AK Rifles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STOCKPILE YOUR AMMO NOW WHILE YOU CAN!!! - New EPA Regs Force Last Lead Smelter in USA to Close

Snippit:

According to TFB, the final source for lead in the United States will be forced to shut down thanks to the new EPA standards that the Obama administration is mandating. Apparently the facility would cost $100 million to bring up to code, and the company that runs it would rather strip the site and sell it than spend the money to refurbish it. From STL Today . . .

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said the company “made a business decision” to shut down the smelter instead of installing pollution control technologies needed to reduce sulfur dioxide and lead emissions as required by the Clean Air Act.

The Doe Run Co. announced last year that it had dropped plans to build a new lead processing facility in Herculaneum that would have used a new, cleaner lead production technology. The company cited the $100 million project as too financially risky.

As I said, this was the final lead production facility in the United States. Its location was one of the prime reasons that the Lake City arsenal and other ammunition manufacturers have established themselves nearby, to keep shipping costs down. But with the lead no longer flowing, the next most viable source will be China and require substantially more money to truck overseas for production.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the price of ammunition jumps as well. Heck, this might even kick off a second ammo shortage if things go badly.

New EPA Regs Force Last Lead Smelter in USA to Close | The Truth About Guns

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
In a parallel thought, where do automobile wheel balance weights come from? Who makes them? Why is the EPA making regulations that are putting more and more out of work? How bad were the plant emissions?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I can see this having a negative impact on domestic ammo production but don't think it will make much difference on the price of imported ammo. Maybe importers and foreign manufacturers' will raise their prices based on this info. simply because no domestic source will remain available .....???

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
There are metal wheel wheights now and have been for a while

how about car battaries and terminals?

·
Registered
22,683 Posts
oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

·
Registered
626 Posts
I can never understand how importing everything in massive container ships and the resultant ecological disaster that creates is some how better.? Not to mention the corresponding loss of jobs here in america. I have an idea I think its called Bopal India to them its better there than here?

·
Registered
22,683 Posts
I can never understand how importing everything in massive container ships and the resultant ecological disaster that creates is some how better.? Not to mention the corresponding loss of jobs here in america. I have an idea I think its called Bopal India to them its better there than here?
My default answer is "...It's the government.. it's not supposed to make sense."

·
Super Moderator
10,329 Posts
Jesus, just google Primary Lead Smelting and you will see there is still other companies out there doing this.

I have seen this same "sky is falling" story 3 times today and it is all referencing the same sources putting the same tin-foil hat spin on it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If true, all this will do is shift the supply head end overseas, and you can bet their 'environmental standards' will be no where near our current levels let alone the new EPA demands (good ole 'progressive' logic). We will also lose the jobs and internal cash flow, but I doubt prices or actual supply will change as overseas labor will balance out the import costs and then some, heck it may even lower costs as with most imported goods. The big burden will be on the final mfg to ensure quality standards, basically I don't see it changing a thing.

·
Registered
22,683 Posts
my 'oh noes' post was pure sarcasm..

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
....but I doubt prices or actual supply will change as overseas labor will balance out the import costs and then some, heck it may even lower costs as with most imported goods.
Holy shit! That would be nice!
How funny would it be if ammo prices actually went down and we all had the government to thank for it?
I'd be picking out some mighty fancy Hallmark cards to send off. Might even spray a little aftershave on 'em.:beer:

·
Registered
255 Posts
View attachment 721
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

I needed that!:roflmao:

Isn't demand for lead at an all time high? That article made it sounds like ammo is the only thing on the planet lead is used for...

Still, Americans losing their jobs sucks!

·
Super Moderator
26,409 Posts
This info comes from a blog, not a real news source.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Doe Run workers to be cut at end of December

HERCULANEUM • About 145 employees of the Doe Run lead smelter have learned they will lose their jobs at the end of December because of the plant’s closure, the Doe Run Co. said Wednesday. An additional 73 contractor jobs also will be eliminated.

The job cuts were expected. The plant, which has operated for more than a century and is the lone remaining lead smelter in the United States, announced in 2010 that it will cease operations at the end of this year.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said the company “made a business decision” to shut down the smelter instead of installing pollution control technologies needed to reduce sulfur dioxide and lead emissions as required by the Clean Air Act.

The Doe Run Co. announced last year that it had dropped plans to build a new lead processing facility in Herculaneum that would have used a new, cleaner lead production technology. The company cited the

$100 million project as too financially risky.

Continued: Doe Run workers to be cut at end of December : Business

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.