AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first AK and I'm quite proud of it :mrgreen:. Polished up the charging handle and did a half-assed job refinishing the wood. Not too shabby for a $350 rifle.

Before:

After:

What's there to do next? (besides shooting it :wink: )

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
The barrel is already threaded, I see a muzzle nut.

Beware of the brakes on sale now, Romanian rifles have a different thread than most other AK rifles.

What you do now is find a US made red colored pistol grip, finish re-finishing the wood so it all matches (or buy a US made wood pistol grip, and refinish it to match the rest of the gun).

Then, put a SWIFT safety lever on it- or cut your current safety lever. What this means is that when your rifle's bolt is held open by a Yugoslavian mag, you can pull the bolt back a little and flip the lever up to hold it in place while you change mags. Then, when the new mag is in, pull the safety down and it releases the bolt. This can speed up mag changes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not real happy with how the wood turned out. The black synthetic furniture on K-VAR certainly looks cool, but its hard to justify another $100 worth of kit on a cheap ass rifle.

Unfortunately I can't fool around with muzzle brakes/flash hiders in New York. The only way to get away with that around here is if I fix/pin the hider in place. I doubt I could even find a local gunsmith to do that kind of work. I'd do it myself but I'm not much of a gunsmith and I'm not sure I'd like the hassle of explaining the legality of the rifle to anyone who takes notice.

I was looking into the SWIFT safety lever the other day. Being able to keep the rifle on safe with the bolt open is definately a safety feature I want at the range.

As for the Yugo mags, are they pre-ban? Only pre-ban hicap mags are legal in the great state of New York :roll:

Pay no attention to the grammar and/or spelling of this post. I'm on some serious painkillers thanks to the surgery I had yesterday :sad:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
When did the NY ban go into effect?

I doubt they are pre-ban, but, you can make your own BHO mags. You can buy a special type of follower and then cut out the bumps on the inside of your AK mag, which will allow the follower to go up higher than it is supposed to which will result in your bolt catching on it.

Or, you could JB weld a spent casing to a metal folower and get a BHO mag that way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure when our laws went into effect, but I do know its not going away anytime soon. I'll do some research into modifying my existing mags, thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There shouldn't be any way to tell old pre ban from the current no ban. I'm so glad I didn't move back to NY after I retired from the Navy!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Most of the old pre-bans are all original, because they were before 922(r) went into effect in 1989. The pre ban guns like the MAK-90, despite being pre-1994, had no bayo lugs and had the brake pinned on.

All the new rifles that are no-ban have to comply with 922(r).

G

·
The WASR in the pic doesn't have a bayonet lug and the threaded muzzle has a permanently welded-on muzzle nut - are we looking at the same rifle? The one pictured is definitely ban-compliant.

BTW, nice WASR!

Brewer

·
Banned
85 Posts
A good tip for changing mags faster, is to use the new mag to hit the mag release. You have to follow through with the swipe, which will push the old one out, i can change mags in under three seconds, including racking the carrier, your mags will take a beating, but only finish wear, no damage otherwise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Get yourself a Krebs Custom fixed or adjsutable peep sight. It will make aiming faster and easier.

Down the line get yourself a Kobra Red dot.

A bunch of us have been painting our US made black pistol grips brown. Krylon sells a brown spray paint that works on plastic. Makes the guns look better. I just used a regular spray paint on mine.

Take a look here...

Bottom rifle is my Wasr10 (with unfinished stocks), top 2 are kits I built.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice rifles! The WASR I posted originally is long gone but has been replaced with a Yugo M70AB1. Before I sold it I refinished the wood again and stained it with Tung Oil. It was much nicer than that el-cheapo stain I used originally and really brought out the grain. I also cleaned up that work bench quite a bit :wink:

I'll look into the peep sight, original AKM irons don't really agree with my eyes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
FunkZ28 said:
Nice rifles! The WASR I posted originally is long gone but has been replaced with a Yugo M70AB1. Before I sold it I refinished the wood again and stained it with Tung Oil. It was much nicer than that el-cheapo stain I used originally and really brought out the grain. I also cleaned up that work bench quite a bit :wink:

I'll look into the peep sight, original AKM irons don't really agree with my eyes.
I didn't catch how old this was. I need to get me one of them Yugo underfolders. Nice to see underfolders again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts