AK Rifles banner

If you were to purchase a SVD Dragunov, which format would your prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you prefer:

1. SVD Dragunov with MLOK furniture for accessories
2. SVD Dragunov with traditional furniture
3. Something else

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
1) I don't understand what anyone would want to mount on a SVD and why in order to justify the MLOK.
2) Isn't the point of the SVD to be a classic rifle in a classic look?

Please don't tell me you need a tactical flashlight and IR/laser on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1) I don't understand what anyone would want to mount on a SVD and why in order to justify the MLOK.
2) Isn't the point of the SVD to be a classic rifle in a classic look?

Please don't tell me you need a tactical flashlight and IR/laser on it.
I think this is a response the the “Hungarian” SVD that is supposed to be coming sometime in the next decade not having pictures shown of it until the factory mocks up some accessories onto the MLOK stuff on it.

Seems like yet another company missing the mark

·
Registered
993 Posts
If I were investing in a Dragunov, I would want spare parts like barrels, bolts, extractors, springs, fcg parts of the highest quality. That is the market after all of this unfolds.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
If I wanted something to bubba, I'd get an AR. You don't wait decades to get a lessor quality "sniper rifle", based on it's sinister looks and reputation, and dress it up like something it's not

·
Registered
11 Posts
Personally me traditional due to the reason being if you want a tacticool rifle with the shindigs on it you can always get an ar10 to do similar for less. However if SVDs and TIGRs were plentiful like how I see in Europe and you could get SVDS fairly easy - then sure tacticool it with a sure shot armament free float rail, suppressor and what not. If anything what would you want cause if you tacticool it and it makes you happy then go for it man. It's your rifle not anyone else's.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Magazines? Gonna have more handguard sets than magazines. Lol mlok svd handguards are cheaper than the mags.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Wouldn't be against it. To be honest not a huge fan of the side mounts and especially Soviet optics in how they're zeroed. For practical purposes a top rail/Mlok/KeyMod allows more versatility and optic selection. Having said that, majority of those optics and mounts would need to be towards the back of the rifle which would mean on top of the dust cover. Having a handguard capable of mounting something would be of limited use.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll go against the grain and say I'd prefer a more modern setup, since I'd like to use it. Some kind of AK-12ish top cover would be a welcome addition for modern optics.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
The way things are shaping in our country I believe readily available ammo would take priority. Just my take.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I would rather see the modernized accessories than a traditional format...because there aren't any out there. While traditional is nice and even quaint, there is virtually nothing out there you can buy that is modernized. The traditional stuff far easier than finding an M-Lok or better formatted item. I would love to see a better scope mounting system available as the PSO-1 scope in this day and age is pretty much outdated and while historically a significant sniper optic in this day and age it is hopelessly outdated.

I know it goes against the grain here but I look at the SVD as an operational system and not a collectors piece like most if not almost all here. I know this puts me in a distinct minority here. But I like using a SVD for more than just a collectors piece, safe queen or wall hanger or gem in a collection. I want to use mine as a sniper rifle and see what I can really do with it against it's more modern competitiors.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Hmm, okay I'll bite,

If it is not and has never been a sniper rifle exactly what is it?

Last I checked "снайперская винтовка Драгунова" meant "Dragunov sniper rifle": I am pretty sure it does not stand for "Dragunov chicken plucker" or any other nonesuch.

Please elaborate?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Hmm, okay I'll bite,

If it is not and has never been a sniper rifle exactly what is it?

Last I checked "снайперская винтовка Драгунова" meant "Dragunov sniper rifle": I am pretty sure it does not stand for "Dragunov chicken plucker" or any other nonesuch.

Please elaborate?
Sure! 1960s Soviet understanding of a sniper rifle. The same Soviet Union who's doctrine wasn't to adjust the sights of a rifle to the shooter but to make the shooter remember where the firearm shot.

I believe that the Colonial Army used sniper rifles too. Doesn't mean muskets are sniper rifles

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Sorry, not quite...

The rifle was purpose built as a sniper rifle from it's it's initial design to its use these days: The rifle, it's scope and the specialized ammunition designed for it were just coincidental I guess? Also what you are telling me the scope on the rifle was not adjustable or adjusted at all and it's user just had to make due? That is interesting as I have a rather large collection of PSO-1 optics from the 1960's to the 1990's and all of them are adjustable for zero. Also the former Soviet and Warsaw pact snipers I have talked to zeroed their SVD's by themselves.

Perhaps applying the cookie cutter mentality to Soviet infantry works with snipers I guess also? The musket analogy does not fit the to the conversation unless you are comparing a Whitworth target rifle to an 1861 Springfield (and it still is not a good comparison because the Whitworth was a target rifle re-purposed and not purpose built) so please try again.

Are you saying the Soviet understanding of a sniper rifle is incorrect? Incorrect to whom? Is or is it not the weapon designed and still in use as a sniper rifle today or am I incorrect?

While the design may be a little dated by modern concepts it is still a sniper rifle, sorry you'll have to try harder.

Reactions: BigSal

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It's simply a step down from a sniper rifle. A DMR.
It's not an accurate rifle and the ammo is even worse.

That's all the accuracy the Russians could come up with. Just remember to aim at the buckle and it should be good enough.
They can call it whatever the hell they want to as they designed it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts