AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I braved real crappy roads to drive an hour in a snow storm to pick up 1,000rds of 7.62x39 and 750rds of 5.45x39 silver bear non-chor for $400 :cool: pretty good prices for where I live. I sold the 7.62 to my buddy so I ended up getting the 750rds of SB for $180 after its all said and done. However since I didnt know this guy and the ammo was still in the boxs they were shipped in I had to open them to make sure its what he said.

My question is what is the best way to store this? I have a few hundred rounds loose i'll shoot off by the summer I want to keep this for SHTF. I left the ammo in the individual boxes and neatly stacked it all in a .50 cal ammo can. think that will keep for a while?
thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I braved real crappy roads to drive an hour in a snow storm to pick up 1,000rds of 7.62x39 and 750rds of 5.45x39 silver bear non-chor for $400 :cool: pretty good prices for where I live. I sold the 7.62 to my buddy so I ended up getting the 750rds of SB for $180 after its all said and done. However since I didnt know this guy and the ammo was still in the boxs they were shipped in I had to open them to make sure its what he said.

My question is what is the best way to store this? I have a few hundred rounds loose i'll shoot off by the summer I want to keep this for SHTF. I left the ammo in the individual boxes and neatly stacked it all in a .50 cal ammo can. think that will keep for a while?
thanks!
Leave it in the .50cal cans and throw a desiccant pack in each. Store in a cool, dry area.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Mine go in a .50 cal can (though they are getting harder and more $$ to find)

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
If you have a good desiccant in a good can (rubber seal is still in good shape) you should be set.
The only things that could screw you up on that would be if the can is stored somewhere where there are wild fluctuations in temp or humidity.
Once you've got it sealed, LEAVE IT ALONE! Don't go opening it up to fondle it over and over, or you've just undone all your hard work.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I store all my ammo in ammo cans and in those wooden crates that surplus ammo comes in. It is in my house so, being in a climate controlled environment, I don't worry about moisture.

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
I use USGI ammo cans, and store them in a temperature controlled environment.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Living in humid / warm SW FL I faced the same question about storing 500 rd. boxes of ammo.

Go to Wally World in the storage area and find the large size "cubes" by Ziploc, 2 for $10. These bags are heavy duty, have a huge zip lock and a push air vent valve. One bag will easily hold 2 boxes of 500 rds. each, throw in the Silica Gel packets, zip shut and push out the air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts