AK Rifles banner

Surface rust issues on the internals of Zastava ZPAP M70

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  crostiger 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I bought a new ZPAP M70 last year and I have fallen in love with the AK platform. My Zastava is still fairly original, and the only things that I have done with it so far are a red dot and pistol grip. I am now running the Vortex Venom red dot and a Magpul grip. I have plans for a Jmac RRD-4c, Magpul Zhukov stock, and a cheese grater top handguard.

I have been having some issues with the internals though. I have noticed that just behind the charging handle on the bolt carrier, there is a small amount of surface rust. I believe that the internals of the M70s are left in the white from the factory. Is there a better way to prevent surface rust on the internals other than just oil? I have thought about doing a coating on the internals to make sure that I don't have issues with rust. This is my SHTF gun so I need it to be reliable under any conditions.

Does anyone have any experience with rust within the internals? I am 100% open to any suggestions on how to prevent rust in the future as well.

Thank you all and I wish you all the best,
-FireKing

See less See more
#3 ·
Any rust covered by paint, etc. is probably going to be an issue at some point. You won't see the corrosion under the surface until it's bad. (Maybe in 50-75 years ;)).

Spray it with a rust preventative and brush with a brass brush. Then blow out and put the preventative back on so it gets in between mating parts.

#4 ·
I spray the inside of my AKs with oil and let it run out, wipe up the rest and its go to go for a while.

#9 ·
Hello all,

I bought a new ZPAP M70 last year and I have fallen in love with the AK platform. My Zastava is still fairly original, and the only things that I have done with it so far are a red dot and pistol grip. I am now running the Vortex Venom red dot and a Magpul grip. I have plans for a Jmac RRD-4c, Magpul Zhukov stock, and a cheese grater top handguard.

I have been having some issues with the internals though. I have noticed that just behind the charging handle on the bolt carrier, there is a small amount of surface rust. I believe that the internals of the M70s are left in the white from the factory. Is there a better way to prevent surface rust on the internals other than just oil? I have thought about doing a coating on the internals to make sure that I don't have issues with rust. This is my SHTF gun so I need it to be reliable under any conditions.

Does anyone have any experience with rust within the internals? I am 100% open to any suggestions on how to prevent rust in the future as well.

-FireKing
Obviously there are coatings that can help prevent rust, but the best thing is to keep the gun oiled. There is no substitute for maintaining any equipment. Are you shooting corrosive ammo? Sounds like it. If so, hose the gun down with water, or dunk the whole gun in a container with 90% distilled water and 10% ballistol, let it sit for a little bit, and blow out or wipe off. If you live in a corrosive area, such as the beach, clean well, and oil. Are you getting the trend here? I recommend ballistol as a CLP, best i have used, especially when wet.

#10 ·
Hello all,

-FireKing
On second thought, you could send the gun out to be parkerized. Parkerizing is a "rust" or more specifically an oxidation, and rust will not form on rust. This process will allow oil to be soaked on surface of the part. However, you must still clean the gun after shooting corrosive ammo.

#11 ·
What ammo are you using?
Sounds like you need to switch.
Or start rinsing the thing out at the end of session. Then oil the $#!+ out of it.

#12 ·
Hello all,

-FireKing
have had small issues from time to time what I do because it is very small areas I use Bronze wool little harder to find then i wipe it off and use some boesheild t9 is a lubricant and rust and corrosion protection and drys as a film

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.