AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought this rifle not quite a year ago , took me about 6 months before i actually got around to shooting it and i was not pleased would not cycle two rds back to back for nothing

so i put 40 rds through it on its first outing and it was not pretty , rifle is dead nuts accurate but would not feed , contacted Stag , they said check the buffer spring , make sure its wet , try different ammo , different mags, and just keep shooting it to break it in , load the mags and let them sit loaded

did all of that and Saturday i hit 300 rds total through it and no joy , some one suggested adjust/ fiddle with the mag release so i said ok , Sunday isit ,either i see progress or its going back , in what world should i have to blow through $500 worth of ammo for a "break in period" for any rifle , every AR 15 ive ever bought ran like a champ from the box

so i head back to my bench and decided to try a 10 round mag with some South African purple primer , i first draw the bolt back , and said they want wet , wet they shall have and just dumped CLP in there , it was creeping down the mag after i put it in , WHAT?!!! 10 out of 10, no really what?

slapped a 20 in and it cycled 3 before trying to load 2, then i adjusted the mag release , went back to the 10 rounder hiccups again , dumped more CLP , i mean im making a frigging mess of my bench , bam , finished off the 20 like no problem , put another 100 rds Sunday with mixed reliability , but marked improvement , im still debating sending it back and making them get it running right

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
You are not having luck with guns. You sent your Ruger Wrangler back for issues too.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are not having luck with guns. You sent your Ruger Wrangler back for issues too.
you are correct , they still have that Ruger

i have a Stag Varmiter with the stainless bull barrel , i put a Zeiss on that rifle , im ecstatic with that rifle , its as smooth as an AR can be , easy 600 rds through it with out a issue of any kind

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive tried all commercial ammo up until Sunday when i ran that South African through it , im going to put a hundred of Hertinberg through it this weekend and see what happens , might not like commercial , i figured the fine powder of commercial would seal up the gas system , but might be too tame to cycle the big boy

gas block is not leaking , no decolorization of the barrel around it

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I am with the other guy. Send it back.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
then i have to go through the hassle of xfer fees to get "MY" rifle back and the thought of that piss's me off , im going to give it one more chance , if it doesnt perform well with Hertinberg , arguably the best 7.62x51 surplus there is then its going back , im using Magpul mags thats what they suggested , and what came with the rifle (the before mentioned 10rdr)

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
then i have to go through the hassle of xfer fees to get "MY" rifle back and the thought of that piss's me off , im going to give it one more chance , if it doesnt perform well with Hertinberg , arguably the best 7.62x51 surplus there is then its going back , im using Magpul mags thats what they suggested , and what came with the rifle (the before mentioned 10rdr)
There are no transfer fees because there is not a transfer. You already own the gun. You can send it to the manufacturer and back without transfer (4473 and NICS check).

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a similar problem but with a Windham Weaponary AR-10 16" SRC rifle. At first the accuracy was horrible and I found the recoil excessive. The real problem I found when the range officer called for a target change was I could not unload the rifle. The charging handle could not be retracted to eject the chambered round. I had to fire the rifle to unload it. This happened 3x times then I went home in disgust. I called the CS mgr who kept telling me that the test fire the rifles for function before they were shipped. I told him 3x that the rifle functions fine, the problem is one can't eject a loaded round without firing it, which makes the rifle extremely unsafe. He finally sent me a return label. Now, I have to wait 6 weeks for them to fix it. UGH!!!!!!!

UPDATE: The CS Mgr contacted me today. He said their gunsmith checked every thing out dimension wise and it was ok. He polished the chamber and cleaned it up a bit. He also tested it for groups which range from .70" to 1.5" depending on the bullet weight. The excessive recoil is from the A2 stock (more NJ Legal BS). They are sending it back tomorrow....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Send it back and tell them to keep it until it works properly or tell them to keep it and refund your $'s....

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think i am contacting them , im sending them a email before i leave for work , that rifle wasnt cheap and tack on more than $300 in ammo for a "break in period" is ridiculous

i will have to check on the no xfer thing i dont know how i can have a non antique rifle shipped to me directly , never had that situation , the gun shop i purchased the rifle from i refuse to do business with any more , they quoted me a $35 xfer fee on a rifle , i had it shipped to them , and once they received the rifle the xfer fee jumped to $45 , i paid it just to get my rifle away from them , then called the next day asked the girl behind the desk how much they charged for a xfer fee she said $35 , so i was being charged a $10 i dont like Dave's face fee , guess i wasnt GI Joe enough or tin foil hat prepper enough for them to be part of the cool $35 xfer fee club

went back next day raised hell got my $10 back , told the owner one of two things was gong on , either its a condoned store policy to change prices after you take possession of some ones firearm making it store policy , or you have a rogue employee thats shaking down your customers as a side hustle , either way i will not be doing business there again

the Ruger pistol was bought a the new shop i do my xfers with and i dropped it off with him since it was only a matter of days from purchase that i realized it was trash

·
Registered
55 Posts
Again, you don't need to use an FFL to send and receive a rifle that you already own.
I just did this recently.

I used a hard case inside of a cardboard box.
It was the box that the hard case came in.
Put your name in a couple of places on the hard case (if you are using a hard case).
Tell them that you want it shipped back the same way, inside the cardboard box (if you want to keep your hard case from getting bruised up).
I used my local USPS. Seems like it was around $35 with insurance, etc.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they got back to me today and sent me a label to send the "upper" back to them , so since the lower is the firearm its a moot point ,sending it back tomorrow , guy was very apologetic , and answered my email first thing this morning

·
Registered
55 Posts
they got back to me today and sent me a label to send the "upper" back to them , so since the lower is the firearm its a moot point ,sending it back tomorrow , guy was very apologetic , and answered my email first thing this morning
I'd want to send the whole thing back.
Let's hope that the problem is with the upper and not the lower.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd want to send the whole thing back.
Let's hope that the problem is with the upper and not the lower.
if it takes a month or so it takes a month or so , its not my only rifle , but the thought of getting it fixed out weighs any inconvenience of not having it just sitting in the safe making me sick lol

Reactions: DirectDrive

·
Registered
55 Posts
if it takes a month or so it takes a month or so , its not my only rifle , but the thought of getting it fixed out weighs any inconvenience of not having it just sitting in the safe making me sick lol
Grab your Ticket Number and nag them on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grab your Ticket Number and nag them on a weekly basis.
not necessary , i have a acute radar when im getting the run around , been a contractor for almost 25 years , this is not that , im grateful they are honoring their no bullshit warranty , i have confidence until they otherwise give me a reason not to

·
Registered
55 Posts
not necessary , i have a acute radar when im getting the run around , been a contractor for almost 25 years , this is not that , im grateful they are honoring their no bullshit warranty , i have confidence until they otherwise give me a reason not to
I'm a construction superintendent, so nagging sub-contractors is what I do.
Along with cat-herding my carpenters.

LOL

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm a construction superintendent, so nagging sub-contractors is what I do.
Along with cat-herding my carpenters.

LOL
personally i do not respond well to nagging , i get a nagging super , and he will soon learn to appreciate what life is like without me , because he will go through a whole slew of cabinet installers hacking up his installs looking for a replacement that does what i do , i get the kitchens that installers are afraid to do because they are so involved they get intimated , there just are not that many of us to go around , and now with the wheat backs (was censored) starting in on kitchen installs there is a whole new level of butchery out there

for instance , the people i subbed for asked me to go and "fix" a install a mexican "crew" did , this one brand of cabinet offers pantries and oven cabinets in excess of 8 foot tall so help with the added height they send the toe kick out as a pedestal to be installed at installation

the mexicans said , huh , extra piece and chucked it , set the oven cabinet directly on the floor with no toe kick and set the wall cabinets off it making the entire kitchen 4 inches too low, the upper wall cabinets were 60 inches tall , lol , i walked in , seen WTF was going on and walked out and went home , called them up and said you hired those idiots ,you fix that dumb shit

who the hell starts a new installer out on a kitchen like that , you give them a bathroom , then a laundry room , maybe a master bath with 20 or 30 cabinets in it , but not a big involved kitchen , if i had a nickel for every time i interviewed a blowhard know it all only to hire and watch the fucktard butt joint a piece of baseboard subsequently throwing him off the job id be , well at least my pocket would be full of nickels

had one of those idiots once fired on the first day , being nice and was giving him a ride back to his car despite firing him , he was wanting to run his mouth in the back seat of the crew cab , i stopped at a red light in DC ,got out ,opened his door snatched his ass out and drove off with him sitting on his ass in the middle of a intersection in DC , not a word spoken , cars were honking and people were whistling and laughing

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I sent a gun back to a manufacturer for repair in the past. The company paid shipping to them and back to me. It was a Taurus I no longer own. They had an account with FedEx.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts