AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how are you guys keeping the plastic handguards from moving around on romanian AKs after replacing the wood? i noticed that the Romy HG retainer doesn't have ears/tabs at the top to keep the lower handguard from riding up like my Bulgy 74 does.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Gee, don't know what you mean. We put the US copy of the Bulgarian handgaurd on my kid's Romanian SAR 2. No major sloppiness and we didn't use any additional parts, just the factory metal. Does yours move a lot?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's on a WASR 10. i put on a set of original Bulgy handguards on, and they move up and down quite a bit at the retainer. held tight at the receiver. no play at all on the Bulgy 74. i'll try to take some pics and get hem up later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's a picture of what the difference is. top barrel is Romy. bottom is bulgy. notice the "ears" on the Bulgy HG retainer that keep the plastic hand guards locked in place. the lack of the "ears" on the romy let the plastic hand guard move up and down at the front. all 4 of my Romy barrels are without, i think that is because they only used wood HGs and didn't need the extra reinforcment.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I see the problem!

Your gas blocks are turned 90 degrees to the right! THATS why no handgaurd will fit! :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry I will go stand in the corner...

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I just looked at my Intrac and it moves too. I never noticed until now, the rod helps keep it in place though. Damn, now this is going to bug me ... :neutral:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Tantal addresses the issue on his site. The Russians changed the hg retainer on the 74 (as seen on the Bulgy) to hold the hg more snugly. The AKM's and Romy 74's do not have that feature. Don't know what to tell you to do. . .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Q-gunner2: you caught me completely off guard, and i just about wet myself laughing :lol:

Apache: i know what you mean, that is how i felt when i first noticed it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fury_58: thanks for the info! i like the wood, so i'll probably just stay with that on my Romy. if i end up really wanting synthetic i will install a Bulgy retainer. I was just wondering if anybody had found a cure that didn't require pressing off the FS/GB.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Pressing off stuff? There has got to be some way to shim this thing. Be creative, let yourself go, aluminum flashing or foil, brass sheet, exhaust gasket material. Something quick and dirty and tell us when you find it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts