AK Rifles banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Loose fitted slide stop plate?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Or its possible the owner disassembled that part for inspection and to make sure the firing pin channel was not gummed up with preservative, then assembled it incorrectly. This happened to a friend of mine with a .40 cal CZ75.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Or its possible the owner disassembled that part for inspection and to make sure the firing pin channel was not gummed up with preservative, then assembled it incorrectly. This happened to a friend of mine with a .40 cal CZ75.
Quite possible.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
The owner was just racking the slide and the firing pin flew out and the retainer is loose.
So either the slide channel for the retainer is out of spec or the retainer is not in spec or is too thin.

I think Springfield has others as the lady at SA was prepared with the schtick on RMA and sending it back as if she is used to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I really want to hear more from that dealer with the problem.

If something like that happened to me—or anyone— wouldn’t you take a close look at the parts and their fitment to figure out what happened? Try to duplicate the issue before going to the hassle of shipping it back?

It’s weird that he just said “Oh well”, snapped a trophy picture for facebook, and called Springfield. Not calling the guy a liar, but the whole thing seems very strange.

·
Registered
924 Posts
So the tail end of the firing pin is what holds the plate in place. The spring provides the force to push (and keep) the tail in the hole in the stop plate.

During live-fire the firing pin is stopped in its travel by the primer and is only forward for a fraction of a second before the spring presses it back. In theory the plate is not free to move when actually shooting.

In dry-fire the firing pin is free to jump pretty much to the length of the spring and will clear the firing pin fully from the stop plate. The plate should still be held by the pressure of the resting hammer but that isn't always the case. Also (never seen with a Hi-Power but have with a 1911) the spring may be weak and/or the tolerance off between the firing pin and the channel itself. In these cases the firing pin may actually extend out and get stuck in the forward position. This allows the plate to drop free as soon as the slide is retracted.

In all these cases the fix is usually a new spring and a firing pin stop that fits a little better. And a new firing pin too can be added while the parts are out.

Don't know of course if that's what's happened here but these are likely culprits in my guesstimate.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
That is correct.

The firing pin spring and other setups should stop the retainer from coming out due to force but if you rack it really hard, a bounce can happen and the retainer can pop out.

I've seen it done with the Fég p9M from 2019 they did. It was a simple fix with a better spring they got from cylinder and slide.

99.99 percent of the time..this will never ever happen because every SA35 owner will likely baby it like it was their 1st child.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Is this an issue with any original BHP pistols?
No....I haven't seen it with any older ones.

Just sometimes two things are happening.

When Fég used the older blocks and then did the machining for the slide, that channel is a bitch to get right and also clean up for the retainer to sit nice and evenly.

Reading the production logs for P9M..a final buffing of machine marks helped.

But FEGs issue was just NOS parts.

If you have a hi power...try it yourself and rack it and see..

It doesn't happen very often but it can happen and that is why places like

Carry those parts and recommend spring changes a lot.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

·
Registered
23,035 Posts
o.ô why the sudden surge in BHP clones? I should say resurgence since there was a glut of them years ago, but my time frame reference is all messed up. There were the FEG ones, Kareen, Arcus, and I think something else. I mean.. the more the merrier and it'll drive prices down, but it's interesting to note the apparent rise in interest in already classically popular gun.

Reactions: 43m1garand

·
Registered
819 Posts
Opinion only, the new gun market shifted so hard to the idea that every gun had to be the lightest possible plastic fantastic, partly from the gun rag pimps always pushing this, that there had to be a correction to that. There's a lot to be said for the classic guns with more weight. Repressed demand.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Opinion only, the new gun market shifted so hard to the idea that every gun had to be the lightest possible plastic fantastic, partly from the gun rag pimps always pushing this, that there had to be a correction to that. There's a lot to be said for the classic guns with more weight. Repressed demand.
Maybe.

More likely it is a case of wanting what you can't have. FN discontinues the GP35 after 80 years and now people want one.

This is the case with two co-workers. Both always wanted a BHP but never got around to buying one and now don't want to pay $1000+ for a nice clean FN.

·
Super Moderator
26,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Maybe.

More likely it is a case of wanting what you can't have. FN discontinues the GP35 after 80 years and now people want one.

This is the case with two co-workers. Both always wanted a BHP but never got around to buying one and now don't want to pay $1000+ for a nice clean FN.

This, and the classics never die. All steel pistols will last a lifetime.

Reactions: Prototype Services

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
o.ô why the sudden surge in BHP clones? I should say resurgence since there was a glut of them years ago, but my time frame reference is all messed up. There were the FEG ones, Kareen, Arcus, and I think something else. I mean.. the more the merrier and it'll drive prices down, but it's interesting to note the apparent rise in interest in already classically popular gun.
FM Argentine, Regent BR9 made in Turkey, Ingils Canadian, Chinese contract Inglis made, Indian reversed engineered Inglis made in Ishapore, Indonesian copy - Pindad P1 and Pindad P2.

1911s made a comeback years ago. Then there are the many CZ-75 clones. I think it is just cycles in the firearms world.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
These Springfield Hi-Powers are like bigfoot. People say they exist yet no evidence of one.

The dealer I ordered mine from said it will be a while before I get one. He said there are 15 people ahead of me. They have not got the first one in yet.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Since my LGS said it will be awhile before I get a SA-35, I had them order me Smith's new M&P in 10 mm. I had them order one with the 4.6" barrel and no thumb safety. They are also available with a 4" barrel. Thumb safety is optional on both barrel lengths. All M&P 10 mm come optics ready.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts