AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the below pic sent to me by an internet gun dealer that sells AK's and other surplus rifles. That we buy from - but I won't mention their name. It is supposed be a pic of a bullet test of an 8mm Mauser I asked for. (My apologies for posting a Mauser here. But I couldn't get any non-AK people to even understand the bullet test on other forums. But I know guys here will get what I am talking about.)

It doesn't look "seated" enough into the muzzle to even be correct does it? (Not to mention the other end of the cartridge is hidden off camera.) But it looks like someone is holding the cartridge down into the bore but not letting it seat all the way(?). I mean the bullet isn't even past the crown is it? It doesn't even appear deep enough to "stick" and hold into a new barrel. There is to much of the bullet left sticking out of the muzzle for this to be real. It just looks like they are trying to hold the bullet and not let it fall into the bore. But in the process they've left way to much sticking out.

You can almost see space between the bullet and the crown on the right side.

Opinions? Am I smokin' to much of the crack? :shock:

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
If you look close, I can make out the point where the bullet contacts the barrel... I think it's all right.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SA58 said:
If you look close, I can make out the point where the bullet contacts the barrel... I think it's all right.
But you know when you do this on an AK? And there is only like 1/8 to 3/16(?) of the bullet left sticking out between the crown and the brass? This looks like more than half the bullet is sticking out.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
moab said:
SA58 said:
But you know when you do this on an AK? And there is only like 1/8 to 3/16(?) of the bullet left sticking out between the crown and the brass? This looks like more than half the bullet is sticking out.
the ogive on 8mm is much larger, as in the bullets don't look very similar in profile.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest I've never seen an 8mm round. I just went and looked online comparing it to a 7.62x39. Man I had no idea it was such a huge round! It makes more sense to me that more of the bullet obviously would be left sticking out on an 8mm.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TRY - Thanks so much. That was really cool to take the time to take that pic and everything! Very nice of you.

This forum is amazing!

·
Super Moderator
25,843 Posts
Not sure of the make of that Mauser, but remember, some were counterbored.
I"ve got a few that gauge that well. Just make sure you get an inspection period, if he was trying to rip you off, just get your money back.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I would think that if the lands and grooves are sharp, you're gonna see a slight gap at the muzzle. Also bear in mind a bullet test does not necessarily reveal a good or bad barrel. If errosion swallows the entire bullet, then I'd walk. But some guns swallow quite a bit and are still accurate. The reverse is true too.

Lump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts