AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked before but the threads I have searched it seems all the info is passed on through pms and everyone I have tried to contact seem to be tight lipped. I'm currently looking for the outer barrel dimensions of the standard 24.4" SVD barrel length to profile a stainless steel blank with a 1-10" twist. My goal is to get my tigr to look like an early 90s SVD model but still giving it better accuracy with handloads with a match barrel. I just want to keep it for personal use not for sale but I'll happily share the info with anyone if I were to find it. It would be nice to be able to send the dimensions off to my barrel maker to have spares since I'll be using this rifle for a variety of things.

20190602_223759.jpg
20190602_173942.jpg

Here's the bad boy in question. Forgive the 3-9x24 for authenticity sakes, but it is quite nice though. It helps tremendously when shooting out to 800 yards. I do plan on reloading 174gr sierra match kings for it since reading the 174s seem to be recommended for best performance. So going with a 1-10 twist seemed only natural.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Yanno, FEG should be bringing in rifles and eventually kits in the future.

If me be you I would keeper this one stock and get a kit for a custom build.

There is also a website, out of eastern Europe, where they do all kinds of SVDs with the latest modern upgrades. I bet they have barrels.

This is not the one I am thinking of but they may have info you seek.

http://www.dragunov.net/tiger_custom.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the whole project is to put a proper length SVD barrel on the tigr. I liked the little bit more accuracy out of a stainless steel match barrel and it'll be painted over with voron paint I acquired. I want to milk as much accuracy as I can while keeping the classic look to the rifle. I've seen the Hungarian SVDs to be imported but I'm happy with this being russian. I'll never sell it and I dont care for the short tigr barrel. I must admit this is a lot more difficult than I imagined lol.

I've seen the sureshot armament group stuff for the svd and I'll admit it does look cool and practical but personally me it only looks proper on a SVDS and if those were easily available and decent price sure I'd give it a shot but at the same time I could go for a m110 clone or something similar in a dedicated long range cartridge for cheaper. I'm just going all put for this SVD wannabe cause I always wanted a svd but a very accurate one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have what you're describing. A TIGR with a US made SVD barrel installed, even have a suppressor on it. Honestly...It's cool but I don't know if it's worth it. It will cycle 174G & 185G ammo all day but will FTE bad if I use the 147G, 148G or 203G ammo. I tested the 147 & 148G ammo in my PSL & it ate it up so I know it's not the ammo. My own theory is that the US made barrel has a tighter tolerance than what the original TIGR barrel was & that's why it won't run the cheap stuff. I'm not an expert by any means though & if someone else here has a different idea on why it's doing that, please share. As far as barrel dimensions, I don't really know. Mine came from a guy that used to post here, I know it was expensive to do just one so he had 14 made to recoup his cost & mine was #10.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well luckily I plan on only running the good good 174 hand loads through it. What kind of accuracy are you getting out of it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really only shot it for distance at about 100 yards the very first time I shot it, then started having issues. Last 2 times I shot it, it was just to see what it would cycle. Scope needs to be zeroed & all but it's a nice shooter when it's working.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts