AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
package #2 went out in the mail today. It's another SBR, this time for an M92. I'm hoping for another quick 6 week turn around. Revocable Living Trust is the only way to roll. I was sure to include the Schedule A, per the new BATF/NFA Branch protocol.

Quick question though:

Some say the correct way to handle this is to wait for the approval before getting the engraving. If so, that would mean illegally transfering the registered item to your engraver, correct? I plan to send off for the engraving as soon as my MO is cashed but before I receive the actual stamp. Is this kosher? Sounds ok but I'm always up for good intel.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I'd engrave it before the paper work was done. Worst case if it gets denied, which it shouldn't. You end up with the receiver engraved.

·
Registered
276 Posts
+1. Some people have also had their engravers botch/butcher the info.

If you send it to a known NFA engraver, like Orion, you should be fine. If you try and have it done manually or by a trophy shop engraver, it gives you a chance to stop the F-1, swap out the receiver, and start over....

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Orion??? Thanks, I'll do a quick search. Any links or more details?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mailed August 8th, cashed August 19th, still waiting... :sad:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Get it engraved first.

Once the Form 1 is approved, it is an NFA weapon, and it must be marked. If you wait until it's approved before engraving, you've got an unmarked NFA weapon. Good luck getting any engraver to touch it.

Another consideration is: What if UPS (or whoever) loses it? If it's a Title 1 weapon, you're out the cost of the receiver. If it's NFA, you're out the tax as well.

+1 for Orion. They did my AR-15 SBR engraving. Nice work and great customer service.

·
Registered
724 Posts
j_tudeski said:
Quick question though:

Some say the correct way to handle this is to wait for the approval before getting the engraving. If so, that would mean illegally transfering the registered item to your engraver, correct? I plan to send off for the engraving as soon as my MO is cashed but before I receive the actual stamp. Is this kosher? Sounds ok but I'm always up for good intel.

Thanks
Thought I was answering the question you asked.

I must have missed something. :confused:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You were. That question was from a while ago though, lots of folks chimed in already with PMs, etc. Feels like I've known the answer for a lifetime.

Thanks though. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts