AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These images used to be on my website, but when the Russian server those older pages were hosted on went down I lost those pages. I thought about recreating them, but decided to post them here first.I had a request for them tonight, so I thought I'd post them here so others can also use them for reference.

All of the finishes are original Soviet era, and many of the sets are military take-offs that came off the same exact parent rifle. A few are simply mated for color and era correctness, while one or two sets are just mated for color and similarity of wood materials and might even have a part from another factory mixed in. There's at least one unknown factory enigmatic looking buttstock here, can you find it? Must be a replacement style, I guess, but the set is Soviet era and has a very nice looking finish none the less.

Anyway, if you can use these pictures for your private research, be my guest. I also welcome others to post images of wood sets they own, or have owned, or ask questions or post comments on sets they see here.

IZHMASH AK:

IZHMASH AKM:

Mixed AKM stocks to show color variations:

Mixed sets:

izzy:

TULA AKM:

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
Oh my goodness Doug..... How do you not sleep with them at night..... I'm going to have to conveince my wife to take our honeymoon to your place... She keeps telling me she wants to go see a redwood forest for our honeymoon.... I have a redwood suprise for her...hehe

Doug, are any of these pieces for sale or is this just up for reference???

You have to be the foremost Soviet laminate collector in America... If not one of the top Kalashnikov historian/advisor... Much envy sir!!!

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I'm afraid almost all of this stuff is sold, it's been gone for years. A few members here have some of it, I'm sure. this is just for reference, i'm not trying to sell anything or brag about my collection, as I don't have any of it anymore. I was just asked by somebody why it was not on my website anymore, so I posted it here.

BTW, you should follow your wife's advice. The redwoods in Northern California are super cool. I was there around Novato for a couple of months, years ago, and it's awesome! I wish I lived someplace like Oregon or Washington, where those vampires live, hehe. it's just my style, lots of trees and lots of rain. On a cliff by the coast would be good to go. I love those giant trees. Around here it's a barren wasteland in comparison. I always tell people the only reason the town I live in is even here must be because a wagon wheel broke down back in the 1800's and they couldnt find a tree big enough to get the wood to fix it, hehe.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thanks, but I'm afraid almost all of this stuff is sold, it's been gone for years. A few members here have some of it, I'm sure. this is just for reference, i'm not trying to sell anything or brag about my collection, as I don't have any of it anymore. I was just asked by somebody why it was not on my website anymore, so I posted it here.

BTW, you should follow your wife's advice. The redwoods in Northern California are super cool. I was there around Novato for a couple of months, years ago, and it's awesome! I wish I lived someplace like Oregon or Washington, where those vampires live, hehe. it's just my style, lots of trees and lots of rain. On a cliff by the coast would be good to go. I love those giant trees. Around here it's a barren wasteland in comparison. I always tell people the only reason the town I live in is even here must be because a wagon wheel broke down back in the 1800's and they couldnt find a tree big enough to get the wood to fix it, hehe.
I think I have a few of those pieces, but it's so long ago I am not sure :cool:

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, Uncle Mike! :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
There's at least one unknown factory enigmatic looking buttstock here, can you find it? Must be a replacement style, I guess, but the set is Soviet era and has a very nice looking finish none the less.

Thanks for posting the images! Really digging all those "boat paddle" stocks! What a cool look. Man, you have/have owned a metric s#it ton of some of the coolest pieces ever! And the wherewithall to take nice pics while you had them in hand! Sticky please, mods!

The second one from the right has my vote for unknown factory enigmatic. Looks fat at the grip area, really flat sides along the length and wrist pin centered. And the pin over the swivel looks a little forward vs the rest. Nice coloration!

Robert

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys.

Rob, that one is certainly a rare stock, but not an enigma. It's an early pattern Izhevsk. You nailed the identifying characteristics of that pattern quite easily with your eagle -eyes!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Wow now that's a thread! And should be a sticky obviously. Let's see if the mod's will make that happen.

Thanks for keeping the Russian section going with new content Tantal (and others).

-Thirtycal

·
Registered
936 Posts
And then this one is my second choice...odd grain pattern, but looks like a proof-a partial circle-on it. HG's are Tula (I need to find one just like that!) Early Tula stock or enigma?

Robert

·
Registered
938 Posts
Very early AKM stock

This one came with my 1970 Tula kit - I had it with my 1970 Izhevsk kit in the photos of that kit posted here, but for now it's back with the '70 Tula until I can get some better identification on it. This one has trunnion and rear receiver fragement from the rifle it was on - it's on there real tight and defies all efforts to remove it from the stock.

Looking at Stottman's AK photos and what ever other photos of original early AKM's I can find, it seems that this style stock was used on 1960 and '61 AKM's, but was replaced by the next type in either late 1961 or sometime in 1962.

The distinctive features of this stock are the location of the reinforcing pins and the rear sling swivel.

The front reinforcing pin is centered in the wrist, in the subsequent pattern stock the pin is higher up. The rear most lower pin in the toe is up high, close to the front toe pin, and in straight line with it, instead of down in the toe close to the buttplate like the later stocks. And the upper rear pin in the heel is farther forward than in the later stocks, which have this pin closer to the buttplate. Actually, looking at the group of 5 stocks in one of the photos Tantal posted, it seems that there is a transitional stock between these 2 versions, that has the wrist crosspin centered like the earliest stocks, but has the pins in the toe and heel in the later postion.

The sling swivel on the early stock has the screws closer together and the swivel bale sits lower in the base, necessitating a clearance groove in the stock for the bale. The later stocks have the screws further apart and the swivel bale sits up higher so the clearance notch in the stock isn't needed. Without relocating the holes, you can not use an early swivel in a late stock or vice versa. Interestingly Romanian AKM stocks follow the same pattern, with the earliest ones having the same pin placement and swivel as the earliest Soviet stocks..... I wonder if the Romanians copied the earlier Soviet stock design in 1963 or whenever they first started making AKM's because this is what they had from the Soviets, or if the earliest Romanian stocks might be Soviet supplied items like some of the Cyrillic marked Soviet AKM barrels that came out of Romania.

On the upper rear left of the cut receiver attached to this stock there is a number 7 stamped into the metal, and a letter K stamped in the wood to the right of the pin in the wrist. On the right side of the stock there is a Soviet [/] boxed slash inspection/refurb mark, and above it are a Cyrillic "B" (which translates to Latin alphabet V) and a little triangle with what looks like a Cyrillic "n" (translates to our L) in it. On the bottom of the wrist there are two Cyrillic "C"'s, which translate to our "S". On the top of the stock there is an undecipherable mark on top of the wrist and 2 more further back on top of the comb.

The trunnion is the "donut hole" style with a single small hexagon proof with a number or letter in it, in front of the rear screw on the tang

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
This stock is an Izzy and had the milled donut hole RT with a partial hex proof, as yours does. Definitely an Izzy RT. It has the numeral 3 in the same spot. Based on what you said, I believe my stock is the later model since it has the wider spacing of the lower rear pins and an offset wrist pin.

Robert

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the great additions and comments, guys! Rob, you are correct, that's the one! It's exactly what an early Tula stock would look like, except it has a side swivel. Very nice looking, but very odd. I assume it's a replacement pattern made from an older wood blank? The thing that stumps me is it has the nicest factory looking finish on it, but I guess many did.

The site would only allow me to load a maximum of 25 images in one post, so I'm having to segment these images in batches. Here's the second batch. I hope to post a few 5,45mm series wood sets soon.

Anyway, first up is another fairly early take-off assembly line Izzy stock, for comparison, a little later than the one you noticed above, Rob, as it has regular style contours, but it also has the early pin placement you already mentioned.

One of my favorite light blonde colored Izzy factory finish sets, style circa 1970-71:

Original take-off 1977 Izzy set, from a PLO kit;

Four sets of real deal PLO take-off 1977 Izzy AKMS wood sets;

here's two more sets of tula wood I found images of. First up is this nice dark set I wish I still had, I could sure use it now! BTW, Ithink that upper is an Izzy but it still looks nice. Lower is Tula. Buttstock is a Tula 1970-72 pattern.

And one more, a set of 1969 Tula kit wood. Note how most 1969 Tula stocks don't have such a crazy deep (or sharply cornered) cheek weld/wrist cut like you see on the later bottom swivels stocks, for instance like the one you see in the image above, which makes a good comparison of what I'm describing.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This one came with my 1970 Tula kit - I had it with my 1970 Izhevsk kit in the photos of that kit posted here, but for now it's back with the '70 Tula until I can get some better identification on it. This one has trunnion and rear receiver fragement from the rifle it was on - it's on there real tight and defies all efforts to remove it from the stock.

Looking at Stottman's AK photos and what ever other photos of original early AKM's I can find, it seems that this style stock was used on 1960 and '61 AKM's, but was replaced by the next type in either late 1961 or sometime in 1962.

The distinctive features of this stock are the location of the reinforcing pins and the rear sling swivel.
Marcus, that's a real nice early stock, it's a testament to the amount of reutilization that goes on in these refurbishment programs. It would be cool to have the old rifle that this stock came off of. Those are hard to come by when you are actually needing to find one, especially one that's line correct like yours. Most of the stocks with the early pin patterns are some sort of Ukrainian replacement style with odd shapes and goofy finishes. Thanks for sharing these images with us. Please post any other wood shots you might have available.

BTW, I thought you said you were a poor photographer? These images (and the ones of the milled Tula LHGR) are excellent. I think it's just the lighting. When I have good lighting my images come out good, but if I have poor lighting, or have to depend on a flash, then forget about it. It's like two different peiople using two different grades of camera took them. IMO these modern digitals go a long ways towards helping even a novice photographer take close to professional looking images, as long as the lighting is up to standards. I'm not talking about the cheapest camera phones, though. Those don't seem to have lenses large enough to let in enough light, unless things are very well lit.

I actually bought a $1500 Nikon two years ago to do magazine article images, but I rely on a $200 Canon pocket camera for most parts shots as it does a better job on macro settings due to the lens, and it's more convenient and faster to drag out than that big Nikon. Plus, I just can't afford to spend another $1K+ on a Nikon macro lens I'd need to upgrade.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Early Type-2 "fatboy" stocks. These are wider and the rear section is taller in comparison to later Type-2 stocks. They also use a different butt-plate that (as far as I know) is unique to the fatboy style stocks:

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
m03, thanks for the post, those are money in the bank! Actually better than money in the bank, these days anyway!

That's the kind of wood that makes a man build a whole rifle around, if he can find the other stuff to do it. Judging by these stocks, i bet you have!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
That's the kind of wood that makes a man build a whole rifle around, if he can find the other stuff to do it. Judging by these stocks, i bet you have!
Thanks for the compliments. The one with medium wear is attached to a '52 reweld, the one with the most wear is attached to the stub of a kit that I'm currently trying to complete, and the nicest one is being held in reserve :)

1 - 20 of 419 Posts