AK Rifles banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Combining the last of my South African gear into one thread. Slings and Battle Jackets: if a specific numbered item is not listed, it is already sold. This is the last of my SADF gear and I won't be getting any more.

Rules:

-First "I'll take it", gets it. PM me after you post please!
-CROSS-POSTED so time stamp rules
-I accept discreet PayPal (no "gun words"!), USPS Money Orders, or Cash
-If you have any questions, please PM me.
-Willing to combine shipping with any other items I'm selling/ work out a package deal

R4/R5 slings from South Africa, but they'll work on other types of rifles too. Various conditions, All slings are still very usable. The do not need hooks to work, and they were usually used without the hooks anyways, they just thread through the sling mount and loop. Most have seen some kind of use and will have some South African dust and grime in them that's included for free :) Some metal hardware will have some chips in the paint and possibly minor rust

Full size pics here:

ONLY THE STUFF LISTED IS AVAILABLE, so please don't ask me about the items NOT listed. Those were SOLD long ago.
ONLY THE STUFF LISTED IS AVAILABLE, so please don't ask me about the items NOT listed. Those were SOLD long ago.

Salty Bois.
These slings have seen things, so stains, dirt, worn paint and a little bit of surface on the buckles, etc. But still in perfect working condition:
3 - $38 shipped
4 - $38 shipped

Light Use:
Will have some wear, some staining, and/or some dirt.
6 - wide tab LMG type with frayed ends, has some "trench" writing - $57 shipped
SOLD
9 - has a decent amount of staining - $57 shipped

Two of them (#5 and #6) have wider tabs. Size difference:

Example of buckle condition, note the tiny paint chipping and surface rust:

BIG PRICE DROP on each Battle Jacket!

SADF M83 / Pattern 83 "Battle Jackets"

Took absolutely forever to go through and photograph all these- These are the M83 / P83 / Pattern 83 Battle Jackets from South Africa and are some of the coolest pieces of kit ever fielded. This was quite a few years of collecting SA gear to get everything you see here. This is the last of my South African gear for sale so I will not have anymore after these are gone.

ALL OF THESE were issued so don't expect perfect condition rigs (some might be 30-40 years old!). I took a lot of pictures with some close ups so you can see the conditions. Most have some kind of soldier writing, some sun fading, field/barracks repairs, minor scuffs and tiny holes, and of course all kinds of quality South African dirt, stains, and grime. I did my best to accurately describe each vest and to point out any major defects. All these Battle Jackets are 100% complete and ready to go unless otherwise noted.

Full size pics here (56k warning! 150 pictures!):
3x reference pics from Kommandostore's website (I am not affiliated with Kommandostore, they just have well displayed example pictures):

Here's a description of the rig from Kommandostore (since I'm not allowed to link to the webpage). You can find many more detailed reference pics on their site too (again, I'm not affiliated with them in any way):
In October 2015, Pattern 83 was fully discontinued by the South African Defense Force. Since then, supplies of PAT 83 equipment have decreased exponentially due to heavy domestic and foreign demand (and a couple Mad Max movies).

History and Overview

The Pattern 83 webbing system was produced to fill a very specific need in the South African military. In the later years of the Border War, the SADF was hurting for a comfortable, lightweight, and simple-to-use load bearing system. As with much of the equipment of the time, private sector commercial outfitters helped the military design and produce an effective solution. The resulting “battle jacket” (heavily influenced by Rhodesian Fireforce webbing) is still in use today by the South African Defense Force and has been featured as the go-to load bearing gear of various movie baddies (see Blood Diamond, District 9, and most recently Mad Max).

The iconic “Nutria brown” pouches on the vest are made of a waterproofed Cordura nylon. You’ll find a heavy wear-resistant coating inside the pouches. The “body” of the vest is a padded breathable nylon mesh which distributes weight evenly across your shoulders, back, and hips. In total, there are five magazine pouches, each capable of holding two standard capacity mags (for a grand total of ten). Although originally intended for R4 (Galil) magazines, we’ve found the pockets are plenty roomy and will even accommodate some battle rifle users.

On the sides of the vest there are two large pouches intended for canteens. In a pinch, they can be used as dump pouches for empty magazines, but we’d recommend using them for their original purpose (dehydration is no joke). Smaller pockets arranged around the water pouches are intended to hold grenades but work just as well for storing cleaning kits and other miscellaneous small gear. The large lower pouch in the front can fit even more magazines or be used to store bandages and other bulkier items. The backpack pouch features a roomy upper and lower compartment, with additional straps to secure a bed roll.

Specs

Waterproof, durable Cordura nylon with nylon mesh webbing
Nutria brown color, designed to get dirty and build a natural camouflage
Padding along shoulders, back and hips
Webbing can be adjusted and secured with buckles to fit all sizes

Pouches
Five double magazine pouches hold up to ten 30rd magazines
One large front pouch
Two large canteen side pouches
Two small side grenade pouches
Large “backpack” pouch with two compartments

Instructions
Featured here we have the original SADF field manual containing adjustment, handling and maintenance information on all P83 equipment. Battle Jacket usage information can be found on pages A4-A4, A9, and A34-A46.:
Pattern 83 Equipment Soldier Manual

The vest has 4x double mag pouches which can fit a variety of mags- AR, AK 762/556/545, Galil/R4, etc. Wider mags like FAL/G3/Scar17/etc can fit but they are a tight fit and generally only 1 wider mag can fit per pouch (as opposed to 2x per pouch). The flaps are on the shorter side, so generally when running longer mags, the flaps are just tucked in the pouch.
Some size examples:

FULL SIZE PICS Here (56k Warning - there are 150 pictures):
Rules:
-First "I'll take it", gets it. PM me after you post with your preferred payment method, which item, and shipping address please!
-CROSS-POSTED so time stamp rules
-I accept discreet PayPal (no "gun words"!), USPS Money Orders, or Cash
-If you have any questions, please PM me.
-Willing to combine shipping with any other items I'm selling/ work out a package deal
-I generally will reply back within 24 hours

Each rig has at least 4x pics of it (Front, Front Open, Back), but since 150 pictures in one thread is quite a bit, I'm just doing one picture per.
So again, please go to
imgur.com to see ALL 150 pictures (you can click on them to zoom in too)

Most have been issued and seen some kind of use and will have some South African dust in them that's included for free. ALL will be fully functional with complete buckles unless otherwise noted. Some might have some soldier writing on them. PLEASE LOOK AT ALL 4+ pictures for each chest rig before claiming one!

A few different conditions available
. All will have at least a little bit of wear and possibly soldier/barracks repairs. Some might have some staining, soldier writings, or South African dirt and such. A majority have sweat stains on the shoulder straps, again - LOOK AT FULL SIZE PICS, I made sure to photograph both sides so you know exactly what you are getting. Velcro all still works but could possibly be a little frayed and might have bits of grass, dirt, fuzz, and/or string in it, could be removed easily by end user. Look pretty good for being 30-40 year-old rigs:
Good: Lots of wear, possibly some field repairs, everything works perfectly
Good+: Less wear than "Used"
Very Good-: Less wear than "Used+"
Very Good: Less wear than "VG-"
Very Good +: Not much wear
DIY/Seamstress Special: Will have rips, missing parts, broken zippers or buckles, etc. All defects will be listed and pictured. Still usable, but could definitely use some work. It's tough material, so trying to fix webbing with a basic cheap home sewing machine is not recommended.

NOS 2 Liter South African Canteens - $30 each ALL SOLD
These are ONLY for sale to those buying one of the the Battle Jackets.
https://i.imgur.com/xIEpxNOl.jpg
How they fit into the canteen pouches:
https://i.imgur.com/pcLdgnil.jpg

7. Possible repairs, soldier writings, complete, VG-, some little holes.
$165 Shipped

imgur.com
imgur.com
Stains on #7:
imgur.com
imgur.com

The Fixer-Uppers / DIY / Seamstress Specials
#20-28 all have missing or defective parts. Blue, yellow, or green tape will be in the pics on the battle jackets to easily point out any defects, so BE SURE TO LOOK AT ALL THE PICTURES.

25. DIY Condition. Repairs, Very Little soldier writings, NO zippers, NO working front buckles, torn shoulder padding (but still usable since it has the reinforced webbing straps).
$135 Shipped

imgur.com
imgur.com
#25 torn shoulder strap (strap still usable since reinforcement straps still support everything):
imgur.com

26. DIY Condition. Repairs, NO soldier writing, NO working front buckles, missing 2x side straps, ripped pouch corner, top pack flap needs velcro strip and other velcro sewn on.
$135 Shipped

imgur.com
imgur.com
#26 lower mag pouch that needs corner sewn back on:
imgur.com
#26 left side lower missing 1x strap and 2x buckles:
imgur.com
#26 top part of pack velcro needs repair:
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

27. DIY Condition. Repairs, soldier writing, NO top front buckles, both zippers on pack are seized, ripped top flap on pack, hole in mesh behind front pouch (not visible when wearing), ripped velcro, top mag pouch needs corner repaired.
$135 Shipped

imgur.com
imgur.com
#27 velcro needs repair:
imgur.com
#27 top flap of backpack needs to be sewn back on
imgur.com
#27 seized ZIPPPEERED?
imgur.com

28. DIY Good Condition. Repairs, soldier writing, some staining, lots of velcro that needs to be sewn back on, missing 2x canteen tie down straps, seized bottom zipper of back pack, NO working front buckles. $135 Shipped

imgur.com
imgur.com
#28 velcro needs to be repaired:
imgur.com
#28 velcro needs to be repaired:
imgur.com
#28 LEFT SIDE side above side pouch needs small repair:
imgur.com

1 - 1 of 1 Posts