AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With great regret I must announce that my wife's Tahoe was broken in last night.
One of the items stolen was a BRAND NEW unfired Ruger LCP pistol with 2 extra magazines.

Serial # of the pistol is 370-28554
I purchased it on 7/17 and it was factory test fired on 7/11
They didn't get anything but the pistol with a total of 3 magazine (all loaded)

I am hoping that someone will notice it as they are hard to come by and back home there is a 2 month waiting list to purchase one.

I was staying at the Residence Inn near SeaWorld and had to park the vehicle in the back parking lot as it was full when we got back from SW.

The pistol wasn't the only thing stolen and as of right now I would say that it is a $1600 lesson that I learned (including damage to the car during breakin).
Suck part is that my auto insurance only covers $250 personal property and with a $500 deductable I doubt that it is even worthwhile to make a claim as I estimate the damage to the car at around $350

The breakin happened between 11pm 7/30 and 8am 7/31
My mother-in-law moved the car closer at 8am and didn't even see the damage (WTF???)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'll BOLO this weekend at the local show and next weekend down in Tampa. They are still hard to come by down here now too, should attract attention at a show. Sorry your visit to our fine state was a bad one.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...
I have reported it stolen to the SO down there.
I am gonna call on monday and give them the serial #'s of the other items that are stolen.
The Garmin GPS had a password in it and I am gonna call them on monday also to give them the serial # so they can kill it should they try to reset it.
I had the original boxes for everything that was stolen except for one item.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
DrugRunR said:
The Garmin GPS had a password in it and I am gonna call them on monday also to give them the serial # so they can kill it should they try to reset it.
I better write down my s/n on my Garmin.
Sorry to read about your getting ripped off.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
There has got to be a way to track where the GPS is being used. Tell them the SN and ask them to see if they can find where it was last used... could be a lead. Also, call all pawn shops in the local area and see if it shows up and, I don't know what its worth but, I would call the ATF too. Do they get wind of all serial numbers on firearms transferred by FFLs? If so, the gun may get sold and show up and you can get it back and they can track the guy who turned it in.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Damn DRR, sorry to hear about that!! Hope they are able to find the shits that did it. Jeez, that just sucks - dunno what else to say....

·
Registered
152 Posts
I buddy of mine just got hired at the PD there in orange county. I will email him the info. Best of luck to you.

I absolutely hate the rare occasions I am forced to leave a firearm in a vehicle.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have all the serial #'s of everything that was stolen.
I sent a email to Garmin. They will not give out anyone info concerning that serial #, in fact if someone attempts to get a unlock code, they will tell them to send it in. Once they have it they return it to the registered owner or to the reporting police agency.
I did order a new ruger LCP.
It will arrive on Weds.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just thought I would updates
Estimated $950 in Vehicle damage
$1650 in personal property loss

Between homeowners and Car insurance ($1000 total in deductables) I will be $100 shy of replacing the GPS that was stolen, buying a new Ruger LCP, and fixing the car.
I am not replacing the other $600 worth of property that was stolen.

Note to self - increase Homeowner's insurance to cover firearms. Currently they only cover $1000.00.
WTF, I got single (none NFA) that cost more then that...

·
Banned
234 Posts
It's a damn shame that somebody stole that from you who knows what they'll do with it, but it was also irresponsible of you that you didn't lock it up.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Ermac said:
It's a damn shame that somebody stole that from you who knows what they'll do with it, but it was also irresponsible of you that you didn't lock it up.

He did. They shattered the window and rifled through his hidden things and probably broke the containers open to get them (that or just left with the containers).

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ermac said:
It was in a LOCKED vehicle inside the center console.
They used a slide hammer (see img) to remove the LOCK from the driver's door. They didn't smash a window, I wish they did as it would be 0 deductable and already fixed.

Yeah, I suppose that I could of carried the weapon inside the hotel and have them place it inside a safe deposit box but then would it really be safe??

The break in was because of the navigation (GPS) suction cup was still stuck to the window. The GPS was in the center console. They busted the window because of the GPS mount. They gambled that the GPS was in the vehicle and it was a gamble that paid off. Paid off to the tune of $1600

I will not even mention that you have been here a total of what? 3 days already and already making post like that?? :confused:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
normally it would of but I had been at Seaworld for 12 hours and I was just BEAT and forgot about it. Normally I wouldn't have to remember it because I normally carry it everywhere I go.

·
Banned
636 Posts
DrugRunR said:
I have all the serial #'s of everything that was stolen.
I sent a email to Garmin. They will not give out anyone info concerning that serial #, in fact if someone attempts to get a unlock code, they will tell them to send it in. Once they have it they return it to the registered owner or to the reporting police agency.
I did order a new ruger LCP.
It will arrive on Weds.
I do like the "Garmin Lock" feature for what it is, but I don't think it's very effective. Most likely, the POS that stole it will dump it when he figures out he can't use it. Or hock it for $25 or something for that next crack rock. I highly doubt it, but if he's diligent, he CAN use the GPS. Start at 0000 and work up to 9999 since it's only a four digit code. But he probably doesn't know it's four digits and probably not even try. I actually emailed Garmin a while back about this very thing and the person who responded said he'd NEVER heard of Garmin successfully getting a returned/stolen GPS back to its rightful owner.

What Garmin GPS did you have and how do/did you like it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts