AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will finally have the funds to buy a Chinese AK in the next month or so and I am stuck between buying a Spiker variant or Legend....
I have no Chicom rifles yet so it will be my first. I am also buying the pieces to eventually put together a milled 56 spiker clone regardless of this purchase. (after seeing Jetdriver and rayman1's Type56's I must have one by the time I die!)
I see a lot of knowledgeable folks on this board and I respect your opinions. What would your suggestions for my first Chicom AK be??

Poly-Tech Double Folder
GSAD Fixed spiker
Poly-Tech Fixed Legend
Poly-Tech Underfolder Legend

Thanks.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fellas, I figured the Legend would probably win out. Owning a Legend is one of my 'must have' rifles so I think I'll go with the mob and aim for a fixed Legend.
Thanks for reaffirming the right choice!
After that is accomplished.... then I'll start saving for the spiker :dance:
This forum is making my addiction worse and worse btw you bastards with all the goodies!

Side story that's killing me right now...
I was searching around online for Chicom rifles through google, and while searching for GSAD I came across an add on a different forum. The add didn't have any responses so I took a chance and emailed the guy offering a possible trade for my SLR107F ect. He emailed me back asking for my # and then we spoke today. I almost wish we didn't lol. Turns out he had sold the rifle, but he called and said it was a bummer I didn't msg him a week or so earlier. Apparently he was looking for an SLR107 and would have totally did a trade with me. BUT he had sold it and bought one with the money. I couldn't believe it, that would have been a total trade up for me and I missed it. The guy was real nice and said if I ever needed help finding a similar rifle to let him know and he'd help. He knows what he had and only sold it because he has another NIB that's not for sale. Oh well, I will be satisfied soon enough when I save the rest of the loot needed to find a nice Legend. Til then, its the GSAD spiker that got away :doh:

ps. if anyone here has something they want to trade me I have an excellent condition SLR107F with all the accessories plus more, a NIB Vltor VIS3, NIW Noveske 5.56 SS 16.1 bbl, and a surefire x400 I've been trying to use as trade currency towards a Chicom AK.

· Banned
4,281 Posts
Howzit said:
if anyone here has something they want to trade me I have an excellent condition SLR107F with all the accessories plus more, a NIB Vltor VIS3, NIW Noveske 5.56 SS 16.1 bbl, and a surefire x400 I've been trying to use as trade currency towards a Chicom AK.

well there is nothing to spend, except a little time, to go to a lot of gun forums and put want to trade ads for what you are looking for. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Poly-Tech Double Folder A great price for one of these would be about $1500, probably going to find most for sale close to $2000 for one that has been shot a few times with box and accessories. You might get lucky and find one for cheaper but it will be hard.

GSAD Fixed spiker A New Old Stock with box and everything would be worth about $1400-$1500 IMO. Used in excellent condition you should expect to pay $1100 to $1300 roughly

Poly-Tech Fixed Legend I say this would be worth about $1500-$1800 with all accessories in the box depending the deal you can find. This is the one I would go for. The spiker is stamped and the spike is not as nice as the milled receiver for close to the same price. Anything over $2000 for one of these is a rip off IMO. If you are going to make a spiker clone, go for the original Legend!!

Poly-Tech Underfolder Legend You will spend over $2000 for one of these unless you find a deal and are very lucky.

GO FOR THE LEGEND

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info, I figured I'd need at least 2k to get a nice Legend.
Wish I had it in hand, a certain board member offered to sell menhis NIB and it's a beauty for sure!
I plan on shooting it so it doesn't need to be NIB.

My plan for the future milled spiker build, will hopefully be built on a Legend underfolder. I wouldn't do it to a nice legend underfolder, but there is a guy on island that has one he "bubba'd". He put a 74 break on it, hard chromed the whole thing, painted the pistol grip black. The hand guards are black as well, the top with holes in it and the lower with a pistol grip miles onto it. If I get a deal on it I would gladly turn it into a type56 spiker. I think the AK gods would be happier too lol.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Howzit said:
Wish I had it in hand, a certain board member offered to sell menhis NIB and it's a beauty for sure!

My plan for the future milled spiker build, will hopefully be built on a Legend underfolder. I wouldn't do it to a nice legend underfolder, but there is a guy on island that has one he "bubba'd". He put a 74 break on it, hard chromed the whole thing, painted the pistol grip black. The hand guards are black as well, the top with holes in it and the lower with a pistol grip miles onto it. If I get a deal on it I would gladly turn it into a type56 spiker. I think the AK gods would be happier too lol.
If you are looking to put a spiker on a milled Chinese rifle you are better off doing it correctly to a milled MAK90 milled rifle. Modifying a milled Legend underfolder would actually reduce the collector value of the rifle. If you don't care about the originality of the rifle go for it; it is up to you. A purist may get slightly nauseous over that mod IMO.

· Registered
8,159 Posts
AK-47 said:
Howzit said:

If you are looking to put a spiker on a milled Chinese rifle you are better off doing it correctly to a milled MAK90 milled rifle. Modifying a milled Legend underfolder would actually reduce the collector value of the rifle. If you don't care about the originality of the rifle go for it; it is up to you. A purist may get slightly nauseous over that mod IMO.
Actually, the underlying problem with doing that on a milled MAK-90 rifle is that slant cut rear section. If you think putting an underfolding spike bayonet FSB on a Legend reduces the value, one could also say putting one on a slant cut MAK-90 is simply a waste of an underfolding spike bayonet FSB as the rifle will never look quite like what it's supposed to represent.

I chose a Legend because I had a couple extra from long ago which were purchased quite reasonably and were loose/without boxes. The particular one I used had been refinished by someone at one time, as well. So no worries there.

To the OP or anyone else, I saw rock on with utilizing the Legend for such a build. The only thing regarding value that may be lost is some that's specifically looking for a Legend and the mods done to the rifle no longer make it a Legend. Big whoop. There's more out there. I really don't think you'd have any real concerns about getting your money back out of your rifle after the mods and makeover. Plus, in utilizing the Legend you can keep the entire rifle original Chinese - no worries about silly US parts count. Use a MAK-90 and it's definately something you have to incorporate toward the project.

I think the whole point of the [pre-ban] Chinese rifle projects is to retain or use as much or only Chinese Type 56 parts as one can. That's the whole mystique with the rifles and just about the only rifles commonly available to bypass the US parts count. It means a lot to some folks to mod an existing pre-ban Chinese rifle and still be able to call it all-original Chinese afterwards.

I say certainly use whatever resources you're able to obtain for such a unique project. But I'd also say there's no reduction in collector value except to those particularly looking for an all-original Legend. But there's certainly no reduction in value of the rifle itself.

· Registered
139 Posts

I've whored this picture out enough but the top rifle is a milled Mak90 to show you what one can do with that project. The bottom two are original Legends. I would not use an original Legend for the spiker project unless it was a real beater.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.