AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been wanting to build one of these for a long time and recently started getting the essentials to get started.

This will be a gold bling bling gun, but will be painted because I'm too cheap to actually have it plated...

I will be using

$300 - M70ab1 Slabside UF with dust cover lock and "m64 style stock" - Sourced from APEX - https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/4198
$200 - Galil gas block that I will rep-rofile on the bottom - Sourced from the Marketplace
$170 - Laser engraved bakelite HGs - Sourced from the marketplace
$20 - Standard AK gas tube, I decided not to use the bulgarian one because the pictures I have found on the Tabuk Carbine have 2 vent holes and not 4 - sourced from my parts bin
$25 - BHO Yugo mag

What I need - open to suggestions!

Barrel - Most likely pick one up from Two Rivers Arms
Muzzle Device - Two Rivers?
Hooded Front Sight - Two Rivers?
Correct Length for gas piston - ?
Receiver - Childers?
RSB Engraved - Two rivers wont do it unless they build the gun

Here are some pictures of some of the parts I have already, as you can see Ive been playing with Gold paint and it turned out really nice

Im going to try to find the original sized coin for the handguards

Pictures dont do the gold paint justice

Look at the reflection of the recoil spring on the gold paint

Here is a mag that i cleaned and painted gold, turned out great!

Here is a gold plated watch and a receiver stub painted with the gold paint, color is perfect.

Ill update this as I get more parts and start building!

THanks,
Justin

Attachments

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
Nice project. Are you going to cut and shorten the lower handguard? Was it from Eugene Stoner? The Galil globe will need shortening in height for the AK RSB as well. But I guess you have read these things. I build a Tabuk DMR and infantry rifle but have not finished the Carbine I've been fooling with for a couple of years. Actually have it 75% done but set it aside for a long time.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bunch of tabuk carbine projects out there but only thing that makes this one special is it's mine :)

Yes I will be shortening the lower handguard to correct specs and hopefully I can get a hooded front sight from two rivers.

have done a lot of research on these things and hope to be as accurate as possible based on the information I have.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
What paint are you using(assuming a personal gun, not for sale)?

I keep watching the powder coating industry for a better gold powder, preferably a one step rather than the base & top coat recommended now. I've gotten some spectacular results on pistols with other colors, but gold & chrome powder aren't quite there yet.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Your paint looks very realistic. Plating is not hard, you can buy a kit and do it yourself. I would plate it, as it is a rare gun.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the gun will not be for sale, and as far as plating goes how much would you estimate it costing? I wasn't aware that you could do it yourself...

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Awesome Justin! Your collection is getting out of freakin control man haha

I still think gold AK's are just blasphemous, but no carbine collection is complete without one of these

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I had to cut myself off recently, it was getting out of control... There are several projects I've completed in the past 2 months that I haven't had an opportunity to test fire let alone photograph... And I've been working diligently to get my products CNC'd and on the market.

I believe I'll stick with the paint, looks very realistic and can easily be touched up, I'm going to coat it with a gloss clear duracoat to protect it. I'll give you guys more details when I get the coating perfected. I've got too many other projects to spend big $ on actual gold plating, and if I want to I can always have it plated later.. I also won't feel as bad to shoot the thing...

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Apex just posted some yugo barrels, no gas port drilled and no handguard retainer cut. Might be good for these, it would still need reprofiled, but what barrel wouldn't.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally ordered the receiver and picked up a pulled Yugo barrel with a pretty decent bore :)

May work on it this summer

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
Finally ordered the receiver and picked up a pulled Yugo barrel with a pretty decent bore :)

May work on it this summer
You'll need to weld up the gas port hole in the barrel as the setback on the Tabuk Shortie is further to the rear with the gas tube they used on the Tabuk. I used a Yugo RPK tube to keep the original gas port hole setback. And I used a barrel extension.

Iraqi Tabuk short rfle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts