AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, folks.

This is my first post here, and I am considering buying my first AK. My goal is to familiarize myself with the weapon system and take an AK operator's course or two. (A short carbine that could fit in more discrete carry cases than my 16-inch M4 copy would be nice, too.)

The AK104 was the first to catch my eye. I am thinking an Arsenal SLR-107CR, but I am open to various builders of AK104 clones such as AK USA. I'm not concerned about an exacting copy of a Russian AK104--only a rifle that I can trust for self-defense. It will not not my primary defensive carbine, so I do not want to spend more than I have to. There's a possibility I will go the SBR route, but I will move at least once in the next three years or so, which seems like more trouble than its worth. That said, the thought of SBR'ing the rifle has me considering Krinks as well.

1. Those of you who bought 107CR's, do you still like them? From what I read, there were only a few complaints about not-so-great finishes.

2. Would you recommend another AK104 build other than Arsenal? Are they significantly more expensive?

3. Given my needs, would recommend a Krink instead? For that matter, should I buy a cheaper AK than those I've mentioned for my general training/familiarity purposes?

4. Any thoughts on whether the SBR would be worth it given I will be moving at least once (most likely out of state) in the next 3 years?

Thanks, everybody!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,938 Posts
i loved my 107cr but yeah the finish sucked

krinks are cool but id go for a 105 clone 5.45x39 is alot cheaper and if you have the cash just bad ass.



ps i love your chicken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
yeah dude the chicken rocks!

i have a AK-105 clone at home that is a SBR,. i love the thing.

i was going to get one of the Arsenal 104 clones but i decided to get a Saiga and convert it into a Krink because i already have a M92 kit to build once i get my SBR stamp for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I've only heard Really good things from owners of Arsenal AKs.

That said, I'm extremely fond of the Krink.
I'm partial to compact weapons, even though in many cases that can be impractical.

If this will be your first, and Arsenal has something that'll suit your needs, it would probably be a more practical choice. I wouldn't hesitate, as the quality is there.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,277 Posts
General_Tso said:
4. Any thoughts on whether the SBR would be worth it given I will be moving at least once (most likely out of state) in the next 3 years?
If you know you are moving out of the state you're in to another NFA firendly state, then yes a SBR would be worth it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
I just picked up my "dream" AK - a 105 clone. It has the 5 inch flashider so I do not have to SBR it and even if I did it would only be about 1.5-2 inches shorter.

It shoots the sweet 5.45 that is cheap and powerful and the 105 just looks sexy. :hail:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everybody!

Just_Parker said:
i loved my 107cr but yeah the finish sucked

krinks are cool but id go for a 105 clone 5.45x39 is alot cheaper and if you have the cash just bad ass.

ps i love your chicken
I hadn't considered 5.45, because I thought the 7.62 would have better terminal ballistics out of a short barrel--particularly with soft-points.

cruzie27 said:
yeah dude the chicken rocks!

i have a AK-105 clone at home that is a SBR,. i love the thing.

i was going to get one of the Arsenal 104 clones but i decided to get a Saiga and convert it into a Krink because i already have a M92 kit to build once i get my SBR stamp for it.
It is a cool sized carbine, for sure. Is your Krink a side-folder or underfolder?

Gonzo_Beyondo said:
I've only heard Really good things from owners of Arsenal AKs.

That said, I'm extremely fond of the Krink.
I'm partial to compact weapons, even though in many cases that can be impractical.

If this will be your first, and Arsenal has something that'll suit your needs, it would probably be a more practical choice. I wouldn't hesitate, as the quality is there.
Hey man. How's it going? I have shot AKs, but I've never shot a Krink. Are they uncomfortable to shoot at all--particularly underfolders?

Caligula said:
General_Tso said:
4. Any thoughts on whether the SBR would be worth it given I will be moving at least once (most likely out of state) in the next 3 years?
If you know you are moving out of the state you're in to another NFA firendly state, then yes a SBR would be worth it
I just don't know at this point. Although I will have some options, I will be a slave to the job market in three or four years. For all I know, I may be stuck moving to a state where I can't bring my guns at all.

Horse said:
I just picked up my "dream" AK - a 105 clone. It has the 5 inch flashider so I do not have to SBR it and even if I did it would only be about 1.5-2 inches shorter.

It shoots the sweet 5.45 that is cheap and powerful and the 105 just looks sexy. :hail:
I've considered that, but I would really like something shorter and handier than my AR, ideally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
General_Tso said:
Thanks, everybody!


cruzie27 said:
yeah dude the chicken rocks!

i have a AK-105 clone at home that is a SBR,. i love the thing.

i was going to get one of the Arsenal 104 clones but i decided to get a Saiga and convert it into a Krink because i already have a M92 kit to build once i get my SBR stamp for it.
It is a cool sized carbine, for sure. Is your Krink a side-folder or underfolder?
the Saiga / Krink conversion is going to be a sidefolder,. but with the poly stock. the M92 is a underfolder,. so i will have both bases covered on 7.62 carbines when i am done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
General_Tso said:
Hey man. How's it going? I have shot AKs, but I've never shot a Krink. Are they uncomfortable to shoot at all--particularly underfolders?
Hey bro, I thought that was you... good to see ya here!
IM incoming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the thoughts, everybody. I may spring for a simple WASR to get my AK feet wet. Whatever I decided, I'll be back with pics. :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey folks, I was back here troubleshooting the AK and I realized I hadn't posted a pic as promised. I opted for a Krink.



May spring for a fullsize AK-103 or the like when I have some money burning a hole in my pocket next. An AK-104 still appeals to me, too, but I think I've had my fill of SBRs for the time being. The Krink was a bit of a PITA to get done.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top