Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you so choose,

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Exothermia said:
I have no desire to start a flame war...

But didn't Georgia invade South Ossetia first and start this whole mess?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
i wasnt aware you could invade your own country

to me the whole start to this war reminds me alot of Germany's invasion of poland in 39.

Russian special forces inside the separatists could of easily of launched some sort of action that provoked the Georgians.

·
Registered
29 Posts
South Ossetia is ethnically Russian and wanted to join back up with the "motherland" from what I understand...but there is to much fishy stuff going on to support or listen to anything Georgia says...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exothermia said:
Just_Parker said:
Exothermia said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't want to get into an argument here, but as far as I knew, South Ossetia has had de facto independence from Georgia since 1992. Is there some evidence that is not correct?
No, your right.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Exothermia said:
Just_Parker said:
Exothermia said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't want to get into an argument here, but as far as I knew, South Ossetia has had de facto independence from Georgia since 1992. Is there some evidence that is not correct?
It was not recognized by the international community.

I'd strongly suggest taking this to another thread.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Just_Parker said:
to me the whole start to this war reminds me alot of Germany's invasion of poland in 39.

Russian special forces inside the separatists could of easily of launched some sort of action that provoked the Georgians.
It puts me in mind of the Russia/Finland winter war of 1939, actually. Russia wanted real estate in Finland (that used to be Russian, that used to be Finnish) and just decided the Finns had to give it up or else. The Finns told Stalin to shove it. The whole world was rooting for little Finland, and they put up a good fight. But in the end, nobody did anything to help them, and they capitulated.

On a side note, the amount of damage inflicted by Finland on Russia convinced Hitler of the superiority of the Nordic races and emboldened him to eventually launch operation Barbarossa.

·
Registered
457 Posts
ak74al said:
South Ossetia is ethnically Russian and wanted to join back up with the "motherland" from what I understand...but there is to much fishy stuff going on to support or listen to anything Georgia says...
Actually, South Ossetia is ethnically Ossetian, NOT Russian. The Ossetians are a Iranian people descended from the Western Scythians and Sarmatians, or Alans. The Ossetians are pro-Russian and want to reunite with North Ossetia. Ethnic Russians in South Ossetian probably make up less than 3%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Ossetia#Demographics

·
Registered
214 Posts
JOHNO said:
If you so choose,

I'm with ya too. Russia has long been a bane to freedom. I hope they pay an incredibly high price for each square inch of the land they have invaded.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
:wink:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Where do i sign up..?I grew up scared the crazy SOB's were gonna nuke us.

Ruck the Fussians.Whoooo Rah

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WarBaby said:
Sign me up - but I like my new avatar.
It's alot better than the last one! :lol:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.