AK Rifles banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
So FN is going to make High Powers again. I wonder if they will be made in the US or Belgium? Maybe in Browning’s Portugal plant again.
Looks more Hi-Power inspired. I see it has ambi slide release levers. I assume the magazine release is also ambi or reversible.

Note that it looks like the barrel no longer uses the individual locking lugs but rather the locking block that interfaces against the ejection port.

Surprised there's no flashlight rail.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
More info about the 2022 FN High Power including prices.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
$1269 msrp for the FN, them and Springfield will have different customers. Not really seeing the appeal, it's not classic with the updates, and the updates dont go far enough for it to compete with other modern options at 1/2 the price. If I need a metal framed handgun in that price range, I'm getting a CZ Shadow

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I was hoping the FN High Power would be less than that. Many good 1911s and other metal guns such as CZ 75 and Beretta 92 are well under $1200. According to Wikipedia (not the most reliable source) claims they will be made in Columbia, South Carolina. I think FN will have a hard time selling them with all the clones at half the price or less than half.

·
Registered
960 Posts

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I could see $1200 if it were a target or competition model such as a long slide with target sights. Or around that much retail with an attached brace being similar to the old High Powers with shoulder stocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been wanting to buy a Browning Hi Power for many years, but never did. Then a friend of mine said he might be willing to sell it to me, but when I told him what they're going for, used, on Gun Broker, first he started to set a higher price, and then decided he would keep it. So last week I continued my search, and nobody seemed to have any for sale other than Gun Broker, for $800 or so and up. I gave up on that search, and started calling distributors, and found one that received a single gun in from their order, last week Thursday. After a little self debating, I told them I would take it, and to make a long story short, I picked it up from my local FFL mid-day today.

Not much to say about it yet - it feels great in my hands. The beautiful wood grips look like what I would want anyway, and feel great. I disassembled it to see if it was lubed and ready to shoot. Les Baer warns people to NOT take apart their guns until after firing I think 2,000 rounds - I've lost track. They want the gun to break in as you shoot it. The SA-35 felt "new", fairly stiff, like it has never been used - which is of course exactly the case. Someone did lubricate it at the factory, and unless I find out otherwise, it's good to go. Sights are excellent - really like them. The grip feels "fat", but not annoyingly so. People say it's heavy, but it feels lighter in my hands than what I expected. I'm not sure if I'll shoot it one handed or two-handed.

As to pricing, it's like when the new Colt Pythons came out. The old Pythons were selling for outrageous amounts of money, and people wanted a LOT for the new guns too. I don't like the new Python as much as the original - the SA trigger pull is way too stiff. I don't know what the SA-35 ought to sell for - at only $700 it's a bargain, but it cost me more than that if I wanted it in my hands. Is it worth much more than the list price? How much is my time worth, and do I want to wait a year or more to get one at $700, which will most likely increase soon because it may be too little $$ for such a good gun.

I guess the next step is to take it to the range, get used to shooting it, and see what it can do at 15 or 25 yards. I've got Wilson re-manufactured 115 grain ammo, and MagTech 115 grain ammo.

This is an interesting forum - I signed up for the Springfield forum, but was surprised to find this discussion here.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
This is an interesting forum - I signed up for the Springfield forum, but was surprised to find this discussion here.
This site traditionally skews towards the historic/purist collector AK side. With that in mind, lots of mil history buffs here that definitely appreciate the Hi-Po and it’s significance, as if it’s classic lines weren’t enough. Also, FEG(the Hungarian AK manufacturer)made great High Power clones.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I guess the next step is to take it to the range, get used to shooting it, and see what it can do at 15 or 25 yards.
The Hi Power seems to be in inherently accurate pistol and I doubt you'll be disappointed, 1) if you can shoot and 2) if SA didn't screw anything up making the pistol "better". I used to compete with a Hi Power in bullseye competition and other than removal of the mag safety and a trigger job it was box stock with factory adjustable sights. There was one other pistol/shooter combination on the range that could give me a run for my money, an old retired Army shooter with a S&W 52 who kicked my ass on a regular basis. When I got the HP, and only then, did I ever beat that guy. I could hang with him through 35 feet but when we got to 25 yards he always edged me out with my 92F.
The HP fixed that.
Hindsite being 20/20, I never should have sold that gun seeing today's prices.

Reactions: 43m1garand

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
The Hi Power seems to be in inherently accurate pistol and I doubt you'll be disappointed, 1) if you can shoot and 2) if SA didn't screw anything up making the pistol "better". I used to compete with a Hi Power in bullseye competition and other than removal of the mag safety and a trigger job it was box stock with factory adjustable sights. There was one other pistol/shooter combination on the range that could give me a run for my money, an old retired Army shooter with a S&W 52 who kicked my ass on a regular basis. When I got the HP, and only then, did I ever beat that guy. I could hang with him through 35 feet but when we got to 25 yards he always edged me out with my 92F.
The HP fixed that.
Hindsite being 20/20, I never should have sold that gun seeing today's prices.
You gotta love S&W guns, especially the old ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Two reasons -first, because I'm still working on my grip to prevent the gun from moving in my hand.

With one round at a time, everything starts out perfect. If the gun does move a small amount in my hand, there is no "next" shot to be affected by it.

It is taking one "perfect" shot, every time.

With my other guns, once I am used to them, I don't need to do this, as my hand(s) have learned what to do, where to be, and how strong to press.
With this gun, everything is new to me. I was at the range for two hours, meaning six targets.

One round at a time shows me what I am capable of doing, and I need to do it five times in a row, no mistakes.

With my 1911, this is easier, and even for the 22 Nelson conversion on a 45 frame.
For the Springfield, I'm just starting to get used to it, or it to me. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is an earlier target, 10 rounds, and two mistakes (by me):
The eight rounds at the top are a better group than the target I posted.
I am pretty sure I relaxed my hands for the two shots at the bottom.
To do this well, all 10 rounds need perfect concentration, and to do the same things the same way every time.
Eye Font Art Circle Recreation

61 - 80 of 81 Posts