AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering which brand of paint that everyone prefers to use when camouflaging your rifles. Also, is there a company that produces pre made pattern cut outs? I don't assume that anyone has a pre made pattern of the Army's ACU or the USMC's new digital stuff, huh?

Oh yeah, if there is already another thread about this, I apologize. I searched and couldn't find anything.

Thanks, guys! :smile:

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Your best bet is to look through the Refinishing Forum, I think there are a few threads in there.

That being said, for a quick and easy paint that isn't too hard to remove (i.e. you want green for spring/summer, brownes for fall, and white for winter) the Krylon camo line is pretty good and Bowflauge (if you can still find it) is also popular.

For more permanent colors, Krulon Fusion works good for plastics, and the Duracoat type paints is good for all types of materials.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Krylon Camo, get it at Walmart. I camo damn near every non AK rifle I own with it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phreakmode said:
Krylon Camo, get it at Walmart. I camo damn near every non AK rifle I own with it.
I saw a photo of one of your AR's and spotting scopes, decked out with what looked to be coyote, or tan. That's what I was looking for. A couple colors like that, and a handful of leaves or twigs to break up some of the rifles distinctive lines. I think when that paint is getting worn, it blends in much better.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, that's a great site. Sometimes, it seems like the Dura Coat process makes the gun almost too nice. Like, the lines are a little too perfect. Ya' know?

I'm really just looking to grab a hand full of twigs/leaves/branches and a particular shade of cammo, and just do the hand spray. I think I'm going for the crappy, home spray job, and then do a little scrubbing with a brillo pad in certain areas, to achieve the worn paint look. It seems that rifles like that blend in so much easier.

What do you think?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
machineguneddie said:
I've thought about doing the same thing with leaves and sticks
I've seen it done before, and it turned out outstanding. It's as though the shittier it looks, the more efficient the cammo is. With no rhyme or reason, no defined lines, it just blends in with nature a little better.

I've been getting a lot of recommendations for the Krylon stuff.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
2 reasons why I use Krylon.

1. It's not permanent and I retain the ability to easily and quickly change the camo colors and schemes. Right now S. Arizona is green for the dominant color, in 3 more months it will be back to brown as the dominant.

2. It's durable enough to remain functional but not too durable that it always looks new. Shiny/pretty camo paint job is a walking contradiction to me.

The downside to Krylon is that, on barrels that see rapid fire and heat up to above slow fire temps, it becomes discolored and can draw attention instead of reducing it.

3 cans of krylon @ $5 a peice + an hour of time for painting is pretty cheap.

some good photos in this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=19&t=199533&page=36

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Between Gunkote, Dura Coat, Krylon and Norrell's, which is most/less glossy?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool site, I've never seen it before. Thanks for adding it! Also, which company is producing the Magpul colors? I thought it was Dura Coat, but I can't find anything advertising the Magpul colors on Dura Coat's website.

I know this post belongs in the refinishing forum. I don't know why I posted this here, so please feel free to move if need be. :smile:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I agree the krylon camo paint is some good stuff! I've done some pretty good tiger striping using masking tape by tearing it into strips and striping off the rifle.

·
Registered
254 Posts
phreakmode said:
That's all I use, haven't done an AK, but the M4gery is painted...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts