AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an AK74 5.45x39 and the barrel is made by ESS. This is my first one and first semi-auto rifle. I have been doing some reading and hearing people saying the hammer forged is the only barrel to have. While others say the American made barrels are just made different and just as good as long as the company uses quality steel. I would like to hear from those with ESS barrels and what kind of results you are having. I will be shooting the Russian Army Surplus ammo.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I've had good luck with ESS barrels. While not as hard or in demand as a original barrel, for the price their fine. I've heard of some people having problems in the past with undersized journals but as stated, I haven't had any problems. The barrels are soft so take caution when you assemble. Groupings seemed just fine and was nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, not doing a build. I bought the gun straight off the shelf...well out of the safe LOL. The coating Waffen Werks puts on their guns looks durable. Hoping to get to the range soon so i can see what it can do.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Hammer forged is preferred because it's the spec for most AKs; it holds up well under typical military use. For most purposes you won't notice those advantages. If you've already got a typical US cut rifled barrel, shoot it and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I've used the 7.62x39 ESS barrels on several builds, they are about as accurate as any other barrel. The metal is softer and I found it easier to populate/drill than other higher end barrels. I'd assume the barrels would last longer than its owner as most rifles do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts