AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been combing through pictures of military Tabuk DMR rifles, and did they use a cheek pad in the field? It seems like all of the photos from Iraq show the rifles without a cheek pad. If they did use a cheek pad, what style is most correct - the laminated wood base or the bakelite/plastic base?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Never saw a cheek piece, I handled quite a few including some that were unfired and still in the grease-but not in their packing crates unfortunately....

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! I will be omitting the cheekpad on my clone. It is funny Googling "Tabuk Sniper" and seeing that seemingly every US clone has a cheekpad, but all the Iraqi ones are without the pad.

·
Registered
162 Posts
All the USA Tabuk DMR's are shiny & clean too., not so much in Iraq., except the ones in the factory pics after bombing.

·
Vendor
926 Posts
One would expect new rifles to look new -- whether in Iraq or the US. As to rifles in Iraq having no cheek pad, again, one should consider it was more of supply rather than design. They were intended to have the cheek pad and their catalogues and industry designs had them. They were issued with them. As an attached piece, they were readily removed by choice or lost by chance.

By way of comparison, one may see many AKMs without the rear butt stock to look 'cool' in Iraq, but that does not mean that all AKMs imported into Iraq had the butt stocks removed. Steve

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
As I understand it, the cheek pad was delivered separately from shipments of rifles as they were in lots from Russia.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I broke down and ordered a laminated base cheekpad - it makes the gun so much more pleasant to shoot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts