AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yugo OK has nice light colored wood. However the color isn't uniform due to dirty/greasy spots. Kinda looks like it was handled one too many times by someone that didn't wash their hands after working on the car.

Suggestions on how to clean the wood, without stripping the finish?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
If that doesn't work try dish soap and a toothbrush to give it a good scrubbing where the trouble spots are.

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
56type said:
If that doesn't work try dish soap and a toothbrush to give it a good scrubbing where the trouble spots are.
If it does not work with Murphy's Soap, dish soap is not going to do the trick either.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Check out the cleaning and preserving section ( C&R Stock Cleaning ) at this site:

www.milsurpshooter.net

Pages of good info , much of it from pro antique restorers -- who are also shooters and collectors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im telling you folks. EASY-OFF super duty oven cleaner is da bomb. It takes off ALL the oil, dirt, stain, varnish, even buggers (if they are on there). Just spray it on and leave for 20 minutes wipe it off and do it again till no more oil comes out. Rinse it off with hot water and let air dry. Honestly, it dont get no better than that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
biodeacon said:
Im telling you folks. EASY-OFF super duty oven cleaner is da bomb. It takes off ALL the oil, dirt, stain, varnish, even buggers (if they are on there). Just spray it on and leave for 20 minutes wipe it off and do it again till no more oil comes out. Rinse it off with hot water and let air dry. Honestly, it dont get no better than that stuff.
While this was all the rage in the C&R world 10 years ago, it is way out of favor. Easy Off is very caustic and will break down the fibers of the wood and has been known to turn some green in hue.

Easy off is a very acidic and needs to be neutralize and hot water may not penetrate deep enough in the wood were the Easy off May have seeped.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
biodeacon said:

Might find out on a hot humid day at the range that ya didn't quite get all the oven cleaner out of the grain.

:wink:

t

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hootbro said:
biodeacon said:
While this was all the rage in the C&R world 10 years ago, it is way out of favor. Easy Off is very caustic and will break down the fibers of the wood and has been known to turn some green in hue.

Easy off is a very acidic and needs to be neutralize and hot water may not penetrate deep enough in the wood were the Easy off May have seeped.
Wow, I've never had a problem with mine and I've worked on stocks for nearly 20 years now. They must not be allowing things to dry thoroughly. Actually, the acid (NaCl) is neutralized by adding a teaspoon of vinegar to the warm water during the rinsing phase. I guess I take for granted that some dont realize that, sorry. It is the absolute best method available as well as being very easy. It will not break down wood fibers but may break down the laminate between the veneers if not neutralized properly. Sorry for not filling in all the details.

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
biodeacon said:
Wow, I've never had a problem with mine and I've worked on stocks for nearly 20 years now. They must not be allowing things to dry thoroughly. Actually, the acid (NaCl) is neutralized by adding a teaspoon of vinegar to the warm water during the rinsing phase. I guess I take for granted that some dont realize that, sorry. It is the absolute best method available as well as being very easy. It will not break down wood fibers but may break down the laminate between the veneers if not neutralized properly. Sorry for not filling in all the details.
I do not doubt your success but the damage was already done the second the Easy Off penetrated the wood fibers to lift the oil and crud out. The neutralizer just stop the action. So if you left the Easy Off on for 20-30 minutes before rinse, it was breaking down the wood fibers for 20-30 minutes.

I wish I had the link but someone had microscopic picture of the cellulose fibers of wood with and without Easy Off cleaner applied. While not readily evident to the naked eye, there definite breakdown of the wood fiber with the oven cleaner.

True collectors will discount your firearms if readily known you have done the oven clean trick on the stocks.

Oven cleaner is just a quick way but there is other non evasive ways to leach oil out of stock and preserve the wood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts