15 date in the upper right corner of the vinyl tag. So it seems they obtained them in 2013, made them in 2014, and shipped them in 2015.

Since the place I bought them from is a large distributor, I doubt they were ever available retail, i.e. anyone went through them.

Seems that if one is that much better than the other, at least with a straight front site, that I keep that one and return the other one.

I do know an AK guru who is an MP on the local AFB I could probably ask about them. He is a PTR-32 freak. In fact, another customer of mine was going to buy a PTR-32 and changed his mind and I just got a M+M M10X Elite in for him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't know where to find the RAK-1 FCG code you are referring to. They both have the white tag on the trigger guard that matches the label on the outside of the Century box which matches the label on the brown box they are packed in and the receiver covers and bolts and receiver S/Ns match.

Both have a date of 5/1/13 on the lower right portion of the vinyl tag, both have a 2014 S/N, and both have a 3/24/15 date in the upper right corner of the vinyl tag. So it seems they obtained them in 2013, made them in 2014, and shipped them in 2015.

Since the place I bought them from is a large distributor, I doubt they were ever available retail, i.e. anyone went through them.

Seems that if one is that much better than the other, at least with a straight front site, that I keep that one and return the other one.

I do know an AK guru who is an MP on the local AFB I could probably ask about them. He is a PTR-32 freak. In fact, another customer of mine was going to buy a PTR-32 and changed his mind and I just got a M+M M10X Elite in for him.
The serial number will tell the manufacture date and the 'C' on the trigger tells it's a RAK-1 trigger. G2's say Tapco on the trigger itself...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The serial number will tell the manufacture date and the 'C' on the trigger tells it's a RAK-1 trigger. G2's say Tapco on the trigger itself...
Yes, I was told the -14 on the end meant 2014 and I had seen examples of the Tapco labeled triggers and knew it wasn't that one. I don't think my triggers say anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a WASR-10 off the rack at my LGS. They had 3 to choose from so I took someone who was knowledgeable in AK types with me and we both inspected them thoroughly before I bought the best of the three. Of the three, one had a noticeably canted front sight, another's reciever top cover looked like it had been stamped out by a drunk toddler with a hammer. The third was almost perfect with straight sights and better than WASR average fit and finish. Of course I bought the good one. It has a -14 serial number, came with a Tapco G-2 trigger (which surprised me by being the best trigger I've ever felt on an off the rack rifle, seriously, it feels like a 2 pound match trigger) and 2 mags, one Tapco and the other surplus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a WASR-10 off the rack at my LGS. They had 3 to choose from so I took someone who was knowledgeable in AK types with me and we both inspected them thoroughly before I bought the best of the three. Of the three, one had a noticeably canted front sight, another's reciever top cover looked like it had been stamped out by a drunk toddler with a hammer. The third was almost perfect with straight sights and better than WASR average fit and finish. Of course I bought the good one. It has a -14 serial number, came with a Tapco G-2 trigger (which surprised me by being the best trigger I've ever felt on an off the rack rifle, seriously, it feels like a 2 pound match trigger) and 2 mags, one Tapco and the other surplus.
So you also have a -14 serial, the same surplus and Tapco mag combo, but you got the Tapco trigger and I didnt...seems like the 2014 models were a bit topsy turvy in terms of what you might get. Did you have a white vinyl tag on the trigger guard and did it show 2015 dates?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My WASR 1063 from century was awesome. It is far better in fit than ny GP WASR 10 from Cugir.
How do you buy Cugir models? I though Century was the only importer and even if you had another importer, like Century, it would still have to get into the country through an importer who would have to modify it like Century does?

·
Registered
432 Posts
How do you buy Cugir models? I though Century was the only importer and even if you had another importer, like Century, it would still have to get into the country through an importer who would have to modify it like Century does?
You got me. I double checked. It is a cugir but imported by CAI.

·
Registered
269 Posts
shot my new WASR-10 today with 0 issues, yesterday I shot my Polish POL47 and big diff in quality. Pol was smooth and wasr shot ok and had 0 issues but a tad rough. But like I said in 200rds all went bang

1 - 20 of 39 Posts