AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one recently its a bigger one than most of the smaller prayer sized ones you see: This one is 1.5mx2m are these things worth much? My buddy who was a terp who was there in those days said it was definately Russo-Afghan war era. Will post pics at some point when I have the time.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Re: Soviet Era afghan war rug

I've got one, they're pretty sweet recently saw one on eBay with a drone, CIA embroidered on it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Soviet Era afghan war rug (Pics added)

Here are a few pics
I put a 106 in for scale.

Also my little blue monster decided to add herself in the photo to help for scale it would seem.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Re: Soviet Era afghan war rug

That's awesome, I need one of those to go along with the little prayer-rug sized one I brought home.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
The actua era-truel, "real" Afghan made ones are quite expensive and hard to find. The new Afghan-Pakistani ones commonly found are usually fairly cheap and are made/sold specifically as tourist trinkets for GI's on the bases. You can definitely tell the difference between the real ones and fake (tourist) ones.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the first one of this size I have found yet, I have heard about the larger ones but had yet to see one in multiple trips over there. I have a smaller prayer sized one I bought in early '03 for the US invasion that was of higher quality than the run of mill cotton ones that started showing up around that time. But finally I found a bigger one that was not a recent made prayer sized one for the US invasion.

It weren't cheap either, it took quite a few weeks of negotiation to get this one to a price I still was not too happy about but I can finally check off the block for this particular item.

If I ever get back there I will buy a few of the bigger normal rugs for the wifey.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The "GI" rugs being sold recently could be found at KAF and BAF for $150. Less when you'd buy a 10 pack. :flush:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up a few more recently on a trip through there.

This one is not Russo-Afghan war era made in Herat probably less than 10 years ago.

A 1980s era rug also from Herat

Another 80's era from Herat.

Here is 1980s era from Mazar-E-Sharif

Also the first one pictured in the beginning of this post came from Konduz

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'm a sucker for nice rugs. Those are pretty cool.
I had a buddy bring me back one from Afghanistan in 2003. Early, but not like the original ones.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I love the second one you posted KMFDM. Looking at it I had to make the transition from "those are interesting patterns" to "... that's a grenade." Awesome stuff there!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yepper. grenades, helicopters, tanks, APCs, jetplanes, rifles and RPGs seem to be commonplace in motifs on most of them that I had seen so far which admittedly was not many.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts