AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. went to a build party this past weekend and had permission from a pard to take his tooling along. the barrel press kit and rivet jig got a bit of wear and tear on them (considering nearly 100 rifles were made, i'm okay with that). the threaded allen-head studs in the t-shaped plate for the barrel press kit need replaced, as does the rivet-forming allen-head stud on the rivet jig.

however, since i'm not the one who originally purchased the tooling, curtis apparently has no interest in telling me how or whether i can get new parts to replace the ones that I caused to be worn out (the owner of the tooling shouldn't have to be the one to buy the stuff and wait on it because of me).

anyone know of another vendor, since curtis apparently doesn't want my money, that offers replacements i can purchase? thanks in advance. :beer:

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Im interested as well, because Im in the same place with parts, and curtis doesn't want to deal with me either. Well, at least his lack of response to my email has told me he doesn't want to.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
ClayC said:
and curtis doesn't want to deal with me either.
That's disappointing. I've had to fix a couple of parts I broke but was able to do it myself.

THE BRIGHT SIDE is all his tools are made with off-the-shelf stuff. With some cutting or grinding you can repair most of the parts.

Any threaded part, or any part with a hex socket, was made from an allen head screw.

The T-shaped barrel press part to hold the trunion used set screws, same with the forming head of the rivet tool only the forming end was ground flat.

The long rivet set tool, those long pins for aligning, dimpling or rivet forming are made from a socket head screw where he turned the threads off in a lathe and formed the business end.

For sure MSCDirect.com will have what you need. You'll want to get GRADE 8 if you can find it. Anything less runs a risk of bending in the press.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have any way of turning the screws into rivet forming items. so buying screws isn't going to solve the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For some reason, Curtis hasn't answered any of my last 3 emails about various of his products over the past two years or so...

Very disappointing.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've bought most of his stuff so the repair parts are unlocked on my account. PM me and I'll order for you at my cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lost the rivet buck for my AK-Builder rivet jig. As soon as I told Curtis I bought it second hand, he stopped replying to emails. Really sucks as I have bought a flat bending jig, a trunnion rivet hole drilling fixture, trigger guard riveting jig, metric drills, reamers, head space gauge sets, rivet sets, over a dozen flats and more. $670 worth of AK-Builder tools and parts directly from Curtis and over $200 more via Brownells. I can see not warrantying a second hand purchase, but I have NEVER heard of anyone not SELLING replacement parts. To stop responding to emails without explanation is rather juvenile IMHO.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can and have made these pieces for some that I do some horse trading with. As you noted, the proper fix is to turn this stuff up on a lathe. Unless it is for a favor, no one wants to work for a loss and that is exactly what making these bobbles are. For what people think is an "exceptable" cost per bit - they are give aways.

So it is understandable the stand they take. Most don't want to get into an arguement so they just stop responding. It's a kin to saying, if you buy tires from me and need a realignment at anytime, I'll do it for the cost of the electricity to run the machines. It really is a service to even provide them - just no one recognizes it as such.

No this doesn't help your situation but hope it helps with the explanation of why.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never did I say I expected anything for free, or even cheaply. I'll gladly pay what the price is, but I can't even fucking do THAT until Curtis has the decency to answer the god damn phone or respond to a single fucking email. It's not that he won't support his customers (although that DOES raise a bunch of red flags right there) it's that he refuses to even communicate with those trying to GIVE HIM MONEY.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not trying to argue, I know it's frustrating and don't know what he is charging per piece. I'd bet its not $15+ per piece though. As far as email goes, I'd say it's par for the course. He did used to answer the phone but after the 'great panic' has no doubt been busy. I'm not attempting to speak on his customer service except if it's on his site and availible he seems to do a decent job on the shipping end of things and updating the tracking and order status.
Good luck with the hunt.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
understood completely, and none of my frustration is a result of anything you or anyone else here has done/said. it's just nice to have companies not run by people with a complete fear of dealing with the public.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I lost the rivet buck for my AK-Builder rivet jig. As soon as I told Curtis I bought it second hand, he stopped replying to emails. Really sucks as I have bought a flat bending jig, a trunnion rivet hole drilling fixture, trigger guard riveting jig, metric drills, reamers, head space gauge sets, rivet sets, over a dozen flats and more. $670 worth of AK-Builder tools and parts directly from Curtis and over $200 more via Brownells. I can see not warrantying a second hand purchase, but I have NEVER heard of anyone not SELLING replacement parts. To stop responding to emails without explanation is rather juvenile IMHO.

Toth tool has this part . I know because I just bought one from him.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hey all. went to a build party this past weekend and had permission from a pard to take his tooling along. the barrel press kit and rivet jig got a bit of wear and tear on them (considering nearly 100 rifles were made, i'm okay with that). the threaded allen-head studs in the t-shaped plate for the barrel press kit need replaced, as does the rivet-forming allen-head stud on the rivet jig.

however, since i'm not the one who originally purchased the tooling, curtis apparently has no interest in telling me how or whether i can get new parts to replace the ones that I caused to be worn out (the owner of the tooling shouldn't have to be the one to buy the stuff and wait on it because of me).

anyone know of another vendor, since curtis apparently doesn't want my money, that offers replacements i can purchase? thanks in advance. :beer:

Do you have an account with Curtis? I have bought replacement parts from him in the past.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't have any way of turning the screws into rivet forming items. so buying screws isn't going to solve the problem.
You don't need to turn any threads, just pick up some grade 8 bolts size 5/16" X 3 or 4" long. The threads are only on the last 1.5" or so and the rest is smooth. That is exactly why I made my own tooling. His long rivet jig bolts together, bends, uses 5/16" forming rams, and 1/2" round bucking pucks. Mine is made from 1/2" thick steel plate that's perfectly square and welded, 3/8" rams, and my pucks are made from 1.25" round stock and much more stable.
His stuff is good but not durable, his stuff wore out before I got to 50 builds, I've probably close to 500 on my stuff and it's still going.

·
Banned
1,700 Posts
Just found this thread in searching for how to correct the same issue with CURTIS

Back when I bought my building tools I called him and he was out of one or two of the items. He referred me to Randall Power at Welcome to Power Custom. Randall sold me all the stuff as he was/is a dealer for ak builder.............

Now Curtis responded to my first request for a replacement part with the simple reply, "who did you buy it from". To this response I explained the above.......

After that email to Curtis he just started ignoring me, emails and voice mails.

Simply put this means that in many circumstances your AK Builder tools have NO WARRANTY and/or NO SUPPORT.
The only way to get a replacement for a broken, worn out or missing part is to purchase a new EXPENSIVE tool and who in their right mind would buy from him again?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I wonder if he thinks people are building their own tower and just wanting to complete the jigs on the cheap with his small parts? Only reason I can fathom for dismissing the 2nd hand buyer crowd. Just a theory though. I haven't purchased anything from him.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts