AK Rifles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can see the trees being whipped, hear debris hitting the trailing engine from which the video came, and then see debris flying through the air from the F3 tornado that blows some cars over.

<iframe width="901" height="534" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I want to see Mr. Ed look-alike Ally Oc-Co's "solar and wind powered train to Hawaii" (With Brandon and Klamala as the engineers, and the Senate and House Democrats as the passengers) , vs. a "sharknado".

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I saw this video a few years ago. There is no match to a tornado. Sure hurricanes have high winds and flooding, but tornadoes can have winds up to 300 mph and very little warning one is coming not days like a hurricane.

Two years ago on Memorial Day at night there was an outbreak of tornadoes in Ohio. 21 tornadoes hit Ohio with 15 tornadoes just in the Miami Valley. Three hit the Dayton area, an EF4, EF3, and EF2. ODOT used snowplows to remove debris from I-75. The EF4 was over a half mile wide and traveled for 20 miles.

Town I used to live in (Celina) had an EF-3 that killed a man asleep in his house when a car was thrown into his bedroom. 43 houses were damaged in 2019. There is still damage to that town. I live in a town about 10 miles from there that lost electric for 12 hours because of the tornado. That is the third tornado to hit Celina since 2011. In 2017, I went to Celina to go to a shoe store. When I pulled into the parking lot, I saw a Menards sign no longer lit up and the shoe store was dark. I drove off to go to my parents house a few miles away since they have a basement. As I was driving, there was debris falling from the sky in front of me. I later found out I was about 1/4 mile form an EF2 tornado. The debris falling looked like foam insulation. Might of been from Crown since it tore the roof up on it. But it also completely destroyed a Dollar General and heavily damaged a Dunham's Sports store. During the 2011 EF2 tornado I was about 5 minutes from being on a road that it crossed close to midnight. This one destroyed an Aldi grocery store and caused damage to Menards and Walmart along with other property damage.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Looks nice but the engine looks intact because of it's own weight, the carts in other hand imho were empty but still heavy.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Looks nice but the engine looks intact because of it's own weight, the carts in other hand imho were empty but still heavy.
If you watch the video on Youtube, the tank car was loaded. This was a Union Pacific train. I am guessing the engine in the video is a GE AC4400CW which weighs 426,000 pounds. The car coupled to the engine is a covered hopper which has external posts like a 4750 cubic foot. Possibly made by Pullman-Standard or Trinity which weighs about 66,000 pounds empty (light weight) and has a load capacity of 100 tons (200,000 pounds). The last car in the video is a Norfolk Southern 60' high cube boxcar that has a light weight of about 84,000 pounds and a load limit of 100 tons also. Most of the lines of class 1 roads have a gross rail loading limit of 286,000 pounds for each rail car. Even empty rail cars weigh a lot and a tornado can push them over.

A tornado in Dallas, Texas in 2012 picked up semi trailers and threw them. Empty 53' dry van trailers weigh about 15,000 pounds and empty 53' container on chassis is about 19,000 pounds.

Video can be watched. Just link the link to Youtube.

Reactions: Judi

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you watch the video on Youtube, the tank car was loaded. This was a Union Pacific train. I am guessing the engine in the video is a GE AC4400CW which weighs 426,000 pounds. The car coupled to the engine is a covered hopper which has external posts like a 4750 cubic foot. Possibly made by Pullman-Standard or Trinity which weighs about 66,000 pounds empty (light weight) and has a load capacity of 100 tons (200,000 pounds). The last car in the video is a Norfolk Southern 60' high cube boxcar that has a light weight of about 84,000 pounds and a load limit of 100 tons also. Most of the lines of class 1 roads have a gross rail loading limit of 286,000 pounds for each rail car. Even empty rail cars weigh a lot and a tornado can push them over.

A tornado in Dallas, Texas in 2012 picked up semi trailers and threw them. Empty 53' dry van trailers weigh about 15,000 pounds and empty 53' container on chassis is about 19,000 pounds.

Video can be watched. Just link the link to Youtube.

Sir, You not only know about guns....Your very knowledgeable about trains also....Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,757 Posts
I was reasonably close to a tornado one time in my life, but not THAT close! Thanks for that, it was cool to see.

·
Registered
768 Posts
@43m1garand
you are right. I'm just saying that the power od the nature is very high and I've just supposed that the mass of engine is much higher than the carts - just because of that the engine wasn't blown away.

There is also one important thing that all the carts chained together worked as a sail and the one which was blown took others and all od them felt down.

This is only my conception about it and I could be wrong.

Reactions: Judi and 43m1garand

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
@43m1garand
you are right. I'm just saying that the power od the nature is very high and I've just supposed that the mass of engine is much higher than the carts - just because of that the engine wasn't blown away.

There is also one important thing that all the carts chained together worked as a sail and the one which was blown took others and all od them felt down.

This is only my conception about it and I could be wrong.
That could be a possibility.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Youtube documentary of some tornadoes. Tri-state tornado (longest track), largest tornado (El Reno, OK 2.6 miles wide), fastest tornado ground speed (94.6 mph), and fastest subvortex ground speed (175 mph).

I have heard of the Tri-State Tornado. Some people believe it was actually several tornadoes in a line instead of one long tracked tornado. Either way it was the deadliest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts