AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Cabella's a few days ago waiting for a shooting buddy and while going through the racks I saw a rather used Mosin Nagant. What was interesting about it was lack of import markings....As in none what so ever. It was a 1935 dated all numbers match....It had no finish on it and had a nice layer of patina on it as well as a bit of rust on the magazine. I took it to the back and asked if it was a pre import and after 10 minutes or so was told yes. Now the sad thing was the barrel.....This thing was rough! I mean obvious obvious pitting.....It looked like concrete on the metal. The guys in the back worked on cleaning it but couldn't get anything out. Now the price was awesome at 125.00 but condition was the issue.

Now is it quite possible it was a bring back? It had no importation markings on it like I said.......

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Sometimes they are still perfectly shootable with a sewer barrel. Also old imports had very faint import stamps on the barrel. My 1895 has such a faint stamp its easy to miss.

Regardless probably not a bring back. Import marks were not required until 68

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arik. I looked this thing over multiple times while I was at the shop.....It had no import markings at all.

·
Banned
950 Posts
I had one marked under the handguards. $125 though for one in that rough of condition might not even be worth it. Plenty of nice ones out there for that same price. I picked up a mint M38 for just a little under twice that.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Even if its its not marked it doesn't mean much. Like I said, pre 1968 there were no import marks. Lots of stuff was coming in. Lots of Spanish civil war Mosins. Occasionally some importers used small markings to identify their imports. Stuff like 3 small dots on the receiver....random, hardly noticeable stuff. More than likely it was a pre 68 import

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have a pdf version of a mid 50's Rifleman magazine with an ad in it for Nagants, so there were definitely lots of them coming in prior to the 68 GCA without stamps on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts