AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a milled MAK-90 and am looking for a good quality stamped AKM rifle. I know the OPAP is a good deal, but I don't want another tank of a gun. I am trying to avoid coughing up $1200 for another Arsenal (I already have an SgL in 5.45). Are the Polish or Egyptian AKs on Atlantic Firearms website decent? Should I be looking for an old Chinese or Hungarian AK? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Cough up the money for an Arsenal, its worth it. 104FR is awesome.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Do you care about caliber or stock (fixed,under,sider, etc)?

Honestly, they are all "good". Depends on what your looking for. I love the look of Egyptians though

·
Banned
950 Posts
The Egyptian guns are parts kits with US receivers and US barrels. If you want to get a real AKM for not a lot of dough and as you say, not one built like the tank that the O Pap is, I'd suggest the N Pap. The N Pap is the slabside AKM receivered Yugo import, new factory production. Aim surplus is selling them for $529. They have the double stack bolt and new wood furniture. They also have a scope rail.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
You should get yourself a 83 izzy kit from rguns, a bulgy barrel and a nodak receiver and have cameron87 at evolution arms build it. That guy is a pimp! He seriously builds some beautiful stuff. That will be a keeper gun for life.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Heck, any good quality stamped AK will do nicely. I've actually heard good things about the much-maligned WASRs. The NPAPs are supposed to be pretty good too. My personal choice is the OPAP. Anybody who says the OPAP is "too heavy" needs to spend more time in the gym! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do the NPAPS have the really high cheek weld like the OPAP does? I don't plan on using optics on it. I already have one AK that takes non-standard furniture (the heavy milled Mak-90), so I am looking for a nice light stamped AK that does. It sounds like Saiga, WASR, and maybe a stamped MAK 90 are my best bets. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Do the NPAPS have the really high cheek weld like the OPAP does? I don't plan on using optics on it. I already have one AK that takes non-standard furniture (the heavy milled Mak-90), so I am looking for a nice light stamped AK that does. It sounds like Saiga, WASR, and maybe a stamped MAK 90 are my best bets. Thanks for the help.
You have to learn how to shoot it. There is a cut out for your cheek and then the high portion behind that like any other AK stock. Basically your nose to the dustcover or close to it and you're good. The only difference is that the stock has about a 1/2" rubber pad behind it so you need to pull the rifle in a little tighter to get a better cheek weld. They shoot just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts